Training Courses

gapowell

Hi,
Looking for feedback from people who have gone on courses as to if they are worth it?

I see lots advertised for serveral thousand pounds, and cant help but think if these methods are so full proof why arent the trainers spending all there time trading as opposed to teaching?

Never been on a course but i personally reckon that apart from a few which are probably good then you'd be better of sticking £1000 in a SB account and trade the minmum amount for a few weeks/months.

Few links in my signature that may help, or may not.

gapowell,
I agree with foredog.
but if you must take a course Malcom Pryor
who wrote the spreadbetting handbook runs day courses.
I don't know if they are any good, but I remember his prices were
very competitive compared to others (in the hundreds not thousands of £)
remember, in the end its your own time and effort, trials and errors that make you a trader.
A course can't do that for you

I am involved in Online Trading Academy"s FX extended learning track from March of 2009.They ARE costly no question about it.But me in March and me now when it comes to trading....it is really huge big time difference.Thanx to Steve and Sam i have made a trading plan and set of rules based on supply and demand.Without them i would probably make it but path would be much,much more painful and harder.
But the thing is that after watching Sam on FXStreet webinar i was like-that is it,that is way i wanna trade for as long as i trade.So even before paying for course i knew that i like that stuff which i will learn about.
So what to say...If you are about to take a course...learn about strategy which they are presenting there,see do you like it,does it make sense or is more mumbo-jumbo BS.Use common sense and logic do not let them to sell you BS.
Also i would stay away from 7 day courses,3 day seminars and so on..Most likely what you will hear there is stuff which can be found in most books.
If you are brand new to trading learn basics,see on demo what works and what does not work and then when you have an basic idea about markets you could take some course.
Regarding whole trading education industry...IMO we can not generalize it by saying that all instructors are selling c-r-a-p.There are bright examples and i am witness of such example.
Hope this helps buddy...
Cheers,
VTK

attending course can get you started how to trade, but being sucessful.. not necessary. it depends on individual

attending course can get you started how to trade, but being sucessful.. not necessary. it depends on individual

everyonerich, you never fail to get my nod of agreement. What is nice about a good start, is that it assures a good end. You start at the right foot, by taking a course on trading, and off you go, keep your pace using your knowledge and wisdom, and voila, who knows what could you become.

I think there are definitely some very good training courses around, but watch out for the charlatans - Few things are more profitable than preying on other people's greed.

Of the legitimate course offerings out there, it seems to me that they broadly fall onto one side of a spectrum: On the extreme left, a course will essentially be a trading overview showing all the different tech analysis & money management possibilities you could use, through to the extreme right, where you are taught a specific trading system which demonstrably works, and you are expected to copy it and make some money using your own capital.

I was unprofitable for several years and was getting a pretty irritated with myself, so I begrudgingly put myself on an options trading "course", and hey presto, I was suddenly trading profitably using a trading system developed by someone else. And standing on someone else's shoulders feels great - I should have done it much earlier. I would have been wiped out last September if I was still muddling about and trying out my own systems ...

everyonerich, you never fail to get my nod of agreement. What is nice about a good start, is that it assures a good end. You start at the right foot, by taking a course on trading, and off you go, keep your pace using your knowledge and wisdom, and voila, who knows what could you become.
Seconded. OTA never tells you how much money you can make, they focus on Trading and the importance of capital protection. The tuition is in small groups and if enrolled the XLT program is a great networking trade forum. Granted it is expensive but well worth it. The instructors are all active traders and can be found at all the expos if you need any more advice. Many of those who graduated from their programs can be found at the expos as well, checking out the nonsense put forward by other muppet companies (not all). OTA rocks.:cool::cool:

I agree with abottoml on this one - there are a lot of great companies out there, though a few bogus ones as well. How is your trading system working out for you abootoml?