My story (plus advice needed)

tommog

Hi,

Firstly I really dont want to sound like a bleeding heart story I'll try and keep this as professional as possible. But would really value the advice of some senior guys in the industry. And for those of you that are new will give you an insight into the career path youre pursuing.

Here is my story (i will keep it brief, and have been vague on some details for privacy reasons). I have never wanted to do anything else but work in the financial markets. I was trading my own accounts at 14.
My first job in the city was as an Inter Dealer Broker. I was broking deals between the likes of Cargill/Glencore/Bunge etc. I could have made a career for myself but trading is where I wanted to be.

So i began work as a trader. I was working on a market making desk (futures and some swaps) in the energy market markets. I was an assistant trader first, making sure trades were reconciled with the exchange, we were hedged properly (no erronous outrights left) etc. I then became a trader. I was generating about $100k a month for my desk by the time i left.

I pushed on and began managing my own fund, i only had $2million under management but the company I was working for planned to seed me and grow the fund. I was trading Fixed Income/Commodities and Equity Indicies (all futures). I made good returns in my opinion around 13% on average annually for 3 years with no drawdown (on day to day basis) of > 6%. Month on month basis was lower.

In the end the credit crunch struck, I had a couple of down months back to back (about 2% each) and the company decided my returns werent consistent enough to warrent supporting the fund as they couldnt raise beyond the $3million I had under management.

There are a couple of catches the major one being I dont have a degree. I was studying for an economics degree when I was hired as an inter dealer broker. For a 20 year old there was no option.. i was off to the city to make my fortune! Going back to Uni isnt an option, im 27, id be 30 years old in a mountain of debt at applying for jobs where my manager will be 25 and still no guarantee of a job.
Secondly I have never worked for a big Tier 1 company, always small trading houses so my returns havent been audited. It seems if I had a Phd in some completely unrelated subject ( i was researching a company yesterday when one of the chief traders had a Masters in History of Art) and had some experience doing an unrelated role in Goldmans but never traded a penny id be better off.

Im not looking for a flahsy fund manager job. Im looking to be a junior/assistant on an established desk. Even middle office, anything that keeps me in touch with trading. But after 300 CV's sent out not one sniff of a job. Am I completely wasting my time?

Thanks for listening to the rant

Have you approached all the prop houses / arcade / fund in London? 300 CVs sent out is a lot..

Have you exhausted the entire "designated market makers" list on the Euronext.liffe website?

Can you put capital down? if so roughly how much? maybe some firms like STA might back you? after all they are backing grads with no clue on trading at all...

Let me know how you get on... best of luck

how i envy you that you can trade your own account at 14.from what you said i believe that you are very talented an clever .there are always failure in our life and career.face them with confidence they can let you grow

Thank you for the messages guys and also the kind people that PM'd me. As for the trading arcades I have been that route, I have traded for them in the past and they are great when you are just getting into the industry and have had offers to go back but I am really looking to get into a company that pays a salary. Not for financial reasons as I could make more prop trading but being at a trading arcade really is a black mark against your CV. Which is why I am having to pitch myself for junior trading roles despite having some modest success trading prop.

I suppose im lucky in a way being 27 I can still reinvent myself, but i've know many a prop trading lose his edge aged 35+ and nobody will touch him and by that time has wife and kids to support.

Advice to any newbies getting into trading definately take advantage of an offer at a trading arcade it will be the most fun you'll ever have if you do well. But it is definately looked down upon amoung large trading desks for a number of reasons.