Trading Career

Alexhockey

Hi, I'm soon to finish a BSc in Economics and am looking to move into a career as a trader, not just a means of making 'money on the side'. Could anyone advise me as to what a good starting point would be to get into trading?

p.s. I've come across a number of companies who offer trading courses for a fee, would this be beneficial to me in terms of securing a permanent trading position in a trading house?

Thanks

University of Essex, 4 x B's and a C at A-level in Maths, English, Business, Economics and Psychology (had personal problems over exam period)

Ok, well sadly it's going to be tough to go the Investment Banking route (at least with just an undergrad degree) so you're going to be limited to prop shops and market makers pretty much. I'd not recommend you pay to learn, those are stupid. There are some prop shops which run training courses with a view to giving you a position where you trade your own money if successful (futex, Schneider Trading Associates, MET and a few others around) you can find out about them on here.

But I think a good direction to go would be to get a job with a salary which trains you and you trade for the company and get base salary + some bonus. See Mako, Liquid Capital, Tibra and there's a few other names to check out i'm sure. You can always go prop after that if you have a good trading record.