Teenager in trouble ...

sjohal2006

Well not literally...

Im 14, yes 14, Im competent in all subjects been learning alot about the stock exchange since xmas know a fair bit, been doing virtual portfolio's etc... started one last 2 weeks ago with 1k at £1600 at the moment, you get the gist..

I want to know the requirements to become a trader/analyst (Prefer analyst, very good at solving things etc) ...

Right, I eventually would like to earn as much money as possible/ (What is realistic?)

I want to earn 100k-250k really, thats ideal.

P.s. What SPECIFIC things should I learn? Thanks Im asking for degree type, a levels in choice etc...

Will I need to go to a top university? Such as LSE or Cambridge?

rub shoulders with the right people............attend seminars, trade shows etc. Making contacts is likely to be more important than which university you go to

Mathematics is the most sought after subject by investment banks etc, for obvious reasons, but there are many very clever mathematicians who still have little idea how markets operate

Good luck

100k-250k is nothing. I'm talking about liquid. Rich enough to have your own jet. Rich enough not to waste time. Fifty, a hundred million dollars, buddy. A player. Or nothing.

the difficulty you will have is the diversity of the industry.

there are different requirements to each strand. its not like being a doctor, lawyer, architect where the pathway is defined for those interested in that career.

this is deliberate. a gateway, but not an obstacle.

you will find your own way, as you know - you have already taken initiatives. follow your nose.

im talking about trading though - not analysis. that is quite straight forward i think - join a bank with a good degree.

others may know better.....

Some will disagree, but most analyst prep doesn't make one a better trader. Also, while having a PHD in stats/math will look good these days applying for most IBanks, remember the old maxim : It's not what you know, but who you know.

sjohal2006 said:
P.s. What SPECIFIC things should I learn? Thanks Im asking for degree type, a levels in choice etc...
Welcome young friend!
The question about the best route to follow to become successful at this business is quite often posed, especially regarding university courses and the like. I can think of several successful traders who, if asked about this, would steer you towards studying psychology. If you spend much time on these boards, you will find numerous references to demand and supply which underpins movement in market price. At the heart of this lies fear and greed. If you can get your head around what other market participants are feeling, then you may speculate more accurately about how they may (or may not) react to their emotions. Those who make trading decisions based upon their emotions tend to be the ones who lose. Conversely, professionals never allow their emotions to influence their trading. One trader I know monitors his heart rate while he's trading and, contrary to what you might expect, it slows right down. I've heard the same is true of F1 drivers and fighter pilots. So, there are two sides to the psychological coin: understanding others and what they might do so that you may profit from their actions and understanding yourself.

So, get yourself a double first at the LSE in business studies and economics and then do an M.A. in psychology and the world will be your oyster.
Good luck and well done in the comp' - much better than me!
;)
Tim.

I get the gist now you go get the tea ,2 sugars please....

Id start writing and get at least your work experience lined up... you might then be making tea for a couple of weeks "near" people on site who may advise you further....

Hi

Call the human resources department in some of the top banks in the city, explain your situation and Im sure they will spare 10 minutes to let you know what they look for both educationally and personally.

Cheers

YachtFund

At your age I'd make sure you get the best grades you can and keep reading as much as you can about the market - to be honest even if you just read the financial pages your probably already far ahead of the competition - well... what little competition for traders there is amoungst 14 year olds :cheesy: ! When you're a bit older try to get some decent work experience as that counts for loads and, as everybody else has said, contacts are very very important. As for subjects - all numerical subjects (maths, physics, economics and business studies) are to be recommended as well as I would say subjects like psychology.

I'd also say _don't_ bug the HR departments at banks. If you can't work out what they are looking for from their websites or from talking to people on these forums I promise you you won't be the sort of person they will want to hear from. (And I don't mean this harshly - just fact of life...) :cool:

sjohal2006 said:
(Prefer analyst, very good at solving things etc) ...

Well quants are all the rage so "google" whats involved to become a Financial Quantitative Analysis.

Check out http://www.wilmott.com/ to get a handle on things and maybe its a better place to get the answers your looking for..

Cheers.....

sjohal2006 said:
Well not literally...

Im 14, yes 14, Im competent in all subjects been learning alot about the stock exchange since xmas know a fair bit, been doing virtual portfolio's etc... started one last 2 weeks ago with 1k at £1600 at the moment, you get the gist..

I want to know the requirements to become a trader/analyst (Prefer analyst, very good at solving things etc) ...

Right, I eventually would like to earn as much money as possible/ (What is realistic?)

What a great age to be interested in the markets.

If I were in your position, I would focus heavily on developing mathematical ability, both high level, and basic arithmetic. Buy a book on speed arithmetic (look up Trachtenberg's speed system on Amazon). Master it. This will put you in a very good position for a great number of market making positions. There's an options house called Optiver - try to get hold of their application tests, as they will give you a good idea of how strong you need to be.

They give you around 100 simple arithmetic questions to complete in around 20 minutes or less. Score 1 for each correct answer, -1 for each wrong, 0 for omissions. Pass mark is 50 or 60. Sounds easy, but it ain't!

Work hard on theoretical mathematics and physics. Although things may change by the time you are ready to enter the work force, currently the best paying/fastest growing field is in quantitative analysis. The previous poster's suggestion of visiting wilmott.com is a very good one. You can get a lot of info there.

In any case, to get a fast track into an investment bank, you will have to go to a top university. I would advise doing a pure science like physics or mathematics. Work hard - a 2:1 is a minimum requirement, a first will make your life easier. Imperial and Warwick are respected in the sciences. LSE has a great name, but mainly for Economics and Law. Oxbridge grads are always in demand. You should also seriously consider an MSc, and if you want to become a quant, a PhD is essential.

When you do your A Levels, choose mathematical subjects. Also, study beyond the curriculum - at the minimum, see how you can cope with 1st year uni mathematics. I say this because I understand that A Level maths is not what it used to be, and trying to do first year maths, on top of enjoying the social aspects of university, will be very difficult without prior preparation.

You should also be comfortable programming. Get Mike Staunton's book on modelling in excel/VBA, it's a good book to give you most of the skills you'll need for Excel, and a basic intro to simple quant programming. Before you leave university, you should be competent in C++. Do some summer courses to get the skills, if it doesn't form part of your degree.

Sounds like a lot, but you have 6 years to get there :) Right now you should get the speed maths skills, so that they are instinctive by the time you are 16. You should also take your higher level maths knowledge to a better-than-GCSE standard now - have a serious chat with your maths teacher to find out how you can do that.

Once you're into an IB, you will learn all the relevant stuff about markets there. It's more important to have the basic building blocks and mathematical ability under your belt first, and enough knowledge about the industry to get through an interview.

I wouldn't bother with virtual portfolios, they give false confidence. If you really want to trade, do it for real with an amount you're prepared to lose. Run two books. For the first, use your analytical skills, for the second, toss a coin to decide whether to buy or sell. In each case, specify your exit (take profit/stops) before entering, and stick to them. Also, keep a diary of why you entered a trade for the first book, and the emotions you felt during the trade (both books). Compare the performance of each book. If nothing else, it will give you sonething to talk about in an interview. Comparative studies are always more interesting than listening to some guy talk about how he coulda/shoulda/woulda done xyz.

Hope that helps, and I wish you all the best in the future.

sjohal2006 said:

Check out:

www.efinancialcareers.com
and
www.cityjobs.com

find the sort of financial job you'd be interested in and see what qualifications are required for the role - . You've already had some great pointers from other members in this thread, if you're prepared to take the initiative, but as charliechan already said, the requirements and role for a quant are very different for a trader etc.

Find out what the differences between the jobs are and then decide what you'd like to learn in order to do it.

sjohal2006 said:

By the time you've done your A levels, a degree, and a masters or PhD, ten years or more will have passed. Chances are your preferences will have changed by then and also the nature of the jobs available in the financial world may well have changed substantially.

To give yourself the best possible chance of getting a good quant-type job, maths and programming are probably the things to concentrate on as they involve skills that must be built up over time. Further Maths at A level is probably near-essential. Do the maths special papers as well (do they still have those? - don't hear much about them these days). Also do the Cambridge STEP paper. For programming, keep up to date with the latest developments - if I were you I'd go for C# rather than C++. Become fully familiar and confident with object-oriented design - almost every maths, physics and economics graduate can program a bit but few are genuinely useful coders. Aim for Oxbridge as this is a huge advantage. Keep up your involvement and interest in the financial markets - turning up to your first job interview with ten years of experience and the knowledge to back it up could be quite an advantage. Relevant job experience during the summer holidays of your degree is a massive plus, if only to show that you can work in that sort of environment and get on well with the people there.

I'm currently a final year undergrad in Physics at Imperial and it seems as though there may as well be a muddy track between here and the city. I think something like 40% of our BSc physics grads go into IB. Personally, I decided against when I got to the process of actually meeting the people, investigating the firms and applying as it didn't fit with what I wanted to achieve personally, which came as a suprise as I always thought it would be something I wanted to go into.

But aiming for the best is always a good strategy and you can just adjust your trajectory and aspirations as you go along.

So a few things that I learnt in the process that will help you along:

-First you need to be at a top university, there is no exception to this. People won't give you the time of day unless you are. Top Tier: Oxford, Cambridge, Imperial, LSE. Outside of this it becomes more difficult- but places like Bristol, Warwick,Durham are looked upon favourably also.

-Know vaguely what you want to do and adjust accordingly. If you want to be a trader, then you need to look at doing maths, physics, chemistry or engineering. I-Banking I think prefers other subjects. It's not hard and fast, I know physics grads who've joined IB divisions, but knowing where your skills really lie is half the battle.

-Extra curricular activities rule. Don't be arrogant, studying a hard subject at a top tier uni is not a joke, EVERYONE has to work hard at some stage. And at 14 that might be hard to grasp when things come easily to you. The people who come in thinking they're geniuses tend to be the people who fall. This is why extra curricular stuff is important, because if you've got the time to be in the debating society, finance society, write for the student paper, be on the board of three start ups, run a mail order company, swim five miles a day, captain the uni football team AND be on track for a first then you're something special. And I've seen CVs that resemble that sort of thing.

-Get as much work experience as you can. A lot of people will tell you that this has to be in finance but having spoken to some people it does not. As long as what you're doing is expanding your skills and you can draw a parallel between these skills and ones that you may need in the bank then it's all gravy. Apparently some of the most impressive experience you can get is working for the Red Cross.

sjohal2006 said:
Well not literally...

You might also like to check out the securities institute site

http://www.securities-institute.org.uk/web5/infopool.nsf/HTML/mStudent-Membership?OpenDocument

Charlton

sjohal2006 said:
Well not literally...

jiust post your trades