The fate of a trader

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sounds like Dinos did things right...I just remembed this thread because someone PM'd me over on another board asking me if I was where I wanted to be after my early posts on J16...

And although I am sure this warning will fall on deaf ears, I have to say that I am more or less where I wanted to be when I sat in my 9-5 as a journalist/web editor, dreaming about one day being a trader and having financial independence to work for myself, from home.

Well, I got there eventually. Its by no means always easy but I'm profitable - Infact my trading now makes me exactly five and half times what I used to be paid per week in my old job... but I've got no friends, I hardly ever speak to my family and I've lost the love of my life - my girlfriend of 7 years because I always had my nose in a book or on a computer reading a forum or watching a chart.

I get up everyday and am free. Yesterday, I laid in bed until I felt like getting up. I drove into town, sat in Costa, had coffee. Read a book. Came home. Placed a trade. It hit my target. I exited. Walked into town this time. Bought an X-Box, came home and played Call of Duty 4 all day. Spoke to my friends on MSN who moan about their boring day jobs, Made some nice food. Went for a walk in the sunshine. etc.

When I used to get up at 6am, tired and dreading the day, getting the 141 into town only to sit typing up stories I couldn't give two sh*ts about and have someone I disliked breathing down my neck...the life I have now was the life I always dreamed about.

I lost my girlfriend because I wanted that life. Yet now, I would give up all my money and all the experience I've gained trading to get the girl back I lost to get there.

Although I hate to compare myself to anyone that has or had more power and influence than I will ever had, I really empathise with Benjamin Disraeli, the 19th Century Conservative PM:

"Few lives have a deeper irony than his. At thirty he deliberately sacrificed romantic love for the hope of power, and spent the next forty years striving for it. When, at seventy, he became Prime Minister with the certainty of a fairly long tenure in office, he was solitary, there was nobody left to care for him, he was so often unwell that his sole refreshment at the gorgeous banquets of the time was a biscuit and soda-water. Supreme irony of it all! the man who sacrificed love for power found when he had great power that what he wanted was love, and the Prime Minister lived only to write letters to Lady Bradford and fretted through anxious days waiting for the moment when he should see her".

Four English Potraits - Richard Aldington

When I started this thread, I said there was a price we all paid that went way beyond what we lost in monetary terms learning the business. And for me, it simpy has not been worth it.

I hope that's not the case for everyone.

Shut the fook up, call of duty was worth it...:D

Sounds like Dinos did things right...I just remembed this thread because someone PM'd me over on another board asking me if I was where I wanted to be after my early posts on J16...

And although I am sure this warning will fall on deaf ears, I have to say that I am more or less where I wanted to be when I sat in my 9-5 as a journalist/web editor, dreaming about one day being a trader and having financial independence to work for myself, from home.

Well, I got there eventually. Its by no means always easy but I'm profitable - Infact my trading now makes me exactly five and half times what I used to be paid per week in my old job... but I've got no friends, I hardly ever speak to my family and I've lost the love of my life - my girlfriend of 7 years because I always had my nose in a book or on a computer reading a forum or watching a chart.

I get up everyday and am free. Yesterday, I laid in bed until I felt like getting up. I drove into town, sat in Costa, had coffee. Read a book. Came home. Placed a trade. It hit my target. I exited. Walked into town this time. Bought an X-Box, came home and played Call of Duty 4 all day. Spoke to my friends on MSN who moan about their boring day jobs, Made some nice food. Went for a walk in the sunshine. etc.

When I used to get up at 6am, tired and dreading the day, getting the 141 into town only to sit typing up stories I couldn't give two sh*ts about and have someone I disliked breathing down my neck...the life I have now was the life I always dreamed about.

I lost my girlfriend because I wanted that life. Yet now, I would give up all my money and all the experience I've gained trading to get the girl back I lost to get there.

Although I hate to compare myself to anyone that has or had more power and influence than I will ever had, I really empathise with Benjamin Disraeli, the 19th Century Conservative PM:

"Few lives have a deeper irony than his. At thirty he deliberately sacrificed romantic love for the hope of power, and spent the next forty years striving for it. When, at seventy, he became Prime Minister with the certainty of a fairly long tenure in office, he was solitary, there was nobody left to care for him, he was so often unwell that his sole refreshment at the gorgeous banquets of the time was a biscuit and soda-water. Supreme irony of it all! the man who sacrificed love for power found when he had great power that what he wanted was love, and the Prime Minister lived only to write letters to Lady Bradford and fretted through anxious days waiting for the moment when he should see her".

When I started this thread, I said there was a price we all paid that went way beyond what we lost in monetary terms learning the business. And for me, it simpy has not been worth it.

I know exactly what you mean... I can feel myself heading down that path, i haven't got their but i can feel it... The more i learn to trade, the more commited i get, the more interested i get, the more i become conscious of myself and my thoughts, the more isolated i feel. The further i am distanced from others, the furhter i am distanced from life and normal things... Most people don't have the concerns i do at my age, my constant thought process is of trading, even when i'm out - Constantly searching for perfection, constantly searching for profits, constantly seeking the challenge.
I'm so aware of my own thoughts, sometimes i just think i can never be happy.

The pull of an obession to trading is like gravity - Pulling me away from the freedom of ignorance, happiness and friends, Normal lifestyles and relaxation... Isolation and frustration will eventually lead to my demise. I can feel it.

Don"t look back in anger

Stop Loss Hit TD :!:

next set up

look forward, dream new dreams from where you are right now, never look back, its gone

High risk setup :!: look back at your peril

take dinos advice, learn from it, move forward

potential profit many many times the risk

Last edited:
It is a sad point to make but I believe that the best traders have given up a lot to get where they are - much more so than many people realise.

Trading Price Action: An absolute insult to the amount of time some people have spent studying financial mathematics.

Tom
Ha ha, ha!!
Who's laughing now?

elitetits,

Did you get some of that move in Gold today?! I took $10 out of that bad boy :)

Attachments

• Gold.jpg
    Gold.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 293

This is exactly why I use time to trade.
Instead of sitting in front of the computer all day I turn the computer on when I can get to it and let the market tell me when it will make a move, and then come back then.
I get in the trade and out in a bout 15-20 minutes and then go live my life.
I use trading and don't let it use me up.

The market will always be there and there will always be another setup that "just has to be traded cause it's perfect".

TD I truly hope that if you are not there yet you get to the point where you can truly beat the market.
That's the point after you are profitable AND after you put your foot on its neck to keep it where you want it in your life.(y)

Jason

I understand that this is a natural thought, but not necessarily a correct one, because I am outside and not emotional about it like you. You wanted to achieve something in your life, because you were unhappy with your lot. You made many sacrifices sure. But you assume you lost the girl because of trading. She might be a wonderful person, but she is also a girl who wouldn't stand by and support you doing what you wanted to do. Wouldn't support you improving your life. Would she therefore want you to sit in a job you hate and suffer as your self-esteem and dreams disintegrate? Would that be such a great relationship, or in time would it wear out anyway. What do I know :) but it is worth thinking about. This is the love of your life you say. I'd say, the love of your life so far, but not the right one for you. Most of the achievers of the world have to make heavy sacrifices to succeed in all walks of life, not just trading. There are many girls who will make allowances for that, even encourage it or many girls busy improving their own lot in life, who won't see your sacrifices in the same light.

Sure at times I bet it was hard for her, but cheating aside, I don't think there is usually just one reason why a girl leaves a guy. And wasn't it hard on you when you were unhappy in your job? You really think the relationship would have been wonderful with you feeling that? Perhaps you need to think why you really broke up, and not just put it all on trading, and not be emotional about it. Hard I know. Forget the word trading, you did a job and worked hard, this is not something shameful. You weren't right for eachother, and wanted different things in life, or weren't prepared to support eachother in getting eachothers goals. I similarly split up with the 'love of my life' (5-6 year relationship), and blamed myself for different reasons. At the time I felt like you. Now that I am emotionally detached from it, I realise there were so many reasons it didn't work. And since she was a good girl, most of the reasons she gave for not wanting to give it another go weren't the real reason. They were just convenient ones to protect my feelings, as girls sometimes do. Some things are not meant to be. Probably not what you wanted to hear, sorry. Hope the next one works out better for you.

Live proven 75% profitable.Have some advice you care to give or should I guess what your saying.

Yes ... you are either profitable or not. 75% profitable implies you are less than 100% profitable which is not good.
You should rephrase it to show you have 75% returns on investments ...

I understand that this is a natural thought, but not necessarily a correct one, because I am outside and not emotional about it like you. You wanted to achieve something in your life, because you were unhappy with your lot. You made many sacrifices sure. But you assume you lost the girl because of trading. She might be a wonderful person, but she is also a girl who wouldn't stand by and support you doing what you wanted to do. Wouldn't support you improving your life. Would she therefore want you to sit in a job you hate and suffer as your self-esteem and dreams disintegrate? Would that be such a great relationship, or in time would it wear out anyway. What do I know :) but it is worth thinking about. This is the love of your life you say. I'd say, the love of your life so far, but not the right one for you. Most of the achievers of the world have to make heavy sacrifices to succeed in all walks of life, not just trading. There are many girls who will make allowances for that, even encourage it or many girls busy improving their own lot in life, who won't see your sacrifices in the same light.

Sure at times I bet it was hard for her, but cheating aside, I don't think there is usually just one reason why a girl leaves a guy. And wasn't it hard on you when you were unhappy in your job? You really think the relationship would have been wonderful with you feeling that? Perhaps you need to think why you really broke up, and not just put it all on trading, and not be emotional about it. Hard I know. Forget the word trading, you did a job and worked hard, this is not something shameful. You weren't right for eachother, and wanted different things in life, or weren't prepared to support eachother in getting eachothers goals. I similarly split up with the 'love of my life' (5-6 year relationship), and blamed myself for different reasons. At the time I felt like you. Now that I am emotionally detached from it, I realise there were so many reasons it didn't work. And since she was a good girl, most of the reasons she gave for not wanting to give it another go weren't the real reason. They were just convenient ones to protect my feelings, as girls sometimes do. Some things are not meant to be. Probably not what you wanted to hear, sorry. Hope the next one works out better for you.

My thoughts exactly. Any bird worth staying with should support you in following your dreams. They should be there for you no matter what. Just like you'd have been there for her. The fact that she left just shows her lack of commitment, do you really want a bird that isn't commited to you? No. Anyway, I seriously doubt that she left you because you spent too much time learning/trading. Chances are some d1ck groomed here at her work and stole her off you or somethin. In which case she is fickle. Don't beat yourself up man there is nothing wrong with you. Time will heal all. When I split up with my ex, I cried for about 3 days non stop. I thought my friggin life was over. Now almost 5 years on I have a better bird, she's got a well better ass and she's nicer...I couldn't give a toss about the ex now. If she floated passed me dead in a river I'd probably throw a stone at her. I am absolutely w@nk at trading. Today I just felt like giving up. I spoke to the bird on the phone and said I might take all my capital out of my account and just spend it cos I am only gonna waste it trading. She told me that she knew I could do it and one day I'll be able to trade and I shouldn't give up. She told me not to worry about my losing trade and just concentrate on the next one. "Don't fed up, be happy" In her sweet little asian accent. Now thats the kind of bird you need, not someone who p1sses off when things get hard. You'll find someone. Maybe Elitetits will become the love of your life.

Peace.

Yes ... you are either profitable or not. 75% profitable implies you are less than 100% profitable which is not good.
You should rephrase it to show you have 75% returns on investments ...
Go back to sleep, you are clueless.

Hi all

Sorry I am a bit late on this thread as I have not long been posting on T2W.

Just really wanted to say that so much of this thread rang true for me.

I am someone who, like masses before me learnt the hard way by nearly blowing up my first attempt at trading, that trading is something that needs at least a certain dedication of time to become even half way good at it.

A Doctor for example needs to go to University, then spend time learning on the job, and I think trading needs the same discipline.

I effectively left trading alone for nearly 12 months (might have been slightly more now I think of it) and immersed myself in a number of books videos from youtube, and forums such as this to build my knowledge as much as possible before committing again.

I have now gone live again in FX and at the end of month one I was about 8% up.

That said the two trades I am in right now could halve that LOL.

I think that to reach my goal of eventually trading full time means I will spend much more time learning before I can feel that set ups etc come as second nature (I also need to build capital as I have little to start with). Only once that is done can I restore some "work life balance" and in the meantime I hope that my wife (and daughter who has just moved back in with me after 16 years with MUM) continue to understand why I have my nose in my laptop every spare minute, and I hope to repay them in time with the spoils of my hard worked for rewards in due course.

To those that have suffered along the way I truely hope all works out and you can look back with pride hen you make it through.

Good luck all

Graeme

It occurs to me that a lot of people in ordinary jobs sacrifice, to some extent, their home life for their job, and I am not just talking about high-paid high-fliers. I can think of quite a few examples quite close to home, and at one period, I probably came into that category.

My thoughts exactly. Any bird worth staying with should support you in following your dreams. They should be there for you no matter what. Just like you'd have been there for her. The fact that she left just shows her lack of commitment, do you really want a bird that isn't commited to you? No. Anyway, I seriously doubt that she left you because you spent too much time learning/trading. Chances are some d1ck groomed here at her work and stole her off you or somethin. In which case she is fickle. Don't beat yourself up man there is nothing wrong with you. Time will heal all. When I split up with my ex, I cried for about 3 days non stop. I thought my friggin life was over. Now almost 5 years on I have a better bird, she's got a well better ass and she's nicer...I couldn't give a toss about the ex now. If she floated passed me dead in a river I'd probably throw a stone at her. I am absolutely w@nk at trading. Today I just felt like giving up. I spoke to the bird on the phone and said I might take all my capital out of my account and just spend it cos I am only gonna waste it trading. She told me that she knew I could do it and one day I'll be able to trade and I shouldn't give up. She told me not to worry about my losing trade and just concentrate on the next one. "Don't fed up, be happy" In her sweet little asian accent. Now thats the kind of bird you need, not someone who p1sses off when things get hard. You'll find someone. Maybe Elitetits will become the love of your life.

Peace.

women only care about their survival, period. once she feels she has successfully 'pair bonded' to produce the healthiest offspring, all her emotional energy is diverted to her offspring, everything before that is just rhetoric.

in most cases, the man is just the tool to provide her and her offspring with the best chances of survival.

women dont care about many of the things you would like them to care about. in an ideal world, what you say is true, however, honour, loyalty(just yours to hers), word is bond, are not traits women hold in the highest regard. (not to say women do not posses these traits, they are just not as important to women as they are to men)

what is important to women is : your social status, your material posessions (i.e your ability to provide for her and her offsprings survival, her wants and needs) how healthy you are, how much in demand you are by other women, if you are a leader, your ability to give her a rollercoaster of emotions (make her feel, your personality and character), will you stay and be loyal.

women are emotionally driven creatures, at the end of the day, she will always do what feels right to her. not what is logically right to us males.

most women will look for the door when the situation does not feel right, when she is not getting something(not necessarily material) out of the relationship, and she will find it else where.

if she is attractive, she will have many, many, many options, she does not need to put up with it.

everyone says all women are different, you may think you have found one which is special, but I can tell you that, women have more commonalities than differences, this one just wants more or less what you are offering her at this point in time.

Just posted this in general forums, then read this thread and thought it relevent, so posted it here too.-

Girlfriends and Wifes and Trading.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I find my biggest handicap in trading is my wife. (Or is it that by trading I escape the wife?). Oh F*uck, seriously, she just came in and read that! I am in big trouble!

She wants me to sociailise with her, by watching T.V. ff sake, I do not call that socialising. 'Can you switch off that computer and spend time with me?' watching T.V, yeah right. At least what I am doing is pro-active.

Going to bed long after she has, is not to good for us, I do not need as much sleep as her anyway. She has just asked me if this is a fad. I don't know? Depends if I think I can make proper money out of this or not.

I am trying to work on longer time frames, to lesson screen times, she still complains.

I work full time, any suggestions, or tips on this balancing act?

By the way she is first the first to complain if we do not have enough money to do something. What am I trying to do, I am trying to find a way of generating xtra income for her and our son.

Do you find yourself in a similar situation, how is this situation affecting you?

I felt like she was about to to go down the of route of its trading or me.

Status
Not open for further replies.