swingin' the ftse

Status
Not open for further replies.
missed strike

In at cash 6404 short, Stop 25 but look to be out at BE to -12

Fishing with one indian, see how he goes a head of news and Wall st open :LOL:

Will remove double quick :LOL: dancing time :D

Andy

closed +1 before news, float bob er di bobed a couple of times but index holding, looking for quick + 15 before news

Update:

12 hr bar printed TD ish pin, yanks at R2 before the open, all looks very quiet :LOL: but for how long :?:

Andy

Last edited:
Update: EOD

Try again short cash @36 with 1 indian

again gone very quick, looking for pullback to R2 then top of open hour range 418 and will see

Stop in to 46 hard

head BE ish @ 15:21

Hard Gone -10 @15:32 :cry:

Update:

No joy today with the fishing will have to try another place further up stream next week :LOL:

Mood / stance moving towards neutral entering no mans land for me.

Will still enter short with a full 3 indians intra day if we get a narrow range day early next week and its low goes somewhere around 52 sma (days) @ :eek: there already 473 Rsi 5 on 72 on my chart

Week bars breached 52 sma @ 394 Rsi 5 :arrowu: above its centre @ 52
Month bars :eek: regained last months low @ 394 ish and above 12 sma

:eek: well just wrote it down and changed my mind = reduce indians and enter with care :cheesy:

Over to Tim P&f charts sure to show up before to long :LOL: :LOL:

Barjons dis O peared, wheres he to :?:

Andy AKA

Last edited:
Well it looks messy but we got our third bar today and a potential swing high. A short would signal at around 6270 with a stop loss around 6365 which is pretty uncomfortable.

good trading

jon

Nope, but an upward move getting pretty close to the last swing high at 6465 (swing trend will change to up if it goes). The end result is another potential swing high (albeit looking rocky) today which will signal an entry below 6334 with an even more uncomfortable stoploss around 6458.

No, I don't try to jump the gun, Andy, but do sometimes wait and enter via a lower time frame the day after a signal triggers intraday (I like to see momentum in the move that rings the bell not a staggering drunk who reaches up to ring it at his last gasp :) ) .

godd trading

jon

Last edited:
good trading Jon

Nope, but an upward move getting pretty close to the last swing high at 6465 (swing trend will change to up if it goes). The end result is another potential swing high (albeit looking rocky) today which will signal an entry below 6334 with an even more uncomfortable stoploss around 6332.

No, I don't try to jump the gun, Andy, but do sometimes wait and enter via a lower time frame the day after a signal triggers intraday (I like to see momentum in the move that rings the bell not a staggering drunk who reaches up to ring it at his last gasp :) ) .

good trading

jon

Jon

Showing your experience Jon, good trading

ar well you can"t put an old head on young shoulders, :eek:

Always like to try and get one of my indians behind enemy lines before the 1st bullets fired. :LOL: sort of an advance scouting party, see if I can cut the supply lines :LOL: :LOL:

Andy AKA

No p&f

Hey its getting late, this is"nt right

Where"s my P&F chart gone :?:

Don"t say Tim has blown his new platform up already :LOL: :LOL:

to busy messing about with all them new settings I guess :p

back to the old pen and paper then :cry:

Good weekend all

Andy AKA

Swing trade for the FTSE.

Short order in at 6475 if filled... I will add to the short at 6345....Target 6110 .

15 'X's Strong and Counting

Where"s my P&F chart gone :?:
Don"t say Tim has blown his new platform up already :LOL: :LOL:
Patience Andy, patience!;)

If you've ever wondered what the FTSE on speed looks like, then I think you may have witnessed it this week. The title refers to the ceiling of a column of 13 bloo 'X's that the index has failed to breach since May last year. It's now achieved that goal with some style, standing at 15 strong and counting. However, it's highly unlikely to go much higher. As can be seen from the chart attached, it's at a double top at 7450 and, just two squares higher at 7500 (horizontal bloo dotted line) there is a confluence of resistance in the form of the diagonal red bearish resistance line and a string of previous highs. I'm no expert on drug abuse, but my understanding is that the higher the highs, the lower the lows, so it will be interesting to see how severe the reversal is when it comes. For the time being though, the chart has now emphatically reverted to BULLISH mode, having taken out the high of the previous column of 10 bloo 'X's at 6300.
Tim.

Attachments

• FTSE_P&F_30_11_07.jpg
    FTSE_P&F_30_11_07.jpg
    224.6 KB · Views: 176
Lets see if that bell gets rung

Nope, but an upward move getting pretty close to the last swing high at 6465 (swing trend will change to up if it goes). The end result is another potential swing high (albeit looking rocky) today which will signal an entry below 6334 with an even more uncomfortable stoploss around 6458.

good trading

jon

Hi Jon

"I like to see momentum in the move that rings the bell not a staggering drunk who reaches up to ring it at his last"

Not much follow on today just a quick pull back from PDH/ last weeks High

1 Indian only on a quick raid today, managed to blow up one supply wagon :p home befor brunch, left Split on his lonesome fighting on 2 flanks :D

14-20 ma may offer support @ 260-290 ish if low goes, averages turned up for those interested.

No jumping gun tomorrow,:LOL:

I am in firmly in your camp Jon, will wait and see how that drunk does :arrowu: :arrowd: :confused:

Andy

Ring of Bell, did"nt here it myself ? but I am a bit deaf :)

Hi Jon

"I like to see momentum in the move that rings the bell not a staggering drunk who reaches up to ring it at his last"

Not much follow on today just a quick pull back from PDH/ last weeks High

1 Indian only on a quick raid today, managed to blow up one supply wagon :p home befor brunch, left Split on his lonesome fighting on 2 flanks :D

14-20 ma may offer support @ 260-290 ish if low goes, averages turned up for those interested.

No jumping gun tomorrow,:LOL:

I am in firmly in your camp Jon, will wait and see how that drunk does :arrowu: :arrowd: :confused:

Andy

Update:

No entry today

Not seen enough to convince me to open a short today

Gamble entry in the 1st 5 minutes would have been profitable granted and you could be sat right.

No follow through at all IMO.

Ftse spent most of the day inside open hour range

Slow decline if any = probable value entry for brave Longs IMO but will see

Andy

hey, andy, i thought you'd be up and running :)

that bell rang around 6377 or 6332 for those needing confirmation.

good trading

jon

Attachments

• ftseswing.JPG
    ftseswing.JPG
    62.1 KB · Views: 170
Up and watching Jon, thats all

Update:

No entry today

Not seen enough to convince me to open a short today

Gamble entry in the 1st 5 minutes would have been profitable granted and you could be sat right.

No follow through at all IMO.

Ftse spent most of the day inside open hour range

Slow decline if any = probable value entry for brave Longs IMO but will see

Andy

hey, andy, i thought you'd be up and running :)

that bell rang around 6377 or 6332 for those needing confirmation.

good trading

jon

Hi Jon

Up and watching, may miss move but I for one am not convinced, I think we could still see a small Santa rally to challenge old highs

I classed the last counter rally as 1st cont of trend even if it was a day short of the 3 days required Jon

News out today and how all indexs react to it will be interesting

If we do I for one will pass till swing trend days changes to :arrowu:

Rip me up later, not a prediction :LOL: :LOL: just not convinced of this move yet

Good trading all

Andy

Last edited:
dooooing:eek:

Anyone out at break even or better did well (I didn't :( ) - for everyone else the stoploss popped and it's a entry in the red column of the ledger. And it changes the swing trend to up, subject to confirmation.

good trading

jon

errrrrrrrrrr Little old me Jon

dooooing:eek:

Anyone out at break even or better did well (I didn't :( ) - for everyone else the stoploss popped and it's a entry in the red column of the ledger. And it changes the swing trend to up, subject to confirmation.

good trading

jon

errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr little old me Jon + 57pts day before signal swing in from PDH & last weeks high in line with the short term trend as per fridays attempted entries.:cry:

In anticipation of possible next day signal cont of trend

Closed out due to poor show at lower end of open hour range.

Signal given next day in opening 15 mins, open hour range held pretty much through out day so was pretty suspect IMO, I would have had a couple of intra day shorts if I had not been pretty busy but they would have amounted to 0 - + 15 pts only

Confirmation :?: I take it you mean Dow :?: or other index :?: Jon

I am a little more relaxed / flexible in 3 day rule Jon, guess its up to the individual trader, 3 days including a bottom narrow range "ish day compared to previous down bars gives me a possible swing high on 14th Nov @ 13387 which was breached today. Index last time I looked is sat on last weeks high.

I would not trade it at signal (a change of trend) but would enter 1st cont of trend if price action later suggests it is a valid swing high and signal given above.

good trading all

time for mid week p&f perhaps tim :p

Andy

I dunno about this swing trading lark. It seems very good on paper but, Oh, those stops!

There's no doubt that develbis got it right by going long but only because of a hunch of a Christmas rally.

The 5' chart saved my bacon, although I should have gone long in the morning but I was looking for a high so that I could short and fulfill my ambition to be a swing trader and holding overnight. At 1330 I, still had not got a short signal but it was touch and go. I decided to go to work and leave it for tomorrow.

So the signal I use prevented me from losing my stop money.

Hunch grrrrrrr errrrrr you on the pop again Split

I dunno about this swing trading lark. It seems very good on paper but, Oh, those stops!

There's no doubt that develbis got it right by going long but only because of a hunch of a Christmas rally.

The 5' chart saved my bacon, although I should have gone long in the morning but I was looking for a high so that I could short and fulfill my ambition to be a swing trader and holding overnight. At 1330 I, still had not got a short signal but it was touch and go. I decided to go to work and leave it for tomorrow.

Hi Split

No Long board for me Split sorry to say

Never go against the swing trend intra day NEVER EVER

He"s my Friend :LOL:

Read posts again please and the last one and stop bla bla ing them Split :cheesy:

My stops at day high / Low and week High / Low max stop 25 pts :confused: I am usually out for 10-15 pts if wrong. I don"t see problem, must be just me. Don"t ever go for that 80-100 pt stop business always enter on pull back intra day.

Hunch, :devilish: :devilish: :LOL:

not really = Low Vols on decline and index trading at normal Pivot points for last week or so. If a rout index just goes where its going and bl...dy quick in my experience

"A trending market has no support or resistance" same as a crash :LOL: :LOL:

If you have time to consider your entry its not crashing IMO I find you always feel you have missed the break if its a good move

last point you no for certain its crashing or tanking if Sb firms pull the plug :LOL: :LOL:

Hope that cleared the confusion up Split :?:

Bed time :D

Andy

IF you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you,
If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you,
But make allowance for their doubting too;
If you can wait and not be tired by waiting,
Or being lied about, don't deal in lies,
Or being hated, don't give way to hating,
And yet don't look too good, nor talk too wise:
If you can dream - and not make dreams your master;
If you can think - and not make thoughts your aim;
If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster
And treat those two impostors just the same;
If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken
Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,
Or watch the things you gave your life to, broken,
And stoop and build 'em up with worn-out tools:

If you can make one heap of all your winnings
And risk it on one turn of pitch-and-toss,
And lose, and start again at your beginnings
And never breathe a word about your loss;
If you can force your heart and nerve and sinew
To serve your turn long after they are gone,
And so hold on when there is nothing in you
Except the Will which says to them: 'Hold on!'

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
' Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch,
if neither foes nor loving friends can hurt you,
If all men count with you, but none too much;
If you can fill the unforgiving minute
With sixty seconds' worth of distance run,
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!

Rudyard Kipling

If only

IF you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you,
If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you,
But make allowance for their doubting too;
If you can wait and not be tired by waiting,
Or being lied about, don't deal in lies,
Or being hated, don't give way to hating,
And yet don't look too good, nor talk too wise:
If you can dream - and not make dreams your master;
If you can think - and not make thoughts your aim;
If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster
And treat those two impostors just the same;
If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken
Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,
Or watch the things you gave your life to, broken,
And stoop and build 'em up with worn-out tools:

If you can make one heap of all your winnings
And risk it on one turn of pitch-and-toss,
And lose, and start again at your beginnings
And never breathe a word about your loss;
If you can force your heart and nerve and sinew
To serve your turn long after they are gone,
And so hold on when there is nothing in you
Except the Will which says to them: 'Hold on!'

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
' Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch,
if neither foes nor loving friends can hurt you,
If all men count with you, but none too much;
If you can fill the unforgiving minute
With sixty seconds' worth of distance run,
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!

Rudyard Kipling

Hi Split

Great post Split

:D

IF only :LOL:

Andy

mornin' split,

Yeah, fun isn't it? (Old Kippers got it right with his poem :LOL: )

On the basis that you should put your money where your mouth is I've mostly traded what I've talked about on the thread and we're well ahead overall.

I've been trying to go through simple swing trading without confusing matters by any associated conditions which might be used in trading the swings. For example, you may recall on the fib thread that I said that reactions up to 50% were significantly the most successful. In this latest case the reaction was very near 100% and if I'd been trading it on my main account that would have meant "no trade" or a severely reduced position if I had taken it.

good trading

jon

Status
Not open for further replies.