Teenager in trouble ...

You have got fantastic advice from previous contributors. Just re-read them and apply them and you will do just fine.

I would not say about the share competition in your talking to any brokers or banks, say you have participated but don't try and tell them you are a great trader because you can do it on a virtual trading platform, they may get the hump.

If you can't get work experience then just knuckle down and get both the grades and life experience (don't just be a workaholic as people want to see you have a life outside of work).

Most importantly good luck mate, is good to see some youngsters have goals and are beating the stereotypes.

Get a degree from Oxford or Cambridge.

The sort of guys you want to work for get 80% of their staff from those 2. It is a fact.

I think by far the most important asset you have on your side is time.

Keep studying hard and learning about the industry, but try to turn yourself into a well-rounded individual as well. There are a lot of @rseholes in this industry (believe me, i know because I talk to them every day), and you'll need to be prepared not to let their arrogance, bile or desire to climb the greasy pole get you down.

Be your own man!

*JDR* said:
Get a degree from Oxford or Cambridge.

The sort of guys you want to work for get 80% of their staff from those 2. It is a fact.

Relatively few Oxbridge in my experience - LSE probably the most 'overweight' representation amongst new UK grads, but also most firms won't be recruiting solely from the UK - you'll be up against the top grads from Europe's best business schools and universities, so it helps if you are too. Most important though is that you have a 'hinterland'. Purely academic nerds who have been share-dealing since they were three are in less demand than equally talented intellects who played first team rugby and hockey and helped disabled kids trek through the Amazon or something. At the end of the day most City jobs involve clients and you'll need to show you can get on with people. When you're sifting through CV's and everyone has a first in maths from a red-brick university, its the other stuff that makes the difference between getting called in or not.

Jack o'Clubs said:
Purely academic nerds who have been share-dealing since they were three are in less demand than equally talented intellects who played first team rugby and hockey and helped disabled kids trek through the Amazon or something.

lol. this is very good advice

Good luck to you, sounds like you have a keen interest and aptitude potential early in life.

Keep learning and practicing, it doesnt need to be formal, i learnt to trade in my own time after i completed university, as i didnt pay an interest until later in life, learning this game is about practice and experience. there are too many over qualified heads out there preaching there knowledge but cant trade for sh*t.

sod working for anyone else, sure there are great experience's to be obtained, but with all this time still ahead of you, if your determined and persistant to succeed, you'll be like, why do i need to come work for you mister?

youll be financially independent

best wishes

Well I am not from a UK top university but a top Irish one (which actually doesnt really rank in comparison to Oxbridge etc) But I have had multiple offers at tier 1 I-Banks in london. I study economics & finance which is quite quantitative but not pure maths!

The reason why I got multiple offers is because (as far as I can see) I stood out due to my trading (with real money) and with that came initiative, decisiveness, enthusiasm etc

Your best bet in my opinion is to focus on maths as people said. If I was in your position and really wanted to be a trader I would try and get top marks all through your school, study economics and maths at Oxbridge, dont be a "nerd" and not have interpersonal skills, try and stand out with extra-cur activities ie set up a investment club, chair societies, captain of your golf, soccer, rugby team etc, DO set up your own real money account, and most of all enjoy yourself, dont ruin your unresponsible years!

I-Banks look for:
1) Teamwork
2) Leadership
3) Initiative
4) Motivation/enthusiasm
5) Quantitative skills
6) Problem solving
7) Activities outside of work/school
8) Humility
9) Poise
10) Someone who they like - can pass the airport test

Theres prob more......they've gone out of my head due to the weeks of interviews!! :confused: