What is scalping

mikeyk

Hey,

I hear a lot of the members talking about scalping and was wondering if anyone could offer an explanation of what it is.

Cheers

It is the self removal of body hair due the extreme stress of big positions.

twalker said:
It is the self removal of body hair due the extreme stress of big positions.

ROFLMAO, nice!

Scalping, generally, is the buying or selling of a large amount of stock, looking for a few points before closing the position. I t can be a very fraught way of life!

Its getting hold of a British or Spanish white man and removing the top of his head.

JonnyT

I saw it on a tv ad. There was this chick. Something about a Head & Shoulders pattern I think. She said wash and rinse for a better scalp, but these are 2 patterns I'm not familiar with.

Ask Skim - she may know.

Someone in the office reckons its something to do with Brazilians?

JonnyT

Ah yes, I know it well - there's the big pattern which is the head & shoulders, then there are those itsy bitsy trades you do to get tiny pieces of the head & shoulders. Dandruff trades, I think they're called. :cheesy:

This guy must have been a great scalper:

"Every man ought to get a tattoo and shave his head at least once."
Mark Cameron, weightlifter, 1976

Hi Mikeyk

a great place to look for the meanings and definitions of key trading terms is in the Glossary under the heading Resources at the top of this page.

This says something about what type of trader we are talking about.

"Scalping, predated the mid-eighteenth century. Historical records, archaeology, and other sciences strongly indicate the practice originated among certain Native American tribes. A French soldier, identified by the initials J. C. B., related in his memoirs that "this horrible custom was practiced by these savages alone, and sprang from their own barbarism, for it seems never to have existed in any other nation, not even among nations, who, like them, have never received any idea of civilized life."

Correct and forgive me if I am wrong but I seem to have been detecting a mocking of or derogatory tone towards the trading method of scalping just recently. Why is scalping seemingly looked down upon? and what are the alternatives for a day trader?

Cheers.

It's looked down upon by virtue of the fact it's easier to see what you're doing.

If you (or they) were looking up, lord knows how well you'd do.

Take your thumb off most probably.

jtrader,

I don't think anyone is mocking scalping. Or am I wrong? I, personally, was just having fun with words. I think scalping is difficult to do and those who succeed at it - as with most things - are to be admired. Unfortunately, I'm not in that number. And humour does take away the pain. Or is that whiskey? Jeez! Confused again...