BBC iplayer, Who Wants to be a Millionaire Trader?

Agree, total Hokum. One of my (hippy) friends showed me it in 2008 - I couldn't sit through it all.

While I'm all for the power of self-belief and positive thinking to keep motivation levels high, which ensures we seek and make the most of opportunities, the idea that we deserve something because we really want it and positively project ourselves towards it is delusional and, somewhat, arrogant.

Keep looking for the MAGIC BULLET in trading, it does exist. Or contact me and I will book you a place at one of my SENIMARS and for the knock down price of £777 only £7777 I will share my secret with you one time only. PM Me for details

Keep looking for the MAGIC BULLET in trading, it does exist. Or contact me and I will book you a place at one of my SENIMARS and for the knock down price of £777 only £7777 I will share my secret with you one time only. PM Me for details

You might find that a lot of clients from south east asia who like a punt would find a price of £888 more attractive. I have a lot of proprierty reseach regarding the use of lucky numbers and their role in pricing :LOL:

I watched the program on iPlayer last night. It was quite hilarious really, the people who got up off their arses and did something (even if it was only selling crappy seminars) made money. The idle feckers who believed paying someone else to find an easy solution, ended up with hefty credit card bills, deeper in debt, and chanting into a mirror for 10 minutes a day.

The idle feckers who believed paying someone else to find an easy solution, ended up with hefty credit card bills, deeper in debt, and chanting into a mirror for 10 minutes a day.

But they know the 'Secret' :cheesy::cheesy:

But they know the 'Secret' :cheesy::cheesy:

Some of the people on that program really had lost touch with reality. The woman who spent over 50K of an inheretance, on seminars, then ran up significant credit card debt to the extent that she was almost forced into personal bankrupcy was a classic example.

She sat back and did nothing during a decade in which the UK experienced a property boom. There are documented cases where people with extremely low incomes where obtaining milions in funding via buy to let mortgages. A classic example of just how crazy and lax the system had become was the case of a cleaner in McDonalds earning less than 16K a year who bought several docklands riverside development properties. Perhaps not the best example as he inevitably ended up bankrupt, but at least he tried !

Now the property boom is over, and credit is pracically non existant, and she's on the point of bankrupcy, she's reading books on property development ! She had 50K+ that she was happy to blow, but wouldnt invest in an asset class thats typically considered to be as safe as houses, and in a climate where its simply wasnt possible to switch on a TV, or attend a dinner party, or go for a drink down the boozer wthout listening to some **** whinge on about how much they where making from property !

During the decade that this particular person was slowly heading towards bankrupcy, and attending seminars on wealth creation, a couple of the other participants in the program where NOT attending seminars, they where actually buying property and building up and managing a portfolio, and in the case of the most successful, with significantly less starting capital. Thats the issue really, some people jsut get on and do stuff, and others dont.

I think that a lot of the tools and techniques promoted by the self help gurus have genuine merit, but lets face it, there's nothing being promoted in these seminars that you cant get by reading a book. I have a couple of tony robbins books that cost less than 6 euros, that pretty much contain the same material thats being regurgitated and resold by others in seminars at 2K a pop (just as Robbins stole the stuff from others who came before him). If things where real bad, I could probably get the book for free from a library !

Practically all of the people who had made money on that program, and teaching others how to do the same, would probably advise those paying them to eliminate credit card debt.

Ironically, most of the people without money, where paying for these seminars on their credit cards... Insanity.

Re anley, yes you can read books but all the reading, all the trading courses in the world won't equip you with the skills to be a trader. To be a trader you have to be a cold hearted EVIL *******, with an interest in hard drinking and loose wimmin. There was a post that I did 2 days ago on the subject in the first steps forum.

Re: BBC Money

A perfect example of the power of positive thought :LOL:

I didnt watch the program (but I might, if I can find some way to fool iPlayer to work outside of the UK). It's easy to mock these people (and they deserve to be mocked), but often the difference between those who succeed and those who fail really does come down to attitude and belief.

agreed ....if we ignore any moral flaws in some (all?) of the schemes then those that get up and do will succeed more than those that just dream about it

N

Some of the people on that program really had lost touch with reality. The woman who spent over 50K of an inheretance, on seminars, then ran up significant credit card debt to the extent that she was almost forced into personal bankrupcy was a classic example.

See how these marketers milk you?

The first course/book/DVD seminar is designed for ONE PURPOSE - to drop the carrot in front of the donkey. So when you don't get everything in the first course, worry not, because as you're a 'valued client' (read, Mark) you'll be able to upgrade to the 'inner circle' and on and on it goes until the marketer has bled you dry and in the case of the women above, you head to bankruptcy.

It's OK to buy a book, the risk is small, but realise if you go further realise you're a pawn in a marketing plan........

YOU'VE ALL BEEN WARNED.

What surprised me about that film was that if I'd had to guess what the wealth creation schemes would be prior to watching it, I'd have put money on network marketing featuring prominently. I gave MLM, (Multi Level Marketing as it was called back then) a shot myself in the early 90s, along with a few million others and failed miserably - along with a few million others! (Amway in my case). However, the common denominator between this program and the MLM schemes of old is the focus on popular psychology. Whilst I don't think there's anything inherently wrong with it, it's useless unless it's backed up by a concrete plan rooted in reality. The smiley young black women (sorry, forgot her name) and the dopey teenage couple seemed pretty clueless and will probably end up in debt and very disillusioned. Pie in the sky dreams of becoming property magnates with £50 in the bank is even more daft than newbies on here thinking they'll be millionaires inside a year with a £100 spread betting account.

IMO, in both cases, their best bet is to get in with a good network marketing company with affordable products that people need - and start very small scale. The boy can do this while holding down his job at Homebase. Although I failed - it can be done. About ten years ago, my sister got into it and I tried to warn her off it - based on my experiences 10 years earlier. However, she pressed ahead with it anyway and just as well she did, as she now makes a full time income from her business. In retrospect, it was a godsend as she's now virtually housebound with advanced MS. Without it, she'd have virtually no chance of being able to support herself. All credit to her - she quite literally put in the leg work before her legs failed her, priming the well which now provides her with a residual income which, hopefully, will be enough to meet her needs as her health deteriorates.
Tim.

Interesting point

I am also a semi-believer in the principle of MLM.....and was partially hooked back in the 80's myself on some rediculous scheme where I bought things like golf clubs via my Sponsor ....etc etc (dont ask)

I didnt bite in the end but I have to say the cauldron of the rah rah meetings were very infectious....with charismatic speakers that make the BBC programmes subjects seem very staid

The thing is for me ..MLM is a very powerful and interesting concept , but sadly is misused and blighted generally by schemes that are greed driven by the creators and do not focus on products and services that are grounded in reality and have long term durability

N

Last edited:
Agree, total Hokum. One of my (hippy) friends showed me it in 2008 - I couldn't sit through it all.

While I'm all for the power of self-belief and positive thinking to keep motivation levels high, which ensures we seek and make the most of opportunities, the idea that we deserve something because we really want it and positively project ourselves towards it is delusional and, somewhat, arrogant.

I bought the book and the video.......

No I am not a 100% believer but again (like in trading) you have to look at everything thats out there to make sure you are up to speed and not missing bits and pieces that can help you overall in your journey

The Secret is one of the fastest selling self improvement products ever.........even if you just focus and learn from the ingredients that got it into that position its money well spent as education

*rubs ears*................NFP's be bad , NFP's be bad

N

Last edited:
Re: BBC Money

agreed ....if we ignore any moral flaws in some (all?) of the schemes then those that get up and do will succeed more than those that just dream about it

The morality of these schemes is an interesting issue. If the scheme involves the sale of a product, then i would argue thats probably fair game. Its an undisputed fact that a small number of people have made significant sums from selling stuff !

A couple of buiness partners of mine have an aquaintance who made over 800 million dollars on a single deal back in the 80's and a great deal more money since. He charges 20K a pop for weekend seminars. His clients include CEO's of publically listed companies, and private entrapreneurs. Will the attendance at such an event guarentee business success ? what exactly is being sold here ? is that moral ? (his sales literature and marketing tactics for these seminars are no different from what you'll find at t2w most days of the week)

I have 2 aquaintances who both run property investment seminars. One has genuine experience, he originally built up a sizable portfolio of student properties, but as far as I am aware the more successful of the two has never owned a property in his life. The information sold via both companies is no doubt very similar, in one case its delivered by staff working for someone who achieved wealth via that route, and in the other, its delivered by staff working for someone who didnt. Is one seminar moral and the other imoral, they teach the same stuff and its an undisputed fact that some people made money from property ?

Its a real grey area.

I would however argue that the majority of trading seminars fall well within the boundaries of fraud. The overriding argument of course is that the key players in this industry have no track record in building wealth via this route. This morning, just for lulz, I looked at a bunch of random trades that I'd taken this year. I then asked the question, what would have happened if I had only taken the trades which met some particular criteria. Lets say for sake of argument I bought when stochastics where greater than some threshold value, or sold when stochastics where below some threshold value, or vice versa it doesnt really matter. The point is, within a few minutes of playing with some fairly common indicators I was able to generate a decent looking equity curve, that in reality is based on nothing other than curve fitting random chance. Will the same curve fitted system work next year... I doubt it, in fact I'd be more inclined to fade it

But lets say that I booked the Excel centre, filled it with 15,000 punters at £600 a pop, showed them the equity curve, and told them that I'd made 20 million trading that system. I think most would agree that thats clearly fraud , but promoting such an event, and making such unsubstantiated claims would be tolerated on most trading forums. Its no different to claiming I'd won the world trading competition. There's a whole industry based on selling backtested curve fitted systems, and in some case, they even go as far as modifying the sytem to screen out losing trades from the backtests !

However lets say that I'm a genuine trader, I read T2W for years, and I see Black Swan in CMC's latest promotional video, saying I should use MACD, RSI and Stochastics in a particular way. Lets presume that by using the indicators in the way he described I took pretty much the same trades as those from my curve fitted backtest, and by random chance, and only by random chance I increased my 25K account to 150K in a year. The point is, random systems do produce perfectly good equity curves from time to time. If I where to sell that information in the genuine belief that I have something of value, would that be morally acceptable. Is ignorance really a defense ?

Lets say I made 25 million in bonus's as a star trader working for Goldman Sachs, before retiring in my 20's. Is that down to random chance ?, is that because I was trading a trend following system at the time the markets where trending ?, if I'd started 5 years earlier or 5 years later would I have the same result ?. Is it moral to run seminars based on my publically audited track record ?

Lets take T2W as an example. They promote the illusion that the average mug punter can trade for profit. In doing so, they generate revenue from advertising, broker rebates IB fees etc. Is that moral ?

You could argue that their latest venture forex desk pretty much provides them with definitive proof that the majority of the membership are incapable of consistantly making a profit, and that the results from the competition are due to random chance. That argument is perhaps a bit unfair as most people who enter the competition do so to win, and you cant win by responsible trading, but if they where to ammend the rules, and transform the enterprise into a genuinely reponsible trading event, it would no doubt confirm that for the majority of participants, their returns are nothing other than luck. Even those trading with an edge are subject to the effects of radom chance.

Is that any more moral than some fradulant lifestyle coach promising to revolutionise your life by attending a £900 seminar :LOL:

You might argue that reading T2W is free, but the consequences of taking advice offered here may cost a great deal more than £900 (in the most extreme of cases your wealth, your home, your wife and kids, and your life !) Its clearly not completely t2w's fault in such an event, but they are complicit.

I suppose the point is that everyones moral framework differs, and the providers of such seminars can usually provide selective cases to justify their actions. I suspect that even Mike Baghdaddy has a successful student somewhere :LOL:

Talib Naseem has some very interesting perspectives on this sort of stuff.

I think there are some good advice in books like rich dad, poor dad. But the marketeers and seminar sellers hype it up for the get rich quick crowd. Like I said earlier in the thread, you can get the books for free at the library.

Best things I took on board when I read the book years ago was creating passive income and compounding over time. I thought about it again during this summer and created a simple HTML email template and got it on a general website and email template site for $14 a go. They give me 50% of each sale and it's sold over a 100 since July. So it brings in about $5 a day, which is not much, but is like getting a dividend from a stock, but without any risk as my investment was just the original day it took me to make it.

I just watch the program on iPlayer and lol.

In order to become rich, or make money you need a good plan and follow through with that plan, which a lot of the people on the program didn't have. Oh yea, and in most cases work f*cking hard.

Come on though, look how biased the program was, picking stupid looking/acting people with silly music in the background and asking them 'so are you a millionaire yet?'. Lol! funny.

There is a lot to be said in educating yourself, but its good to take things with a good dose of skepticism.

For example knowing the difference between an asset and liability is good, but, just knowing this isn't going to make you rich.

Also with regards to 'The Secret' this is a load of horse **** but there is good to be taken from it. Focusing on what you want does work (but not because the universe magically gives you stuff you want!). There is a good argument saying 'How about a starving kid in Africa, can they use the Law of Attraction to become a millionaire?' LOL!

However psychologists and behaviorists do agree that focusing on what you want (within reason) works. So this starving kid in Africa focusing on finding water/food will probably have more of a chance than someone in the same position focusing on how bad they feel and dying.