Best Thread The 3 Duck's Trading System

Hi not sure if anyone is actually reading this thread but if there is, I won't be entering on break of 1.36 today. London is closed and the pair already moved nearly 200 pips since this morning, makes a retrace likely.

Good trading.
Good evening Nigel. Yeah, good post about the euro. I jumped on it about 10:30pm last night and caught the 'gap' (whilst looking for 3duck trades.)
After reading your post I decided to stay in and moved stop to break even.
So, many thanks for that(y). Also, I think it became a valid 'duck' trade around noon today. Currently about +170.
Thanx again.

Good evening Nigel. Yeah, good post about the euro. I jumped on it about 10:30pm last night and caught the 'gap' (whilst looking for 3duck trades.)
After reading your post I decided to stay in and moved stop to break even.
So, many thanks for that(y). Also, I think it became a valid 'duck' trade around noon today. Currently about +170.
Thanx again.

That's nice trading Denman.

If you zoom out on your 4hr chart (if you haven't already) you'll see why I think this trade might still have some legs on her yet. Obviously there's nothing certain in the markets but I don't see why we couldn't see the 1.31 area again.

If it works out we make sure to take as many pips as the market is willing to give. If it reverses we give as few pips to the market as possible.

Let's see what happens over the course of the week.

Good trading.

Attachments

• 4HR3.jpg
    4HR3.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 202
Looks a bit different from your previous approach Nige. You're welcome for the message i sent you ages ago by the way.

Looks a bit different from your previous approach Nige. You're welcome for the message i sent you ages ago by the way.

Hi JRP2891 Not really, I still try to run my winners for as long as I can. My AUD.JPY shorts are still running from the other thread in fact, although they came very close to being knocked out a couple of weeks ago. The other thread was meant to explore how long I could go with my account just running winners but unfortunately the debate didn't work out the way I had hoped. I still stand by everything I said in that thread though.

Please accept my apologies about the message, I got slightly disenfranchised with the response I was getting on the previous thread and so I gave this site a rest for a while. I will reply in detail today.

I have always been a big fan of the three ducks approach, but I only take set ups that really appeal to me, and sometimes I mightn't get a trade for a few weeks. I use a variety of ways to enter the market, 3 ducks being just one. Running winners is the essence of my trading, it isn't confined to any particular strategy.

Good trading.

Captain Currency says

A rocky ride for the Euro lately …

I Hope This Helps You.

Here Is My Current View On Some Currency Pairs Using The 3 Ducks Trading System.

November 16th 2011 at approx 9am Dublin Time;

Eur.Usd
– I would be looking for selling opportunities when my 3 ducks line up :)

Gbp.Usd – I would be looking for selling opportunities when my 3 ducks line up :)

Eur.Gbp – The Pound is slightly stronger than the Euro at the moment imo and I would be looking for selling opportunities when my 3 ducks line up :D

Usd.Chf – I would be looking for buying opportunities when my 3 ducks line up :D

Aud.Usd – I would be looking for selling opportunities when my 3 ducks line up :)

Usd.Cad – I would be looking for buying opportunities when my 3 ducks line up. A break and hold below the 1.0150 area would get me neutral on this pair :cool:

Usd.Jpy – I would be looking for the selling opportunities when my 3 ducks line up. A break and hold below the 76.90 area would be good for the bears ;)

Eur.Jpy –I would be looking for the selling opportunities when my 3 ducks line up :)

Best wishes with your trading,
Andy

These are not trade recommendations. The 3 Duck’s Trading System is best used as a set of guidelines with discretion in addition with your own market analysis and trading ideas.

Is anyone really making money from this method?? Doesn't look like it to me.
Evening Tony. As I have said in a previous post, I recently did the 1 on 1. I am entering my third week tomorrow 180 + (including losses.)
I don't know about long term but, for me, its very much proven to be beneficial to my trading.
Bye for now.

Currently have a pending order on Eur/Jpy @ 103.56.
Is anyone from this thread in the 'private' 3 ducks?

A competent trader will make money with any "system". Once he has mastered risk v reward, money management and his own mind, the system/strategy/approach/method/whatever is of minor consequence. It is simply the way he enters the market, which is a very small part of the equation. :smart:

Last edited:
Captain Currency says

I hope this helps you.

Here Is An Idea Of My Current View On Some Currency Pairs Using The 3 Ducks Trading System.

November 23rd 2011 at approx midday Dublin Time;

Eur.Usd – Same as last week, I would be looking for selling opportunities when my 3 ducks line up :)

Gbp.Usd – Same as last week, I would be looking for selling opportunities when my 3 ducks line up :D

Eur.Gbp – The Euro is slightly stronger than the Pound at the moment and I would be looking for buying opportunities when my 3 ducks line up :)

Usd.Chf – I would be looking for buying opportunities when my 3 ducks line up. A break and hold below the 0.9080 area would get me neutral on this pair :)

Aud.Usd – I would be looking for selling opportunities when my 3 ducks line up :)

Usd.Cad – I would be looking for buying opportunities when my 3 ducks line up :)

Usd.Jpy – I would be looking for the selling opportunities when my 3 ducks line up. A break and hold below the 76.70 area would be good for the bears again :rolleyes:

Eur.Jpy –I would be looking for the selling opportunities when my 3 ducks line up. Sellers next goal is a break of the 103.20 area ;)

Hope that helps you.

Keep it Simple,
Andy

These are not trade recommendations. The 3 Duck’s Trading System is best used as a set of guidelines with discretion in addition with your own market analysis and trading ideas.

Please remind me what's the recommendations for data periods. Exclude weekends (though weekend times are what in what time zone?); anything about excluding night times too?

(Just so we are all looking at the same(ish) SMAs.)

I seem to recall it was posted in this thread, but if someone would safe me the 200+ page trawl, I would appreciate it.

Cheers!
CJ

Hello Jyde. Not sure exactly what you're asking but if you go to the first page you can follow the link for 'the Captains' pdf.
This is the end of my third week following the 1 on 1 and I am +349.
Bye for now.

Hello Jyde. Not sure exactly what you're asking but if you go to the first page you can follow the link for 'the Captains' pdf.
This is the end of my third week following the 1 on 1 and I am +349.
Bye for now.

Denman, you misunderstood me - or I didn't explain myself well.
My question is not directly pertaining to the system, but rather overall setup.

I am asking what - if any - data times/periods people are excluding from their charts, e.g. weekends, evenings, nights.

For example, a trader starting up a chart with a 60 SMA Monday morning with all weekend data included is going to see a substantially different SMA, compared to someone who, say, excluded all weekend data from the chart.

In order to make any judgements on the charts and figures posted here, I feel this is a vital piece of information. If not, I might be comparing apples to pears when looking at the charts.

Hope this is clearer.
Cheers!
CJ

Hello Jyde. No, I did understand you. As far as i'm concerned all the info' you require for the 'basic' three ducks is in the pdf.
On Sun' evenings(GMT) I plot my support/resistance levels then I will check to see if there is strong SMA60 momentum and possibly place a pending trade but, due to work, I don't really start trading 'til Mon' afternoon.
I can't really disclose more than this as the 1 on 1 trading differs somewhat to the basic 3ducks.
So, in answer to your question, I really don't think it matters what time of day, where in the world you are (I traded this while in the Philippines with +pips),or taking wkend data into account or not as long as your ducks are lined up etc.
And of course before I trade I have a check list ie: News, S/R levels etc..
I hope this helps,
Bye for now

I hope this helps,

Hello Denman,

yes, it is helpful, thank you much for your reply; though as for my question, all I wished to know - maybe I could have been more concise - was pertaining to the charts people have posted on here, i.e. whether their SMAs included all data or excluded some. Makes a difference when comparing to my own charts.

If people are not willing or able to part with this information, I naturally respect that.
Anyway, I shall not be pursuing it any further.

Thanks again, Denman, much appreciated.
CJ

Hello Denman,

yes, it is helpful, thank you much for your reply; though as for my question, all I wished to know - maybe I could have been more concise - was pertaining to the charts people have posted on here, i.e. whether their SMAs included all data or excluded some. Makes a difference when comparing to my own charts.
CJ

Hi Jyde,

I don't think it makes a huge difference. I don't know if my broker includes or excludes weekend data. Yes if we all post charts here and scrutinise them we may well find small discrepancies between our sma lines. This somewhat misses the point. The sma is a guide to the direction and strength of the trend. If there is a trend in place it is usually obvious. If you have to look for it it's probably not there. We shouldn't be arguing over small differences in the sma, the trend should be clear. If I were you I wouldn't worry too much about weekend data, just get the lines on your chart, start practicing and see how you go! :D

Good trading

Hi JRP2891 Not really, I still try to run my winners for as long as I can. My AUD.JPY shorts are still running from the other thread in fact, although they came very close to being knocked out a couple of weeks ago. The other thread was meant to explore how long I could go with my account just running winners but unfortunately the debate didn't work out the way I had hoped. I still stand by everything I said in that thread though.

Please accept my apologies about the message, I got slightly disenfranchised with the response I was getting on the previous thread and so I gave this site a rest for a while. I will reply in detail today.

I have always been a big fan of the three ducks approach, but I only take set ups that really appeal to me, and sometimes I mightn't get a trade for a few weeks. I use a variety of ways to enter the market, 3 ducks being just one. Running winners is the essence of my trading, it isn't confined to any particular strategy.

Good trading.

Hello Nigel, You seem to be very familiar with the 3ducks( which I've been considering), and just want to clarify something in your last post. You say sometimes you don't get a qualifying set-up for a few weeks. How many pairs do you monitor? thanks

Hello Nigel, You seem to be very familiar with the 3ducks( which I've been considering), and just want to clarify something in your last post. You say sometimes you don't get a qualifying set-up for a few weeks. How many pairs do you monitor? thanks

Hi itzak, I am sure there are 3 ducks set ups that occur in the markets every day that conform to the rules, qualify, as you put it. However, in my experience trading this method, I have found that not all 3 ducks trades are created equal. As Andy says, the 3 ducks is not a system whereby you tick off boxes and if all the criteria is met you jump in. It requires discretion and some use of your brain to pick and choose which trades to take and which not to take. To acquire that discretion takes practice, many hours of looking at the charts, reviewing trades, comparing winners to losers, identifying common themes, etc. When you do acquire discretion, identifying good set ups becomes like second nature, like riding a bike.

Now when most new traders hear of boring things like practice, work, using your brain, etc, they run for the hills. Off to find the enter when this crosses that, this is above 50, that dot is there, the moon is behind saturn, then go pick up your new Maserati type system.

Some new traders, and I was guilty of this myself, enter the market with an automatic machine gun, shooting everywhere, entering trades left right and centre, making poor entries. It's not working so they reload, and fire even more. Frustration, anger, eventually they are out of ammo, the margin call comes, they throw the gun at the market and leave. "3 ducks is a load of ****" or whatever.

What you want to be is a sniper, sitting in wait, maybe for weeks if necessary, a limited number of rounds to spend, wait for the one direct shot to the head, aggressive, big pips in your account. Quality not quantity. It's much harder work to be the sniper than it is to be the machine gun but the rewards are better too.

Sorry about the long winded answer. In short, I monitor pretty much all the main currency pairs and crosses, but in terms of the trades that I enter, I am very selective. When I have decided on a potential trade that looks good, I am very aggressive. I will enter hard, add positions if I get the opportunity to, and run it for as many pips as possible. I do use other ways to enter the market too, 3 ducks is just one weapon in the arsenal, but definitely one of the best.

Hope this helps. Apologies if you are some massive big balls trader and you know all of this already. I don't mean to patronise anyone. Maybe someone reading the thread will get some value out of it.

Good trading

Nigel

ADD - Can I just add the disclaimer, this is just what I do, I am sure there are traders who trade every day, or even every minute, that are very profitable. There are many ways to skin the cat, I'm just describing what works for me.

Nigel, yet another excellant post, well done.
Its been very quiet for me re 3ducks as not able to spot THAT trade, still, had a great couple of weeks,
Bye for now

Hi itzak, I am sure there are 3 ducks set ups that occur in the markets every day that conform to the rules, qualify, as you put it. However, in my experience trading this method, I have found that not all 3 ducks trades are created equal. As Andy says, the 3 ducks is not a system whereby you tick off boxes and if all the criteria is met you jump in. It requires discretion and some use of your brain to pick and choose which trades to take and which not to take. To acquire that discretion takes practice, many hours of looking at the charts, reviewing trades, comparing winners to losers, identifying common themes, etc. When you do acquire discretion, identifying good set ups becomes like second nature, like riding a bike.

Now when most new traders hear of boring things like practice, work, using your brain, etc, they run for the hills. Off to find the enter when this crosses that, this is above 50, that dot is there, the moon is behind saturn, then go pick up your new Maserati type system.

Some new traders, and I was guilty of this myself, enter the market with an automatic machine gun, shooting everywhere, entering trades left right and centre, making poor entries. It's not working so they reload, and fire even more. Frustration, anger, eventually they are out of ammo, the margin call comes, they throw the gun at the market and leave. "3 ducks is a load of ****" or whatever.

What you want to be is a sniper, sitting in wait, maybe for weeks if necessary, a limited number of rounds to spend, wait for the one direct shot to the head, aggressive, big pips in your account. Quality not quantity. It's much harder work to be the sniper than it is to be the machine gun but the rewards are better too.

Sorry about the long winded answer. In short, I monitor pretty much all the main currency pairs and crosses, but in terms of the trades that I enter, I am very selective. When I have decided on a potential trade that looks good, I am very aggressive. I will enter hard, add positions if I get the opportunity to, and run it for as many pips as possible. I do use other ways to enter the market too, 3 ducks is just one weapon in the arsenal, but definitely one of the best.

Hope this helps. Apologies if you are some massive big balls trader and you know all of this already. I don't mean to patronise anyone. Maybe someone reading the thread will get some value out of it.

Good trading

Nigel

ADD - Can I just add the disclaimer, this is just what I do, I am sure there are traders who trade every day, or even every minute, that are very profitable. There are many ways to skin the cat, I'm just describing what works for me.

Thank you Nigel for your generous and prompt response.