Ukraine invasion

You'd have to have to be standing on your head with your eyes closed to not be able to follow this logic.;)
R_L,
Unlike c_v, it appears you've bothered to watch Brian's video. For that I'll give you 10/10 - well done!

However, that this is your only - and by default best - piece of 'constructive' criticism of a video over half an hour in length, shows just how big a hole those of you on the wrong side of the argument are in. For that I'll give you 1/10 - must try harder!

The bottom line is that the western narrative is falling apart on a massive scale. The sanctions that were supposed to crater the Russian economy are doing no such thing. On the contrary, they're sinking the west's instead. European leaders have been caught out by that, are unprepared and haven't a clue what to do. Evidence the recent carnage to the EUR and GBP and the shenanigans of Kwarteng and Truss this week. Disaster! Consequently, Ukraine is fast becoming a project the west can't afford to indulge in as it's too preoccupied desperately trying to keep its own ship afloat. The fall out from the US-Nato sabotage of Nordstram will cause massive divisions between the US and Europe - especially Germany, obviously. No one with an ounce of common sense believes that Russia would blow up its own pipeline delivering fuel from which it derives $billions in income when, if it wants to stop delivering said fuel, merely has to flick a switch or turn off the taps. It really is a no-brainer! Meanwhile, Putin is in the process of tripling the size of his army and, his economy - unlike ours - remains strong. It's pretty much one way traffic at the moment and it's very much downhill for the west. As for Zelensky, I suspect he'll be left hung out to dry.
Tim.

However, that this is your only - and by default best - piece of 'constructive' criticism of a video over half an hour in length, shows just how big a hole those of you on the wrong side of the argument are in. For that I'll give you 1/10 - must try harder!
What should be obvious to anyone is, I wasn't trying to review the whole video. So your score for the part of the video other than the Brian's spin on Lyman doesn't count.:p

No one with an ounce of common sense believes that Russia would blow up its own pipeline delivering fuel from which it derives $billions in income
I don't know what your native language is, but English has a concept of verb tenses (some languages do this with context only). So, with the correct verb tense, your statement would have "from which it derived $billions" since Nordsteam 1 was shut down before the sabotage, and Nordstream 2 was never turned on.

Since it seems the rest of Europe was not trying to get them turned on before the sabotage, one might want to rethink who benefits from destroying these unused pipelines. For the benefit of "spectacularly naive simpletons," the one who benefits most from the sabotage is ...

drum_roll.gif

What should be obvious to anyone is, I wasn't trying to review the whole video. So your score for the part of the video other than the Brian's spin on Lyman doesn't count.:p

I don't know what your native language is, but English has a concept of verb tenses (some languages do this with context only). So, with the correct verb tense, your statement would have "from which it derived $billions" since Nordsteam 1 was shut down before the sabotage, and Nordstream 2 was never turned on.

Since it seems the rest of Europe was not trying to get them turned on before the sabotage, one might want to rethink who benefits from destroying these unused pipelines. For the benefit of "spectacularly naive simpletons," the one who benefits most from the sabotage is ...

View attachment 322217

On the same topic, Brainless Brian Prof William Spaniel uses his expertise in compiling a who done it list, where 3 of the 7 suspects are Russian groups.

Last edited:

What's all this nonsense?

The pipelines are now filling with seawater. They will never see gas flowing in them ever again.

:rolleyes:

R_L,
What is obvious to anyone (no 'should' about it) is that there was nothing of any substance you could criticise and were desperate to find something - anything - to pull Brian up on. The 1/10 score remains. Actually, I'll be generous and up it to 3/10 on the grounds that at least you commented on the content and didn't resort to shooting the messenger!
:p
I don't know what your native language is, but English has a concept of verb tenses (some languages do this with context only).
You're being disingenuous as you know perfectly well what my native language is.
So, with the correct verb tense, your statement would have "from which it derived $billions" since Nordsteam 1 was shut down before the sabotage, and Nordstream 2 was never turned on.
True. And this is another reason why Russia aren't responsible for its destruction. The only people (state actors) who benefit are those that don't want gas flowing anytime, ever. Obviously that doesn't apply to Russia.
Quoting yourself when you're misquoting someone else is not a good look, R_L. I let it go on the other thread because I put it down to you injecting humour into an otherwise heavy topic. Kindly drop the simpleton - as I've never described you as such.

Lastly, let's look at the link you posted to the 5 reasons why Russia might be responsible for the sabotage . . .
"First, Putin has the motivation. Facing potential defeat in Ukraine, Putin is desperate to reverse the momentum on the battlefield by resorting to dramatic escalation. . ."
Putin has no motivation as he's achieving his objectives and self evidently isn't facing defeat in Ukraine. This is blatant misinformation.
"Second, damaging or destroying critical infrastructure is consistent with Russia’s warfighting concept called Strategic Operation to Defeat Critical Infrastructure of the Adversary (SOPKVOP, in Russian). . ."
Too funny! Destroying critical infrastructure of your enemy is one thing, destroying your own makes absolutely no sense at all. No one does that. Ooops, I forgot, Ukraine likes to destroy its own bridges, but they're very much the exception that proves the rule!
Third, Russian military strategists have pondered a scenario in which Russia would target their adversaries' civilian infrastructure during a conflict. Defeating a "small number of key interconnected targets" that are vital to the functioning of the state would cause the "entire system to collapse," they hypothesized."
The Russian military strategist appears to be Lt. Gen. Kellogg of the U.S.. There's no evidence that I can see to support his assertions. IMO, he should stick to making breakfast cereals as he's clearly talking nonsense about Russia!
"Fourth, Russia is one of very few countries that has the exact capability needed to sever the Nord Stream pipelines carrying Russian gas to Europe and to do it covertly. . . "
This is almost certainly true and it would be an important point if Russia was the only state actor with the capability to carry out the attack. But it isn't - so that blows this reason clean out of the water. There are others who have both the means and the motivation (see Histo's post above with the clip of Biden).
"Fifth, Putin has no use for Nord Stream in the short term, as neither pipeline 1 or 2 are revenue producing. . ."
So the distorted logic of whoever wrote this nonsense goes like this: 'Russia spends $billions building a pipeline just so they can blow it up before it becomes operational'. Who in their right mind believes they would do that? It's crazy.

These aren't five reasons for Russia to destroy their own pipeline, they're five pathetic attempts to deflect the spotlight away from the obvious guilty party: the U.S. itself.
Tim.

Last edited:
R_L,
What is obvious to anyone (no 'should' about it) is that there was nothing of any substance you could criticise and were desperate to find something - anything - to pull Brian up on. The 1/10 score remains. Actually, I'll be generous and up it to 3/10 on the grounds that at least you commented on the content and didn't resort to shooting the messenger!
:p

You're being disingenuous as you know perfectly well what my native language is.

True. And this is another reason why Russia aren't responsible for its destruction. The only people (state actors) who benefit are those that don't want gas flowing anytime, ever. Obviously that doesn't apply to Russia.

Quoting yourself when you're misquoting someone else is not a good look, R_L. I let it go on the other thread because I put it down to you injecting humour into an otherwise heavy topic. Kindly drop the simpleton - as I've never described you as such.

Lastly, let's look at the link you posted to the 5 reasons why Russia might be responsible for the sabotage . . .
"First, Putin has the motivation. Facing potential defeat in Ukraine, Putin is desperate to reverse the momentum on the battlefield by resorting to dramatic escalation. . ."
Putin has no motivation as he's achieving his objectives and self evidently isn't facing defeat in Ukraine. This is blatant misinformation.
"Second, damaging or destroying critical infrastructure is consistent with Russia’s warfighting concept called Strategic Operation to Defeat Critical Infrastructure of the Adversary (SOPKVOP, in Russian). . ."
Too funny! Destroying critical infrastructure of your enemy is one thing, destroying your own makes absolutely no sense at all. No one does that. Ooops, I forgot, Ukraine likes to destroy its own bridges, but they're very much the exception that proves the rule!
Third, Russian military strategists have pondered a scenario in which Russia would target their adversaries' civilian infrastructure during a conflict. Defeating a "small number of key interconnected targets" that are vital to the functioning of the state would cause the "entire system to collapse," they hypothesized."
The Russian military strategist appears to be Lt. Gen. Kellogg of the U.S.. There's no evidence that I can see to support his assertions. IMO, he should stick to making breakfast cereals as he's clearly talking nonsense about Russia!
"Fourth, Russia is one of very few countries that has the exact capability needed to sever the Nord Stream pipelines carrying Russian gas to Europe and to do it covertly. . . "
This is almost certainly true and it would be an important point if Russia was the only state actor with the capability to carry out the attack. But it isn't - so that blows this reason clean out of the water. There are others who have both the means and the motivation (see Histo's post above with the clip of Biden).
"Fifth, Putin has no use for Nord Stream in the short term, as neither pipeline 1 or 2 are revenue producing. . ."
So the distorted logic of whoever wrote this nonsense goes like this: 'Russia spends $billions building a pipeline just so they can blow it up before it becomes operational'. Who in their right mind believes they would do that? It's crazy.

These aren't five reasons for Russia to destroy their own pipeline, they're five pathetic attempts to deflect the spotlight away from the obvious guilty party: the U.S. itself.
Tim.
Desperate Putler will do anything to galvanise support inside Russia to shore up his failing state. So he very much is on the hook for it. Russia false flag operation deffo No 1 on the list.

1664804219670.png

So now you reveal your native language actually is English, and you were being disingenuous with your "derives" when you knew it was actually "derived.":p

That one-letter difference changes things, and the video posted by @counter_violent (great, balanced video on the topic -- highly recommended) has the reason why Putin likely ordered the sabotage.
Now, initiating a coup does not look as attractive. It may even cause moderates to calculate that a coup is no longer worthwhile. That's a huge win for Putin and justifies the cost.

That one-letter difference changes things, and the video posted by @counter_violent (great, balanced video on the topic -- highly recommended) has the reason why Putin likely ordered the sabotage.
R_L,
The one letter difference changes precisely nothing. Dear me, is your whole argument really so weak that you're pinning all your hopes on one letter of one word in one sentence? It certainly looks that way to me. Too funny. Besides which, you're missing the point of my post (which, incidentally, is the reason I used 'derives' and not 'derived'). Namely, that:
A) There are still outstanding gas payments from deliveries already made to European customers which are yet to be settled. So, that's a current, ongoing present tense situation, and . . .
B) Obviously Russia hopes and wants to sell it's gas to Europe at any point going forward, which could be as early as today (Putin stated this in his speech last week). So, my use of the present tense is entirely correct and justified: there's nothing disingenuous about it at all.
Tim.

Update on Russian military operations in Ukraine for October 3, 2022
  • Ukrainian offensives are making headlines and being leveraged politically and psychologically. In reality, Ukraine is paying a price for these offensives it cannot recover from.
  • Meanwhile Russia is mobilising 300,000 men and equipment to move against Ukrainian forces just as they fully over-extend themselves and as Western inventories to re-supply Ukraine dry up.

Added: :)

Last edited: