What are you watching now?

Been reminiscing about oldies. Started off with Orson Welles.
Ended up with this old, old and rare interview with Katherine Hepburn.
Wow! What a difference in the quality of talent, poise, style, class she had compared to what we have today.
A fascinating life; a golfer, would-be surgeon, burglar(!), and a movie star.
There are two parts, below is part 1.
Notice in the early set up, her total confidence, not diva-ish, in setting up the stage, before deciding she was ready for the interview!

do you watch the sky documentaries on the lives of the older stars ? ...some great stuff

at the moment we are revisiting some classics during lockdown !

On the last series again now of the Sopranos .....just as good as last time

Trying to get wife to watch Sons of Anarchy (will be my second time) - shes not biting

may revisit Breaking bad again ...i just cant get into it !!!

too soon to go back to the Walking dead ......maybe in 6 months time

the vikings is legendary but again too soon

as is the epic Game of thrones watched in december

most of the new stuff on amazon and Netflix and Sky is cr*p ......

like the Tribes of Europa on Netflix .....seriously .....?.....my 86 year old deaf mother in law could have dubbed that better
spare me ....

anyone got anything worth pitching to me ?

otherwise i'm soon back on even britbox pulling out older classics from the archives

N
Neil; I would pitch "The Last Kingdom" to you. The story of Saxon England and the Vikings. It's based on historical facts but, spun into a fictional story. Quite violent, and bloody, but I'm hooked. Looking forward to series 5 coming up later in the year.

Neil; I would pitch "The Last Kingdom" to you. The story of Saxon England and the Vikings. It's based on historical facts but, spun into a fictional story. Quite violent, and bloody, but I'm hooked. Looking forward to series 5 coming up later in the year.
Hey alan

Yep watched it.....excellent !

Digging through BritBox at moment.....some of the older crime series ....

I have always been a fan of 'high concept' Sci-Fi genre as opposed to spaceships, aliens and laser guns Sci-fi like Star Wars. Three thought provoking movies that come to mind are Moon, The Thirtenth Floor and The Matrix (the first one only, not the sequels which are abominations).

I have entertained the idea (prior to seeing TTF and TM) that we are simulations in a super-computer or living in a simulated reality with physical parts outside, but I only recently discovered the simulation argument by Nick Bostrom! I never realised that the odds of us being a simulation are almost 50%...I never imagined it was so high...almost a toss of a coin that you are a simulation...

Up to this point, I thought the Parallel Universe theories put forward by scientists like Max Tegmark were very plausible. The simulation argument surpasses them, completely.

Why You're Probably Not a Simulation​

A summary of the book, by the author himself.
If you havent read the book, what better place for a review of the chapters than the writer!

An interview with the man himself. Very interesting(y)

Nick Bostrom - The Simulation Argument (Full)​

I feel so uncultured when I find people like this, I feel I should have known about them sooner.
Lionel Shriver has many more op-eds, and is such a clever and eloquent antidote to wokeness.

I have been watching ‘The Bold Type’. It is quite interesting and covers various stereotypes and challenges them in each episode. The female leads have been shown to be quite proactive and sturdy on their grounds, which makes it a wonderful series.

Queens Gambit, as mentioned a couple of times before, is a beautiful story.
I am getting a bit tired of explosions, shoot-em-ups, car chases, et, so Queens Gambit is a refreshing change.

Having said that about blood and gore, Kill Bill Vol1 is available on Netflix.
You don't get to see many female heroes doing knife-fights and sword-fights, so there's that.
(I am not a wokey, by the way!)

One thing I have issues with is when they only offer some films in a series.
Netflix are showing only Split, which is part of a trilogy of Unbreakable, Split and Glass.
That bugs me.

EDIT: staying on topic "What am I watching now".
A soap-opera called the market, starring DAX and US30.
Lots of shocks, twists and turns, repetitive plots, emotional roller-coaster of highs and lows.
Compelling. (I think the butler did it.)

Last edited: