Wallstreet1928 Analysis & live calls on FTSE,DAX,S&P...aimed to help New traders

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi- why do you have such high stop losses?

research suggests the optimal/efficient stop loss for the greatest return is

25 -30 points for European indices (although DAX is becoming like the DOW)

40 points for US indices (S&P is an exception as it is more calm so I tend to go with 30)

I will try to find the link for you and you can have a read

Especially in this market, its just too volatile. I am a lazy trader and if I attempted a 10 point stop loss it would get taken out very quickly unless you are a very good timer.
Anything below 20 points does not take margin for error into consideration in my opinion but we are all different traders and whatever works for you my friends.......

Is anyyone in here making consistant profit from FTSE100 at all? Because I personally think day trading this is geniunely not healthy.

Is anyyone in here making consistant profit from FTSE100 at all? Because I personally think day trading this is geniunely not healthy.

I've heard this before about trading the FTSE. People say its better to trade other indices etc, but I've personally found the FTSE pretty smooth to trade. Could I have your take on why you think the FTSE isn't great to trade?

40 points for US indices (S&P is an exception as it is more calm so I tend to go with 30)

Especially in this market, its just too volatile. I am a lazy trader and if I attempted a 10 point stop loss it would get taken out very quickly unless you are a very good timer.
Anything below 20 points does not take margin for error into consideration in my opinion but we are all different traders and whatever works for you my friends.......

I'd be really interested to find out how they calculated 25-30 points as an optimum stop ...pls let me know..

I agree with you that 10 points is a tight stop, but yes, timing is crucial, and I only place trades where I'm as certain as possible of the direction. I used to do 25 a lot (and sometime I do in high vol days), but it's pretty quiet at the moment...

I've been doing fairly ok- but if/when the vol dies down, then who knows what will happen...I'll take longer term views.

That link would be interesting for sure. Personally, I don't like to see my losses go that high (30 points), but its great to hear different ways of trading - I'm still learning

all open positions closed out at 4159
summary-
short ftse @ 4154.3 stopped out at -10 point
short ftse @ 4151.8 stopped out at +7.2 point
short ftse @ 4149.5 stopped out at +9.5 point

Net P&L= +6.7 points (bit annoyed at the one that stopped out)

Daily P&L= 6.7+11.3+1.5+3+10= +31 points

Status
Not open for further replies.