Updata, How do I remove it

breadman

Established member
Hello All,

I have just downloaded a 2 week trial version of Updata which had not loaded properly. I am trying to remove using add/remove programs. It has come back with the message COULD NOT OPEN INSTALL.LOG FILE. What other way could I remove it. I have tried Updata still no reply for their tech help desk.

Thanks,

Breadman

breadman said:
Hello All,

I have just downloaded a 2 week trial version of Updata which had not loaded properly. I am trying to remove using add/remove programs. It has come back with the message COULD NOT OPEN INSTALL.LOG FILE. What other way could I remove it. I have tried Updata still no reply for their tech help desk.

Thanks,

Breadman
Assuming updat is an installable program then open explorer or my computer find the directory it is in (probally looks like the name) right clik and select delete thus deleting the whole folder. That won't get stuff out the of registry that was placed in there due to the first installation but you should be able to download the program again and reinstall with no problems.

If you have WindowsXP you can restore your PC to an earlier date before you loaded this software. What version of Windows are you running ?

Paul

I'd suggest you don't delete the folder, as whilst a reinstall would indeed generally work okay Updata TA wouldn't let me reinstall when I tried this a couple of years back, and for all I know the same still applies - I had an install that only partly installed, the trial said 'you've already trialled this' when I tried to reinstall it, and my trial timed out while I waited for tech support to reply.

Delete the folder and that junk will therefore stay in the registry - Norton system works or similar would probably shift the orphan keys etc., but better not go there to start with. Anyhow, attempting to reinstall with the folder already present is no problem - any decent installer will cope with that better than it'll cope with registry issues....

Bets bet is try to get a complete install by running it again - if it won't allow that either reset to an earlier XP save point (Start - Help/Support option - 'Pick a Task' -> 'Undo changes to your computer with System Restore' is the XP Pro sequence)
or get on the phone to support... much better than emails when I tried them.

DaveJB said:
I'd suggest you don't delete the folder, as whilst a reinstall would indeed generally work okay Updata TA wouldn't let me reinstall when I tried this a couple of years back, and for all I know the same still applies - I had an install that only partly installed, the trial said 'you've already trialled this' when I tried to reinstall it, and my trial timed out while I waited for tech support to reply.

Delete the folder and that junk will therefore stay in the registry - Norton system works or similar would probably shift the orphan keys etc., but better not go there to start with. Anyhow, attempting to reinstall with the folder already present is no problem - any decent installer will cope with that better than it'll cope with registry issues....

Bets bet is try to get a complete install by running it again - if it won't allow that either reset to an earlier XP save point (Start - Help/Support option - 'Pick a Task' -> 'Undo changes to your computer with System Restore' is the XP Pro sequence)
or get on the phone to support... much better than emails when I tried them.
I think it may be true what you say since it is a demo?? and perhaps date sensitive and may not let him reinstall as the install program will think it is already installed.

What if he did a restore to a previous day as trader333 says and then deletes the directory?Looks like that would get the registry cleaned before deleting the folder with updata in it.