How to secure career in trading

Blaiserboy

391 24
For a career in trading, you have to have stong mathematical ability (advanced degree in Maths) and good analytical skills as 'hard' skills. If you have are an MBA in Finance, with an undergraduate in Maths, Physics or Engineering, you are a likely candidate for a job with a Trading House. Start as an Junior Analyst or Junior Trader.

Cheers,

Site Administrator
PetroJobRecruit.co.uk
(International Oil&Gas Industry Job Board)
We also cover Oil Trading Jobs
Thanks for this post and clarification.

BuddingTrader007

24 0
Just a quick updates guys, I have been trading on virtual acct from past 1 month and doing quite well.My spread betting and cfd portfolio are up by almost 10%. I have been to free seminar by knowledge to action which was great n very helpful...

Thanks a lot all of you. I hope I ll make to some good trading arcades...Cheers

midita

34 0
yeah,i'm a green hand at trade and so happy many around people can help me .i think you should contact lots of people and learn from them.

BuddingTrader007

24 0
Hi, Thnks for reply bt i find it difficult to network with people as I dnt have any contacts in the country especially in the trading sector. Could you offer me some advice.
Are there any recruitment agencies who looks after young graduates for trading?

Arek Okrasa

186 0
After CISI Exams

Hello Everyone,

As I don`t have any experiance on CISI exams can I ask a few questions?

I am a home based trader and I would like to:
1) start work for a bank, as a trader, or
2) collect funds from private clients and trade on their behalf

Is there any chance that after being FSA regulated (passing Module 1 - 2 and 3) I will be able to apply for a job as a trader or trade on client behalf?

Finally, how long does it takes to study and pass one module? (in average?)

Many thanks,
Arek

BuddingTrader007

24 0
As has been mentioned several times in this thread, you really ought to evaluate why a) you did an MBA and b) why you want to be a trader - because the two do not compliment one another.

Also, you say you studied Corporate Finance and therefore you want to be a trader, which suggests to me that you have little to no idea of what trading is because corporate finance is an entirely separate field altogether (though an equally lucrative one, at that...).

So in summary - ask yourself some pressing questions. If you want to be a trader because you want fast cars and b*tches, and you think your MBA will be beneficial, you really need to think long and hard about your situation.

If I were you, I'd utilise the MBA and find a professional career in the finance industy working for a bank, an accountancy or law firm. Here your knowledge is likely to be far more suited, and your qualification far more appreciated (as it ought to be!). Once you've secured a career, start trading on the side in your spare time. After a while you'll get a better understanding of whether it's for you or not, and it'll put you in a far better position for future trading job applications.
Just a update few months back I took part in a competition organised by Credit Suisse & eFinancial careers in which 1000s of young graduates took part across Europe . I was ranked under top 10 traders n wht an exp. it was I just loved it. great .The reason why I m after trading career is m really passionate abt it I hv got a call frm futex n othr prop. houses bt still i m caution while MBA do help in matching criteria for t job butits bit hard to get an interview call for me ...So just wanna improve my enjoyability...

Blaiserboy

391 24
Just a update few months back I took part in a competition organised by Credit Suisse & eFinancial careers in which 1000s of young graduates took part across Europe . I was ranked under top 10 traders n wht an exp. it was I just loved it. great .The reason why I m after trading career is m really passionate abt it I hv got a call frm futex n othr prop. houses bt still i m caution while MBA do help in matching criteria for t job butits bit hard to get an interview call for me ...So just wanna improve my enjoyability...
There may be a significant difference in what is being called trading...... investing and trading are vastly different.

From what I see regarding opportunities for university grads in trading..... C++, track record, Sharpe ratio of >5, for a start.

Unless you have those types of qualifications trading may be hard for you to crack.

C++ is demanded by most places, and other languages are also wanted.

As mentioned in the prior post. perhaps evaluate why MBA as opposed to engineering..... for a career in trading.

A firm is going to be reluctant to train someone....... your education is not what they are looking for, somehow you will have to bridge the gap..

What they want to see is a statement of your trading account...... and if the numbers are not there.. they have a gazillion more resumes to peruse.

If you are not trading today and writing your own software to trade..... you will be disappointed in looking for a trading job.

EricTheTrader

33 0
There's no security in trading. Going into trading is a risk. Maybe you might have a security, if you'll able to established your own brokerage firm.

munchiedude

320 10
Re: After CISI Exams

Hello Everyone,

As I don`t have any experiance on CISI exams can I ask a few questions?

I am a home based trader and I would like to:
1) start work for a bank, as a trader, or
2) collect funds from private clients and trade on their behalf

Is there any chance that after being FSA regulated (passing Module 1 - 2 and 3) I will be able to apply for a job as a trader or trade on client behalf?

Finally, how long does it takes to study and pass one module? (in average?)

Many thanks,
Arek
hi arek, just as a off topic answer to your post, i currently am a private client broker in an advisory capacity and not quite the trader capacity but there are colleagues at my firm that deal with discretionary clients and i believe this is possible for yourself. firstly you would need your fsa regulation exams, module 1, 2 and 8 (investment risk) and i believe you would need the IMC (investment management certificate) also before you can conduct discretionary trading.
as to whether there is any chance you will be able to apply as a trader, well that depends on your work/education experience and background which i am unable to comment on however, there are firms out there offering trainee positions but more research would be advised from your part.
as to the timeframe for passing one module...again, this depends on your study ability but as an example, it took me 1 month to pass my unit 1 and 1 month to pass my unit 2.

hope this helps and good luck.

Arek Okrasa

186 0
Re: After CISI Exams

That was cool answer. Really helpful.

Thank you very much. Indeed.

Kind regards,
Arek

hi arek, just as a off topic answer to your post, i currently am a private client broker in an advisory capacity and not quite the trader capacity but there are colleagues at my firm that deal with discretionary clients and i believe this is possible for yourself. firstly you would need your fsa regulation exams, module 1, 2 and 8 (investment risk) and i believe you would need the IMC (investment management certificate) also before you can conduct discretionary trading.
as to whether there is any chance you will be able to apply as a trader, well that depends on your work/education experience and background which i am unable to comment on however, there are firms out there offering trainee positions but more research would be advised from your part.
as to the timeframe for passing one module...again, this depends on your study ability but as an example, it took me 1 month to pass my unit 1 and 1 month to pass my unit 2.

hope this helps and good luck.

davidday

4 0
Unless it would be too much of a culture shock for you to make your living at home verses the 9-5 grind I would strongly suggest taking the independent trader route. There are tons of resources out there. Some free, some you have to pay for. Some of the ones you pay for are not worth the investment and others are from seasoned traders that will not just give away their professional techniques without a fee.

Most of the time, if you buy from a reputable independent trader the investment is small compared to the knowledge and lifetime skills you get in return. Once you learn their skills you can make the money back in no time.

Here is a free video I have put together on getting started that I hope helps a little in your journey.

Much Success

gabbytrades

9 0
got an email offer from city financial traders to join their trader training program but its a bit costly and again after several searches cannot find much discussions about them also they are NOT FSA authorised...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

But it's thanks to our sponsors that access to Trade2Win remains free for all. By viewing our ads you help us pay our bills, so please support the site and disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock