Swingin' the ftse 2010

Given that I don’t have a real time data feed so tend to relay on the FT newspaper for highs and lows, can anyone tell me what the low printed today on the FTSE was? I’m seeing it at about 5188 (based on IG daily quote) and excluding the first 3 mins of trading. Most websites show the low as yesterday's close.

1045 Shorted 5223.3. Trying to find a high for the morning. It will probably be taken out, but if it isn't and it goes down to my average, then Ihat could enable me to trade overnight.

Only did 23 points today first 20 at market open and got out of a nasty retrace for 3 points.

Bonkers price action today - gap up at open but price can't make a concerted move up or down. Is everyone on holiday?

Shooting star pattern means little as its in the middle of a downswing.

There seems no shortage of market indecision.

Bonkers price action today - gap up at open but price can't make a concerted move up or down. Is everyone on holiday?

Shooting star pattern means little as its in the middle of a downswing.

There seems no shortage of market indecision.

I was right about the downtrend, wasn't I? Unfortunately, my stop was too close so I ended up with a small loss. I'm not very happy about that but :whistle:whistling

I am shorting this rally from 5267: we've got potential overhead resistance from previous swing high, intra-day double top and dark cloud cover on the S&P. I hate taking positions without a nicely compartmentalised pattern but this has to be worth the risk.

I am shorting this rally from 5267: we've got potential overhead resistance from previous swing high, intra-day double top and dark cloud cover on the S&P. I hate taking positions without a nicely compartmentalised pattern but this has to be worth the risk.

hmmm......not sure Tom. Looks like we are going to get a (50x3 close) P&F buy signal today and are about 20 points above a swing chart buy too. Could be a small buy, scaling in to full postion size if the US confirms.

Last edited:
All quiet on here for a week.....:cheesy:

Are we all still long or thinking about taking profits as we near the 13 May high (which is also a 61.8% Apr high to July low fibby thingy for those that indulge in 13th Century Pisan wizardry :jester:)?

We're at an interesting point right now. Putative swing low yesterday is significantly higher than the last two. Last swing high was higher than the previous. FTSE indicators are not heavily overbought. Yesterday's price fall, though hefty, was only achieved on a very low volume base. MAs are uncrossing into a positive line-up. There is no distinct long-term trend. The S&P made a hammer bottoming pattern. We could be looking at a rally next week.

My chart shows a declining market from 28th. I have been shorting since then. However, not with a great deal of success as I have been stopped in the early afternoon. I have to be more generous with my stop distance but I don't find it easy. So far, I would have been better off simply trading in the mornings.

Attachments

• July 30 FT 4H.JPG
    July 30 FT 4H.JPG
    80.6 KB · Views: 174
I regard the FTSE am session as the true FTSE session - after lunch we're effectively trading the US market through a proxy. I can't profit from this though as I have an office job.

I regard the FTSE am session as the true FTSE session - after lunch we're effectively trading the US market through a proxy. I can't profit from this though as I have an office job.

I'm hoping to in August since we are not going away this year.

No benefit gained from trading the UStech,yesterday, instead of the FT. Maybe the FT is a clone in the afternoon, but does it matter?

I had a good USTech entry 1881, selling near the top at 1901 +20 points. Over the same period FT would have given me would have given me +36, although, using the proportion iof 2.6 points to 1I would have made more by increasing bet size.

Was I right in closing the trade instead of carrying overnight? I think not, but it is still my aim to trade for days instead of hours.

Sorry if the thread is slightly OT, I was making a comparison but I think I'll stay with FT all day, today.

Last edited:
First long entry - after swing trend change to up - occurred yesterday, or via today's - maybe - action if you're more cautious.

good trading

jon

Attachments

• FTSE 100  .png
    FTSE 100 .png
    8.6 KB · Views: 175
Jon - I reckon the trend changed to up on 22/7 with a breach of the high from 14 July and yesterday was a repeat buy. Is that what you are saying? Or are you saying that yesterday was the first buy and a change of trend - your chart is looking at the high of June 21.

Attachments

• FTSE 100.bmp
    1.4 MB · Views: 148
Last edited:
mrG

I see the last swing high in the downtrend as the 21/6 high which signalled the short to new lows for the move. The swing trend wouldn't change to up until that high was taken out - ie: where I put the blue up arrow.

What occurred yesterday was the first long signal after that change of trend. Sorry for the confused way I put it - I've edited a bit to make it clear (I hope)

good trading

jon

Yesterday (Aug 2), China reported bad manufacturing PMI numbers..i have seen on June 1 and July 1 when the bad manufacturing numbers came out from china, FTSE was down 2% and 1.65% respectively in the morning sesison.

Now yesterday FTSE shrugged off china bad numbers and instead focussed on great BNP Paribas results which were reported before market opening and FTSE shot up right from start.

So, here is my question-

Which companies results make or break FTSE? Any idea?