Updata

guibraga

Hello everyone !
I´m in the search for EOD Data....

I saw a very good review of our friend of UPDATA...

Does anyone uses and can tell me your opinion ?

Thanks
Guilherme

Hello Everyone.
I´m in my search for EOD Data...

Does anyone uses UPDATA eod ?
I talked to a member and he said it´s very nice...

Thanks
Guilherme

I believe the package offered for EOD together with the TA package will be good value but it depends what you want to do with the data

Rognvald said:
I believe the package offered for EOD together with the TA package will be good value but it depends what you want to do with the data

Hello Rognvald !

I just need a trustable data... I´m not going to do baktesting, or trading systems... I just want data to look after work in my home...

Ps. do you know which markets does the updata give EOD DATA wirh the TA PAckage ?

Thanks
Guilherme

A worldwide range of equities from a large assortment of exchanges. I believe 50K+ instruments in total

The feed used by Updata is S& P Comstock and their pricing model charges for data plus their analytical software. The data is supplied in a proprietory form I believe and so can only be used on their kit. On the other hand their TA package is adaptable to other data feeds but you still have to pay for theirs whether you use it or not

use esignal for worldwide coverage........... www.esignal.com
use sharescope for U.K.......www.sharescope.co.uk
i personally use esignal, although it's in realtime.........
have never used sharescope, but its been described to me as excellent value for money.
just my 2 p worth

adrianallen99 said:
What do you need the EOD for, do you need charts or just the data.

Hello Adrian !

in fact, I just need the eod data for US, UK and some european markets.
but I got interested in Updata because it gives me the eod data for a nice price...

Thanks
Guilherme

Hi Guibraga,

The best way to find out whether or not Updata’s software meets your needs is to use it and you can download a fourteen day trial from here:

http://www.updata.co.uk/shop/freetrialAll.asp

The LSE EOD version should give you most of the daily data you need and it includes prices from NYSE, AMEX and NASDAQ, plus – as it says on the box - prices from about 40 other exchanges around the world.

You can also import and export data in standard “Updata” CSV format: there’s no big deal about doing this in Excel, for example; you just need to ensure that you’ve got the record structure in the correct format.

You can also use Metastock and CSI data if you’ve got access to these databases - I think there are probably others - and that just about covers everything really unless you’re thinking about using real-time data feeds and/or trading futures.

Incidentally, were you talking about David Watts review earlier?

HTH

Cheers

Mayfly

Updata's EOD and intraday snapshot work quite well for me. You can certainly have all the data you want and look at it all night, no problems. You can also set it up to run on machines at work and at home but only have one instance running ar a time.

Hi all,

I'm currently trialling the eod version of Updata TA and although there is still the odd glitch overall I really like the interface and look of the charts, it also seems very intuitive.

My question is, Sharescope is cheaper for eod but is the datamining feature in it as good as that of Updata TA ? I get the impression that the sharescope scanner is more about scanning for fundamental criteria plus moving averages only. Is it also posible to use it to scan for complex technical indicator patterns as you can with updata ? This is a really powerful feature which might swing me toward Updata TA despite the occasional glitch and extra price.

ps. Also does Sharescope have an optimisation feature like Updata TA ?

pps. sorry just noticed the updata v sharescope thread, whoops !

TIA.

Last edited:
Money magnet,
My take is that Sharescope is better if your main bias is towards fundamentals whereas Updata is more useful if your bias is towards any of a range of trading indicators.
There is a huge ovelap of course.
The key really isn't in what they can do but in what they can do for you that you understand and are comfortable with.
Regards

Nildes

Updata Customers

Does anyone work for any of these companies and can backup this statement. http://www.updata.co.uk/customers/

Updata is used by some of the biggest financial institutions in the world with more big names taking the system all the time.

You need to be a leader to work with the brightest talent in the business. That’s why more and more market professionals and serious private investors are turning to Updata.

Samuel

..........is there a site which is not controlled by updata where user's REAL comments can be verified..??

zambuck said:
..........is there a site which is not controlled by updata where user's REAL comments can be verified..??

how about HERE on T2W ? :)

by no means a major banking institution, (just a dusty study in rural Shropshire), I was a user of Updata TA for a long time.
I stopped using them out of a fit of pique when the costs rose by something like 25% in one go.
Their reasons were that they hadnt raised rates for a long while, and they were just catching up with inflation etc.
I am beginning to regret that decision, and intend to rejoin Updata soon.

They DO listen to users.
I had moaned about there not being a Donchian Channel study, and one of the next upgrades, lo and behold, they had Donchian Channels.
I also was concerned their Fib-extensions didnt have 127%. It still doesnt, but they did ask me to justify my request, and they replied knowledgeably.

Due to some deal with the data providers, you can only download EOD data to csv file, etc. You cant donwload intra-day data, even though I had signed up for real-time data. That was a bug-bear, as I wanted to day-trade, and couldnt download intra-day data for excel studies.

The only other major downer is that the back-tests only work on MA X-overs. You cant build in studies on other indicators, which is a shame.
Nor can you load your own studies as you can with MT4.

However, you can get FX, Indices, stocks, (US and UK ), commodities etc, all in one platform.

Overall, I rate Updata highly. Their platform is quite user-friendly and easily customisable.

You weren’t really expecting HM The Queen’s broker to come on here to confirm that they use Updata’s software, were you?

But then, maybe you’d be forgiven for thinking it was a bit of daft question in the first place - sorry, Samuel!

So far as I know, Updata routinely consults its users about its products and services. The reason I’m telling you this is because if the TA Focus Groups that I’ve have attended are representative - where among other things - they consult small groups of their users about product development, etc – half of the attendees were drawn from the institutions. Three of whom were professionals representing separate institutions on this list: http://www.updata.co.uk/customers/

I’m not sure why this should be a surprise to anyone really: it’s got a world class product set that’s backed by people who enjoy international reputations and it’s obviously on a bit of a roll at the moment.

HTH

Cheers

Mayfly

I don't think it was a daft question, the board has over 50,000 members so 2 or 3 of them could work or have worked for these companies.
Thanks for your feedback though, atleast this thread has been started up again.
Have a good weekend

Last edited: