Ukraine invasion

JEFFREY SACHS:
In vote after vote at the United Nations, basically, it has been the Western countries that have been voting for sanctions and denunciations and other actions. Whereas most of the world, certainly most of the world counted by population, is on the sidelines.

Here are a few votes from this year.
including one from Tass!
The resolution was not adopted due to Russia's veto. Albania, Britain, France, Ghana, Ireland, Kenya, Mexico, Norway, the UAE, and the USA voted in favor of the resolution.

I guess it depends what "Western" countries means. For example since Ghana is on the west side of Africa, does that make it a Western country? The answer is of course, no. So it appears more than just "Western" countries disapprove of the war Russia started.

A lie so easily disproven like that makes the headline and rest of the article much less credible.

Forgive me for not taking your counter vid seriously.

Russel Brand :ROFLMAO:

Scraping the bottom of the barrel now Tim.
I thought you'd think that, c_v!
To be honest, I'd have agreed with you up until circa a year or so ago when I stated watching/listening to his take on the pandemic and vaccines. To my surprise, he knocks spots of most other journalists out there and completely knocks MSM into a cocked hat. Very insightful and intelligent analysis, IMO. With nigh on 6 million subscribers, it appears many others take a similar view.

Now, I know you're not in the business of considering any narrative that even dares to question the one you're wedded to, but, if you ever decide to take the blinkers off, then RB is as good a place as any to start, as he at least makes some effort to present both sides of an argument - just as he does in this video. As the old saying goes: don't judge a book by its cover.
Tim.

A lie so easily disproven like that makes the headline and rest of the article much less credible.
Utter bunkum, R_L!
". . . Russia was joined by Belarus, which has served as a launch pad for Russian invasion forces, Eritrea, North Korea and Syria in voting against the resolution. Thirty-five members, including China, abstained. . ."

As anyone and everyone who takes even a passing interest in international affairs knows and understands only too well (including you), 'abstention' translates as: 'we do not support this resolution but, for political reasons, we're not going to vote against it'. The Sachs headline is, therefore, entirely credible and very true.
Tim.

PS. Watch the Russel Brand vid' I posted, as he sums up very neatly what the rest of the world probably thinks.

Excellent article Histo: it should be required reading for one and all - especially those on the wrong side of the argument who are subscribed to this thread!
:p

Result: Western media don't like him anymore :)
1664917381224.png

As anyone and everyone who takes even a passing interest in international affairs knows and understands only too well (including you), 'abstention' translates as: 'we do not support this resolution but, for political reasons, we're not going to vote against it'. The Sachs headline is, therefore, entirely credible and very true.
Countries vote abstain for different reasons, not just the ones you favor. For example,

Utter bunkum, R_L!
". . . Russia was joined by Belarus, which has served as a launch pad for Russian invasion forces, Eritrea, North Korea and Syria in voting against the resolution. Thirty-five members, including China, abstained. . ."
I guess you are referring to this vote.
1664932231635.png

Now math can be complicated;)‡, but 141 is a supermajority with or without abstentions interpreted as "no." So the resolution passed, and the Sachs headline is still a lie.

PS. Watch the Russel Brand vid' I posted, as he sums up very neatly what the rest of the world probably thinks.
Speaking of things that are "still," Russell Brand's delivery reminds me of

One of Brand's main arguments are Joe Biden saying that he would "end" the Nord Stream 2 gas pipeline

This is the same Joe Biden that needs help dressing

the same Joe Biden that forgets he just shook someone's hand

the same Joe Biden that asks where a dead member of the U.S. House of Representatives is at a meeting

The other argument is about what Condoleezza Rice said in 2014. Unlike Joe Biden, she has a working brain, but is not a member of the party in power in the U.S. and hasn't worked for the U.S. government since 2009.

These aren't very strong arguments, but there are better ones:

‡ Yes, I admit to patronizing, but I'm sure you have a sense of humor somewhere.

Countries vote abstain for different reasons, not just the ones you favor. For example,
I guess you are referring to this vote.
R_L,
Slice 'n dice it every which way, the facts speak for themselves. Namely, that of the 193 members, 53 either voted against the resolution, abstained or didn't vote. They all had their reasons, as did the 141 who voted in favour of the resolution. Now, prepare to have your mind blown and consider this: I put it to you that some (not all) of those who supported the resolution did so not because they think Russia's SMO is unwarranted, but because they don't want to pi$$ off the U.S. and get on the wrong side of key allies in the west. In short, the U.N. resolution is just grubby politics as usual and, to a greater or lesser extent, meaningless.
Now math can be complicated;)‡, but 141 is a supermajority with or without abstentions interpreted as "no." So the resolution passed, and the Sachs headline is still a lie.
As indicated above, the resolution passed, but the reasons for it have little or nothing to do with the 'Putin & Russia bad - Zelensky & Ukraine good' mantra that the gullible and naive like to think it is. The Sachs headline remains entirely credible and very true.
Speaking of things that are "still," Russell Brand's delivery reminds me of
And there's me thinking you'd enjoy the comedic aspect of his delivery. Of well, I can but try!
One of Brand's main arguments are Joe Biden saying that he would "end" the Nord Stream 2 gas pipeline
This is the same Joe Biden that needs help dressing
the same Joe Biden that forgets he just shook someone's hand
the same Joe Biden that asks where a dead member of the U.S. House of Representatives is at a meeting
Well, at least we appear to agree on one thing: Biden isn't fit for office. Yes, he's a bumbling idiot, but his comments on Nord Stream were clear and unambiguous. It's obvious to one and all that the U.S. is behind the sabotage.
The other argument is about what Condoleezza Rice said in 2014. Unlike Joe Biden, she has a working brain, but is not a member of the party in power in the U.S. and hasn't worked for the U.S. government since 2009.
The point RB is making is that U.S. foreign policy (vis-à-vis Russia supplying energy to the west) goes back a long way. It's not just some recent knee jerk reaction to Russia's SMO in Ukraine. There's important historical context - as expounded in depth by Mearsheimer, Sachs and Black et al. Ukrainian sovereignty and democracy is a smokescreen; the war isn't about that. It's about control and $$$$. The U.S. will do anything and everything in its power to maintain its hegemony and to ensure that the west is dependant upon it (the U.S.) for her energy needs. The U.S. administration is even quite open and transparent about it: its sheer hubris is quite breathtaking. . .

1664957245897.png

The only question is: did the "opportunity" arise fortuitously, or was it manufactured? Anyone who thinks the former is being spectacularly naive. The notion that Putin sabotaged his own pipeline with the net result that the west is then dependant upon the U.S. for her energy needs is beyond absurd.
These aren't very strong arguments, but there are better ones:
Maybe not in your eyes, but you're one of those who favour weaponry over diplomacy and appear quite prepared to see this senseless conflict escalate into nuclear war. The Insider article says nothing new and I've debunked all of those pathetically weak arguments already - so forgive me if I don't repeat them again here.
‡ Yes, I admit to patronizing, but I'm sure you have a sense of humor somewhere.
Apologies R_L, I'm afraid my sense of humour has been crushed by the weight of dead Ukrainian and Russian soldiers who have died needlessly in a war that your country should not have started in 2014 and my country (U.K.) should not be involved in given that it's none of our fcuking business!
Tim.

Last edited:

Update on Russian operations in Ukraine for October 5, 2022
  • Latest US aid package falls far short of replacing steep Ukrainian losses amid continued offensives.
  • Ukraine’s offensive has limited capabilities, will not achieve “victory” over Russian forces in territory deemed “Ukrainian” by Kiev.
  • Ukrainian offensive is an “all-or-nothing” proposition, hoping to achieve psychological and political gains toward ending the conflict in ways Ukrainian military force cannot.
  • Western analysts celebrate the psychological impact the offensive is having on pro-Russian media, pundits, and even prominent members of Russian society.
  • In reality, Ukraine will be left overextended and vulnerable just as Russia’s 300,000-strong mobilisation begins shaping the battlefield.

"The U.S. remains by far the biggest supplier of military aid to Ukraine, having donated more than all other Western countries combined. And based on how much the war dominates discussion on the news and social media, you’d assume that it was foremost among Americans’ concerns. . ."

Wrong! . . . U.S. Public Opinion on the War in Ukraine
And when the penny drops that inflation is going through the roof and that their standard of living of crashing due in part to the $billions the Biden administration is haemorrhaging on Ukraine, then they might start to take notice. Moreover, when they learn that they are responsible for destroying pipelines delivering fuel to Europe - they might even start to get an incy wincy bit tetchy. We can only hope!

Last edited:
Brian logic:
If Ukraine withdraws, Russia is winning
If Russia withdraws, Russia is winning
:unsure:
CV,
That's your interpretation but, needless to say, it's wrong. The difference lies between being beaten back, losing men and equipment along the way, and a tactical withdrawal to avoid losing men and equipment along the way. The net result in terms of lost ground is the same but, with the former, you've lost ground and men plus equipment, whereas, with the latter your personnel and kit remain in tact to fight on another front or to defend another position. Big difference. Massive.

Scott Ritter touches on something similar in this video and explains how Ukraine have overextended themselves and are much more vulnerable now than they were prior to the recent offensives. Enjoy (well, not you CV obviously!) . . .

Last edited:
CV,
That's your interpretation but, needless to say, it's wrong. The difference lies between being beaten back, losing men and equipment along the way, and a tactical withdrawal to avoid losing men and equipment along the way. The net result in terms of lost ground is the same but, with the former, you've lost ground and men plus equipment, whereas, with the latter your personnel and kit remain in tact to fight on another front or to defend another position. Big difference. Massive.

Scott Ritter touches on something similar in this video and explains how Ukraine have overextended themselves and are much more vulnerable now than they were prior to the recent offensives. Enjoy (well, not you CV obviously!) . . .

I don't know why you keep telling everyone that they are wrong. It's patently obvious that you were on the wrong side from the very start. All that has happened since is..................heels dug in...........doubling down on the insanity.

Ukraine supported by pretty much every other country in the world decided what the outcome would be months ago. Now we are seeing that come to fruition.

Brian can parrot his BS any way he likes, but it doesn't mean he has a reading on the situation. In fact, he's a complete embarrassment and so are all those who blindly follow his every word.

Anyway, crack on! In the real world, we all know who's winning. 🇺🇦 :ROFLMAO:

Last edited: