swingin' the ftse: 2009

Is this rally end-of-year window dressing? We've seen it before, where the institutional players drive the price high to the end of December or first week in January, improving their end-of-year performance. The FTSE100 is suspiciously defying gravity, but 250 and the Banks sector chart (still the biggest sector by weighting) gave up the fight long ago.

I'm taking it all day by day. I suppose that everything will start again on Jan 3rd. I may pick up a few shares before the New Year, on an investment basis, if I see them at a favourable price with respect to fundamentals, but I'm not starting to trade again until the 3rd.

The thing abut Footsie is that the lowest get demoted, making way for new capital. I suppose that this is helping Footsie stay up.

Merry Christmas.

Split

Happy Christmas & New Year

Is this rally end-of-year window dressing? We've seen it before, where the institutional players drive the price high to the end of December or first week in January, improving their end-of-year performance. The FTSE100 is suspiciously defying gravity, but 250 and the Banks sector chart (still the biggest sector by weighting) gave up the fight long ago.

I'm taking it all day by day. I suppose that everything will start again on Jan 3rd. I may pick up a few shares before the New Year, on an investment basis, if I see them at a favourable price with respect to fundamentals, but I'm not starting to trade again until the 3rd.

The thing abut Footsie is that the lowest get demoted, making way for new capital. I suppose that this is helping Footsie stay up.

Merry Christmas.

Split

Happy Christmas guys and gals

May your swings prosper in 2010

All the best

jon

Happy Christmas & New Year :clover:

fun and games on the run up as per :)

Dax dropping a hint or ....... a level to watch perhaps in the new year

"The thing about Footsie is that the lowest get demoted, making way for new capital"

good point Split as per .... :smart:

some pointless charts to pad the post out a bit ... with a arbitrarily drawn trend line to keep Split happy :)

have a good one everyone :party::drunk::cheers:

Attachments

• The three musketeers.jpg
    The three musketeers.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 239
  • Dax EOY.bmp
    1.4 MB · Views: 198
  • Ftse EOY.bmp
    1.4 MB · Views: 209
Last edited:
I should imagine we're nearly all in cash as far as the FTSE is concerned - we're in holiday trading mode and the index is ranging, not trending. But where will people be getting back in? The upside seems more likely, as we have already today breached the recent range ceiling: perhaps a three-day pullback to a new swing low well above 5200 might be a decent base in anticiaption of further break-out? Long trade from here seems very speculative though, and a close above the range ceiling would be prudent confirmation signal.

And,
Why don't TA packages have drawing tools so you can plot your own price data into the future? And run the projected OHLC data through the indicators so that MAs, RSI etc. plot ahead of today's date?

British Bulls Weekly
www.britishbulls.com
Found this by accident. They issue daily and weekly trading signals on the FTSE100, major indices, UK shares etc. Signals seem to be generated purely from daily candlestick pattern recognition, not moderated for trend or any indicators.

While I like the objective approach, suggesting trades on such a narrow view of the market is too risky and they seem to never set stop-losses. Some entry points that I have seen were also clearly outside the day's price range so not actually available to a market participant - skewing their performance record.

An early Happy New Year to all FTSE swingers.

Especially to Jon for the good work on this thread.

Jon - Will we be able to look forward to a 2009 swingin' thread?