Fundamental Analysis UK Housing Boom – Is the Party Over?

Recently the IMF said that the UK's property was overvalued and this could result in a spectacular slump. House prices in the US have slowed down considerably since 2005.

The UK avoided the Recession in 2001 when many countries went into deep recession. Post 9/11 the UK interest rates were at the lowest for many decades, this resulted in a boom in the UK housing market as the cost of mortgages was at its lowest. The low cost of borrowing also saw a boom in the buy to let market with many investors having a big portfolio of properties.

Not only was the UK government on a spending spree but also the UK consumer, due to the easy availability of credit. Currently the UK personal debt level has exceeded more than £1 trillion. It is expected that we could see a significant rise in insolvencies during 2008. The "time bomb" is ticking and could explode at any time; it could be triggered by any of the shocks to the economy. The Northern Rock fiasco was just the first such trigger, which resulted in savers withdrawing over £14 billion from the ailing Rock - no doubt the next 12 months we will witness more such triggers, which will dent overall consumer confidence. This could eventually lead to a big fall in the house prices.

Many "experts" feel that 2008 could see further rises in house prices, and some optimistic forecast has been put at over a 10% increase. Housing demand is influenced by the "feel good factor" resulting into the expectation that the house prices will continue to rise. Some of the reasons for a boom in house prices are;
  • Cheap mortgage rates post 9/11
  • Availability of easy credit
  • Speculation of ongoing price increases
  • Buy to let investors having large portfolio of properties
  • Amateur investors now joining the buy to let bandwagon

The worrying part is when amateur investors join the party; it's likely that we may have seen the peak! One can see similarities with the technology stock boom of 2000. Many investors bought at the peak and after several years they have yet to recoup their losses.

The past year has seen many amateur investors venture into the buy to let market for the first time. This has meant that they have had to buy at the peak, with the mortgage rates almost doubling in the past 5 years.

Currently prices are being supported by the expectations that they will continue to rise, and when this increase fails to materialise the bubble could burst. The house price inflation has been at its fastest this decade as can be seen from the following graph; and since 1995 we have not seen a dip in prices, it has just gone up in one straight line!

Image1-127.jpg

In addition, there are other serious issues with the economy which could trigger a sharp correction, not only in house prices but also the stock market. Some of the disturbing triggers will be;</span />
  • Lenders offering loans of up to 5 times multiples to salary, thus borrowers are overstretching themselves.</span />
  • Increases in mortgage rates have yet to have an impact and often this takes time to react. The mortgage rates have nearly doubled since 2002.</span />
  • Nearly 1 million Britons now own a second home, often as a buy to let investment. When the downturn in economy comes, panic is likely to set in amongst the buy to let investors, which would result in the market being flooded with house for sale.
  • The US sub-prime mortgage crisis also poses more risks for the UK's banking system. In the US the crisis has lead to plunging property prices, creating a loss of consumer confidence with billions of dollars in loss.
  • UK Job prospects are worsening, with many economist predicting unemployment to rise to 1.8 million+. The banking & financial sector has been a big driver for employment growth. Many firms in the housing market; this could result into deteriorating earnings and leading to staff cutbacks.
  • Consumer spending could see a slow down when faced with deteriorating economic and job conditions. Once again this would affect consumer spending, thus lower earnings.
  • Inflationary pressures are driven by high commodity prices, as demand from emerging economies like India and China continue to increase. This not only has an impact on the monetary policies like the interest rates but will have significant impact on earnings, which could lead to a big fall in stock market.

Buy-to-let bubble:
Is the party over? So far the landlords have had it easy, the cheap mortgage rates ensured that the rent covered the mortgage repayments and they benefited from the significant capital appreciation of their portfolio. It surely has been the best investment strategy for the past decade, as many investors have made fortunes and many have "retired" young.

Currently it is estimated that there are over a million buy to let mortgages, and landlords are now feeling the pinch. Past 2 years has seen significant rise in mortgage repayments and we are now seeing signs of price increase slowing down. The rents have not kept pace with outgoings, thus landlord profits have gone down. In some cases landlords are losing on their portfolio. Some areas in the UK have seen an oversupply of buy to let properties resulting into falling yields.

Although year on year prices rose by nearly 5% to December 2007, but the house prices fell for a second consecutive month in December according to Nationwide building society. New mortgages on a buy to let are also slowing, with many lenders now seeking up to 30% deposit and also a requirement that the rent on the property equates to 125% of monthly mortgage payment.

Unless the investor has a larger deposit the rental yield may be insufficient to cover the cost of the mortgage and with no expectations of a capital growth, you are likely to see significant drop in the buy-to-let mortgages. This could even result in many existing landlords starting to liquidate their portfolios. The only incentive to retain portfolios is the expectation of further capital gains. If this expectation evaporates and with falling yield, then there would be no point in buy to let investments.

Newer entrants to the buy to let market could soon face going into negative equity as soon as we start seeing declines in the prices. Furthermore, should the banks suffer to the extent of the housing bust, the fallout would be astronomical!

Changes to the Capital Gains could also contribute to the housing crash. The tax on property gains has been cut from 40% to 18% effective from 1st April 2008. So those investors who are sitting on fat profits would be tempted to lock in gains and also benefit from the lower tax.

Housing Repossessions
2007 has seen a significant rise in home repossessions, and it is expected that this figure will increase considerably in 2008. Rising property repossessions normally spell bad news for the property market creating a supply of houses, which are normally sold below market prices and this can dent confidence.

The Council of Mortgage Lenders (CML) has warned that the number of home repossessions is set to soar to levels not seen since the housing crash of the 1990s. It is also expected that there will be an increase in mortgage repayment arrears in the coming year.

Having said that, the current situation is very different from the 1990s. Firstly in the 90s interest rates were very high and peaked at 16%. We are probably unlikely to see huge scale cases of negative equity like we had in the 90s, due to the huge equity homeowners are sitting on at the moment.

What to do - Action Points?
  • If you are a homeowner and if you are contemplating selling your home, then the time to act is now,given that sharp falls may just be round the corner unless the government can delay the inevitable by aggressive reduction of interest rates.
  • Cash is king - with so much uncertainty, undoubtedly cash is king. Fixed interest and government bonds are increasingly becoming popular.
  • Stock market investment - Although we have seen healthy gains in the markets worldwide, longer term it offers good opportunity. Many analysts are calling for sharp falls in the markets and this should provide a good opportunity of bargain hunting. Emerging markets should also offer a good opportunity in the event of a market correction.

Conclusion
Just as in year 2000, when we saw the NASDAQ stock market boom, we are now seeing some similarities - irrational exuberance in the housing market.

During the NASDAQ boom, we saw many amateur investors jump into the market at the peak, we are now experiencing a similar situation. Many amateur investors are jumping into the buy to let market.

As with all market activity, prices do not go up in one straight line and you will always have price retracement, the question is how big the retracement will be? There is no doubt that a significant house price correction is on the cards, the only question remains is when? It is a case of any one of the triggers to set in - as soon as the first domino falls, panic will set in resulting into significant declines in house prices.

Last edited by a moderator:
The only thing worse than an economist is a BBC business correspondent, especially if he has an annoying speech idiosyncracy. Evan Davis is pretty good, though.

Grant.

Agree with that. Evan has done very well on R4 Today prog IMHO.

Have you noticed that now NuLab appears to be on the run, BBC is more bold in its criticism ? Eg it's just started a politico-satirical series on R4 late night - must listen to see if any good. Last time I remember them doing that was in Major's dying days.

We have a period of great pain coming up, but the reasons for that are not that bankers earn more than other people. The reason is that our current Government has sold the farm. Gordon Brown sold all our gold at a historical low; he stole money from our pensions (and continues to steal more year on year); he borrowed excessively in a boom; fudged unemployment figures by creating quango jobs, despite the knowledge that they would have to be paid for during a downturn; allowed house prices to rise (by excluding them from the inflation figure the BoE are allowed to use), knowing that borrowing against a house would fuel growth, despite it creating a dangerous hole when prices fall. They are just some of his more egregious errors, hopefully the population has woken up to Gordon's grand deception, but I'm not sure everyone has."

The UK Housing Boom party is over; is the above fair comment ?

this sums it up, we had 10 years of very good growth with a good few years above trend. Gordon Brown thought he could beat the cycles that govern the world. Over the next five years we are going to pay for all his mistakes, and so will he when he calls an election in a couple of years.

"Satire" for the BBC is little more than taking the p1ss - hardly clever/satirical. I remember when 'Private Eye' was satirical, now it's just irrelevant. Just further examples of dumbing down?

Grant.

"Satire" for the BBC is little more than taking the p1ss - hardly clever/satirical. I remember when 'Private Eye' was satirical, now it's just irrelevant. Just further examples of dumbing down?

Grant.

We need the modern equivalent of David Frost / TWTWTW - unlikely to get it with a govt that can lock you up for 42 days without charge and would have preferred 90. I think Victorians Gilbert & Sullivan did better against the establishment relative to what we get today.

I think you're right re G&S. But it isn't the "new" that's bad; Ben Elton, the antithesis of the BBC at one time is so extreme middle-of-road, he's embarrassing. I remember when he was good. I think the only ones who are good today are Bird and Fortune (they're old school aren't they), and Stephen Fry.

One of the funniest things I ever heard was from an old radio programme featuring Jonothan Miller (Beyond the Fringe) doing an impression of Bertrand Russell discussing homosexual desire in Plato's Dialogues. Absolutely brilliant.

Grant.

One of the funniest things I ever heard was from an old radio programme featuring Jonothan Miller (Beyond the Fringe) doing an impression of Bertrand Russell discussing homosexual desire in Plato's Dialogues. Absolutely brilliant.

Grant.

Ah! Beyond the Fringe. Now that's what I call comedy.

Just for the records guys, I consider my self an economist having obtained a degree in the subject matter.

The problem with economics is that it is not a science but a normative disclipline and so everyone can have a view.

You can provide evidence of all sorts with damn statistics to back up your point of view.

However, ultimately it is based on your opinion and evaluation of all the information.

I have been hurling abuse at absolute rubbish I hear on TV news, debates and Bloomberg when what I hear is totally at 180 degrees to my perception and experience out in the market place.

My gripe is that action wasn't taken before by politicians - not economists, to cool the economy down because most if not all people like to revel in their misadventures.

Just for the records guys, I consider my self an economist having obtained a degree in the subject matter.

The problem with economics is that it is not a science but a normative disclipline and so everyone can have a view.

You can provide evidence of all sorts with damn statistics to back up your point of view.

However, ultimately it is based on your opinion and evaluation of all the information.

I have been hurling abuse at absolute rubbish I hear on TV news, debates and Bloomberg when what I hear is totally at 180 degrees to my perception and experience out in the market place.

My gripe is that action wasn't taken before by politicians - not economists, to cool the economy down because most if not all people like to revel in their misadventures.

Absolutely agree on the irresponsibility of politicians who knew this was happening and could have stopped it. Similarly the bankers, but their remit is to make money .... and sod the rest.

Thinking more closely about the politicians who in the end are beholden to the elctorate as a whole and not just the minority with some brain cells: do we not get the politicians we (as a whole) deserve? And then, because we are collectively stupid, we don't like the outcome.

Talking of economists, who was it who wanted a one-armed economist as his adviser? Apparently the usual ones were always saying things like: "on the one hand do this, on the other do that" :)

its because we are all humans... this is what makes the world so exciting... win lose or draw... nobody has a clue what will happen next... not even those with a degree lol...

personally I find this whole situation very entertaining.. and we are but a year in really.. plenty of big headlines to laugh at, and whingers to throw stuff at the telly... and silly government hacks to come up with ludicrous speaches.... lovely...

Their are now more than one million homes are for sale in England and Wales, for the first time since records began.
Rightmove estimates there are now about 15 properties for sale for every 1 buyer.
Where have all the buyers gone, maybe their all back sleeping on the streets where they must have been when their was a shortage of houses a year ago.

Where have all the buyers gone, maybe their all back sleeping on the streets where they must have been when their was a shortage of houses a year ago.

It may be just as relevant to ask where will all those one million people currently selling go to if they do manage to sell their property ?

Paul

It may be just as relevant to ask where will all those one million people currently selling go to if they do manage to sell their property ?

Paul

Exactly - the figures are a tad misleading - because most of those sellers will be looking to buy as soon as they get an offer. However - the BTL brigade who are dumping properties on the market will not turn into buyers.

What we have is a stalemate. Sellers in denial about how much their houses are worth - and buyers waiting for the sellers to come out of denial.

Going back to normbeefs comment - yep we are in interesting and historic times at the moment, just how far and how bad will things get....? oh if I just had a time machine..!!

Their are now more than one million homes are for sale in England and Wales, for the first time since records began.
Rightmove estimates there are now about 15 properties for sale for every 1 buyer.

Round my way, the buyers are waiting for the sellers to crack & vice-versa. Will be interesting to see who blinks first.

I also suspect Alistair's eyes must be watering at the loss of revenue from stamp duty & VAT. Heard a projected figuer of £6-7billion for this year - don't know how realistic that is. Perhaps he's getting it back on fuel? I wonder when the Land Registry will start downsizing?

yes I know most of these people must be selling to move house but what we dont know is how many are empty properties,how many are selling to move to a smaller house,how many are behind on their mortgage payments, how many are selling the house for less than the mortgage. Their are lots of people waiting to buy but are they homeless no, also are any of them willing to pay todays prices, not many. Even the stupid ones who are willing to pay todays prices are out of luck as the banks won't give them four or five times their wages as a mortgage, if you can't put up a sizeable deposit.

yes I know most of these people must be selling to move house but what we dont know is how many are empty properties,how many are selling to move to a smaller house,how many are behind on their mortgage payments, how many are selling the house for less than the mortgage. Their are lots of people waiting to buy but are they homeless no, also are any of them willing to pay todays prices, not many. Even the stupid ones who are willing to pay todays prices are out of luck as the banks won't give them four or five times their wages as a mortgage, if you can't put up a sizeable deposit.

Perhaps for me the pertinant point in all this is the apparent Change in sentiment, and the whether or not or will we ever reach a "tipping point" in the markets... I have posted before about Building Land dynamics and that I am seeing many new Land opportunities than I have seen in many years...

Just today there is a new building plot (just a single) that is being sold off by a local builder as part of a larger plot... this practice would have been ludicrous just a year ago...(in my area) but of course does not in itself proove the issue...

A major part of my analysis work as a trader / investor is in seeking and understanding major trend reversals (long term ones) and in my opinion we still have some way to go before the confirmation of a major reversal...

but we are certainly on the way... (n)

Rightmove estimates there are now about 15 properties for sale for every 1 buyer..

Sh**T this is bad!
The "Greatest Chancellor" of UK created this! - this means that the crap tories will get in! -

well who cares! I am enjoying receiving my income from puts and shorts

well done Gordon! - You are TRULLY Great! - Keep up the good work!
you made me rich! I did not benefit from the boom, but I am benefit from the party ending!

If Las Vegas is any indication the majority of sellers can hang on for a year or so before they reset their expectations downward. Think of it as a very slow trade with little price movement showing, an ego investment of massive proportion in the result, and plenty of self-denial.

If Las Vegas is any indication the majority of sellers can hang on for a year or so before they reset their expectations downward. Think of it as a very slow trade with little price movement showing, an ego investment of massive proportion in the result, and plenty of self-denial.

Yep... its just a question of when the denial ends and the JOLT of reality sets in...:-0

I reckon the UK borrowed and shopped its way out of the last serious downturn.. and by my calculations that makes this one bigger and longer...

The need of our political masters to stay in power and be popular is reliant on a good economy (which I think causes worse than necessary recessions, as the rule makers turn a blind eye to risk taking and overblown markets because it makes people happy)

Blair was a canny man... he walked away at the top of the curve.. and dumped Brown in the do do... :LOL: Cheers for that "mate"... :LOL: