Vasectomy

Nowler

Experienced member
1,538 232
earn this right how exactly, and how will you know if cannot raise kids if you've never had one? keep a goldfish alive for a few weeks??
and as for a license, you think a test should suffice? you've passed a test, ergo go and procreate. thats going to be better is it for all children that their parent(s) managed to pass a test first? you can still have a license, and drink and drive...

Good question!
I'm not really sure...

How about:
* Having a job
* Being a certain level above the "at risk of poverty line"
* Having the means to get private healthcare

That right there focuses on those who cost the state the most.

Now... how you enforce those things gets a bit hairy.

Pat494

Legendary member
14,617 1,581
Some might argue that those with severe genetic disorders should not pass on dud genes making their children suffer too. Besides all the resources they use up.
But then Stephen Hawking was a case where he contributed a lot even with his disabilities. We have been through the blond Aryan superman era and they were warlike swine. So who is to say ?

M

member275544

0 0
Good question!
I'm not really sure...

How about:
* Having a job
* Being a certain level above the "at risk of poverty line"
* Having the means to get private healthcare

That right there focuses on those who cost the state the most.

Now... how you enforce those things gets a bit hairy.

Michael Jackson would have ticked all those boxes...

Nowler

Experienced member
1,538 232
Michael Jackson would have ticked all those boxes...

True,
But nothing is perfect.

You know who wouldnt tick all those boxes?
Over 50% of the global population. Probably closer to 70%. And that 50 to 70% are the ones who typically have the most kids.

Start somewhere and readjust.

Nowler

Experienced member
1,538 232
Some might argue that those with severe genetic disorders should not pass on dud genes making their children suffer too. Besides all the resources they use up.
But then Stephen Hawking was a case where he contributed a lot even with his disabilities. We have been through the blond Aryan superman era and they were warlike swine. So who is to say ?

It's not an easy one to work out. But then again, think of all those who suffer from poverty every day. And then suffer health conditions as a result of said poverty. Left unchecked, billions and billions of more people will be brought into existence only to suffer the same faith.

For every 1 great person who overcame such adversity, there are tens of thousands who do not. Millions maybe?

M

member275544

0 0
True,
But nothing is perfect.

You know who wouldnt tick all those boxes?
Over 50% of the global population. Probably closer to 70%. And that 50 to 70% are the ones who typically have the most kids.

Start somewhere and readjust.

mate if Gandhi and martin luther king are out...michael jackson is still in... how precisely do you readjust if they were never born in the first place..
oh i know, we dont have enough thought leaders, lets loosen the criteria for a generation perhaps?
no, we are all born equal and if some of us have to work harder than others, so be it and the chances are these are the people who are going to make a difference

what you're doing, is effectively saying if i am poor and stupid, therefore my kin will be and therefore should never have been born
wow, what a particularly sad way of looking at life...or not as the case may be
good luck with your procedure, and god help us all

Nowler

Experienced member
1,538 232
Also, I hope you are not getting snippy with me mate. I'm just expressing an opinion. I'm not out clubbing newborns or anything.

I respect that you have your own opinion. I'm not calling you a bad person because I dont agree with you.

tomorton

Legendary member
8,438 1,365
Having fewer children in the developed countries of the world will not solve global over-population issues. Firstly, our families are rarely more than 4 children in total, so having 1 instead of 2 or 2 instead of 3 isn't going to give a very dramatic decline curve. Having 2 instead of 11 on the other hand would but this is not a common western model.

Plus, having fewer children won't relieve the stress on the NHS. NHS resources would simply be ratcheted down if the UK had a declining population. So it would still end up being a [email protected] overall health service (though reasonably good accident / critical illness service).

In any case, what if you had zero children, but your neighbour had 2 children and both qualified as doctors. Who's done more to help the planet?

Pat494

Legendary member
14,617 1,581
The real crunch is going to come when IA makes an industrialised country a 30% to 50% unemployment level.
What are all those people going to do ?
How much more population can Europe absorb of the excess population from countries like India, Pakistan, Africa etc. ?
Free contraceptive pills or doctoring their water supplies ?
I wonder.

Nowler

Experienced member
1,538 232
Why does it have to be a dramatic declining curve?
People tend to look for the 1 big fix as opposed to multiple smaller one. Any sort of progress is going to give us more time to figure things out.

I honestly dont have all the answers, clearly. But something needs to happen. Inaction when action is needed makes one somewhat guilty. We are all responsible for this, in one way or another.

tomorton

Legendary member
8,438 1,365
It needs to be a dramatic curve if there's going to be quick and significant impact on fast-depleting global resources. Only the right action has the right effect, the rest is just activity.

Nowler

Experienced member
1,538 232
It needs to be a dramatic curve if there's going to be quick and significant impact on fast-depleting global resources. Only the right action has the right effect, the rest is just activity.

If we cant get a big fix, which we havent thus far... then anything is better than nothing.

Plus, incremental small changes might be more likely to work as opposed to the resistance towards dramatic change.

As it stands, are we doing anything?
Politicians are terrified to bring up the topic because the backlash would be enormous.
The can just keeps getting kicked down the road.

Eventually we get to the state of China. Then all of a sudden such suggestions dont seem so bad.

Nowler

Experienced member
1,538 232
Update:
Ive postponed the procedure.

I'm still certain I dont want demon spawn, but the fear of chronic pain has gotten into my head the closer the date has gotten.

I've had chronic pain before and it's no joke! Ruined my life for years.
I'm postponing this until I figure somethings out.

Got my hip replaced at 18, then 3 years later they could regrow bone...
It's not urgent that I get the snip right now, so until I figure somethings out, I dont want to risk going back to having chronic pain. Especially ball pain...

Apparently the risks are not as low as the doctor would have me believe.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

But it's thanks to our sponsors that access to Trade2Win remains free for all. By viewing our ads you help us pay our bills, so please support the site and disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock