Swingin' the ftse 2010

has anybody taken the short at the open of today ( Mon the 5th July)to fill in the gap?

Hi 2be - I was short already from last week but surely the gap at today's open closed within minutes?

I am looking to add to the short I have but awaiting the US return tomorrow. Today's TA has little meaning without New York's vote.

he 4H was well and truly broken this morning and I shall be looking to enter long when index drops to lesser averages. By that time it could be that they will be above the main one, which will signal a trend turn for me.

Attachments

• FT2.JPG
    FT2.JPG
    79.8 KB · Views: 161
Is this the confirmation some of you long term investors were looking for? Just feels right despite the DOW breaking down and giving up half its gains it just another opp for me to add.

Last edited:
Can't see an uptrend yet: looking for etablished bridgehead north of 200EMA and 5330 before I can believe in the bulls.

If my 4 hour chart is to have any validity, then a new trend has started. We shall see!

The latest bars from the top have pulled back, but not far enough, yet. I am expecting more downside, or sideways movement today.

Yes Split, market's hunting for direction.

Interestingly the S&P made an almost perfect doji last night for those who put stock in such patterns: Open and Close were identical, located at the 40% level on the day's range. A clear sign of an equal tug-of-war between bulls and bears.

Well its early was just checking the Australian and Japanese markets for any signs but they're both sitting on their hands. After a huge bull run yesterday you'd expect a pullback of sorts but all I can say is if the market doesn't do what we expect and flatlines for a while then I certainly won't be selling my long position. The DOW was very strong right up until close. New highs were set minutes before the close which indicates the strength of that run.

Best not to have any pre conceived ideas of market direction right now will wait until about an hour or so after the UK open to review my position.

Yes Mr Flibble - uptrend or not, buyers are controlling the market. I'm in cash again now (Grrrr!) waiting for a new short entry point but too soon to short.

The market could come back as much as 60 points and still be in an uptrend, so I am taking profits at this point.

I can see that I made a mistake in taking profits this morning. I must not get too carried away with overbought signals! It would have been more profitable to put a stop under my current level and risk that, instead of looking to enter long at a lower level.

I had such a good run and traded overnight for the first time in a very long time that I did not want to risk any of my profit---and simply closed out.

Of course, if it had gone down and then reversed, I would be crowing, wouldn't I? All hindsight, really. Very difficult to plan for the best.

Last edited:
Good review Split.
Exits are the hard part in this game - seems any approach can just as easily be wrong.

Well played Split :clap: I,m still waiting to go short,looks as if i,m going to have to wait a little longer,

Well played Split :clap: I,m still waiting to go short,looks as if i,m going to have to wait a little longer,

Today it was not well played at all, I'm afraid, and all because I closed because I was afraid to lose a few points on a stop risk. I'm kicking myself!

My chart is in an uptrend but I have not decided how I am going to get into it, tomorrow.

IMO If anyone shorts it would be against the current trend but, that said, the index could go down over 100 points and still be in an uptrend

If you guys are not following my very simple trend following system.....

:)

You should be!

Overnight bar readings do not seem to influence the trend reading and I have managed on one trade, still open, since 9th.

Correction: it is not MY very simple system. It must have been invented decades ago.

split

Glad you've finally got into the overnight game :D

Keep your eye on DOW after ftse hours - you can always hedge with a reverse DOW bet if your position begins to look a bit rocky.

good trading

jon

split

Glad you've finally got into the overnight game :D

Keep your eye on DOW after ftse hours - you can always hedge with a reverse DOW bet if your position begins to look a bit rocky.

good trading

jon

Thanks, will do.

I've gone into the overnight game, as you call it, because of "getting on a bit". The adrenaline rush of low TF trading is not good for the tubes! :)

I've stop going long on the FTSE and will look to reverse my position probably today. I shorted the DOW just before close but time will tell if it was the right choice. Today will be interesting, Intel posted some pretty amazing Quarterly results. I wonder how the FTSE will respond? Again looking for the FTSE to make the first move and the DOW to follow. Stops are fairly tight but I'm looking to hold a short position over a number of days. If I get blown out today I will keep trying and make small losses to try to catch the next bear run. Thoughts?

Also I'd like to ask some of the more experienced chaps here the following.

If I'm wrong and we go higher than the last high of the 21st June we would have a situation, on a daily chart, of a higher high and a lower low. What does this normally point to?

Last edited: