So who has the most trading knowledge?

Faris

Hi Everyone.

Im looking for good TA books for an intermediate trader.
Iv already recommended books "encyclopedia of charts" and "Japanese candlesticks".
Im trying to find anything which explains strategies on buying dips and selling rallies on multiple time frames.
Never knew it was so much hard work trying to explain strategies to other people.

Much appreciated
Faris..

Trader Vic (Victor Sperandeo)

Though I can not do what he does, I thought he explained trading, charts, trends etc very well in his book. My own style is multi-week-month trades.

Faris said:
Hi Everyone.

Im looking for good TA books for an intermediate trader.
Iv already recommended books "encyclopedia of charts" and "Japanese candlesticks".
Im trying to find anything which explains strategies on buying dips and selling rallies on multiple time frames.
Never knew it was so much hard work trying to explain strategies to other people.

Much appreciated
Faris..

Thanks for your reply Mr Cassandra

I will have a look at his book now and see what he has to offer.

Faris.

Faris

Have you taken a look at the pristine series of CDs. They explain around 116 strategies for US stocks over various time frames. I use some variations for futures and swing trading with good results. They've been mentioned a few times on these boards.............good & bad I might add.....depends if it's your cup of tea.

Let me know if you need anymore info.

C

Hello C

Iv had a look at the pristine series of CD's. I must say they do look good, but i dont think it would be wise for me to the purchase the CD's as i feel that there would be to much info there for my colleague to digest.
Im trying to teach him only basic TA and not to fill his head with anything that will cloud his judgement.
Im finding it difficult for him to understand to buy dips and sell rallies and was hoping for a good book or course that would make him understand or guide him.

I appreciate the suggestion.

Faris.

Can anyone else help?

Iv looked at many books and course's, but can't seem to find anything that contains something as simple as buying dips and selling rallies.

Happy Trading
Faris..

all TA/ trading books are written by people who studied TA but could not make money trading - so decided to rehash the same old elementary TA stuff into yet another book - and make money that way - same as trading trainers - so forget books and just watch markets day in day out for a year and then maybe you will be in with a chance of making money trading - or perhaps at least you can write a book or become a trading trainer

Hello Steve

I understand the point you are making and i completely agree with you otherwise i would probably have found what im looking for.
As i said from my previous posts was that im trying to teach a fellow friend of mine the way i like to trade, but he his finding some difficulty grasping the concept of buying dips and selling rallies. So i thought maybe he needed to look at a different perspective of basic TA which he might find in a decent book or course.

Faris..

Would the same apply to teachers in our colleges?

Your observation caused me to wonder.

stevet said:
all TA/ trading books are written by people who studied TA but could not make money trading - so decided to rehash the same old elementary TA stuff into yet another book - and make money that way - same as trading trainers - so forget books and just watch markets day in day out for a year and then maybe you will be in with a chance of making money trading - or perhaps at least you can write a book or become a trading trainer

Faris

trading is not about just knowing what to do - its about having done it for a period of time so that you know it works - and thats the catch 22 of trading - it still takes years of being succesful day in day out in order to become confident in what they do and raise their game play - so telling someone what to do for a day or a week or a month is not gonna work - but let them do it successfully for a year or two and they will be on the first rung or the ladder

mr_cassandra

yes - since hands on learning is what counts in life - not - just being told - and then hands on for at least a year or two

but then i look at the result of the learning - not just the learning - so there is a difference in being taught how to write - and to being taught how to make money from being able to write - a difference between not eating, eating, and eating real well!

so - sure there might be someone who has been successful in their field and who has made a mint and decided in their old age to hang out with young kids in a college - and maybe if that person takes someone out of the college and under their wing - then there is a chance

but in general - teachers in colleges are just treading water each day to pickup the pay cheque and/or using the facilities of the college for their own needs - the kids come far down the line

p.s. having said that - i can't help feeling there is some maths genius teaching in a college somewhere - who if directed by a trader - could not then combine their talents to make a mint

Last edited:
Im down with the hands on learning stuff. I find i can read books that tell me that i shouldn't do this or that. But i need to experience the mistake myself in my trading for it to really hit home. When i made all the mistakes possible in my own trading and experienced them for myself i then found myself becoming more consistent.

What I do is very distant from 'trading' per se

But I can tell you that in my four years of programming work on the method I use to time trades, I've been stunned at how many armchair quasi-guru's step forward with the hows and why's of 'it can't be done' but when you you grill them a bit, you come to find they've done little or no work of their own.

stevet said:
mr_cassandra

yes - since hands on learning is what counts in life - not - just being told - and then hands on for at least a year or two

but then i look at the result of the learning - not just the learning - so there is a difference in being taught how to write - and to being taught how to make money from being able to write - a difference between not eating, eating, and eating real well!

so - sure there might be someone who has been successful in their field and who has made a mint and decided in their old age to hang out with young kids in a college - and maybe if that person takes someone out of the college and under their wing - then there is a chance

but in general - teachers in colleges are just treading water each day to pickup the pay cheque and/or using the facilities of the college for their own needs - the kids come far down the line

p.s. having said that - i can't help feeling there is some maths genius teaching in a college somewhere - who if directed by a trader - could not then combine their talents to make a mint

Please reccomend to me

Hi guys Been reading your posts and kicking around the forex for a while.
With fair results.
I want to start building a library. So if you were a complete novice to the forex which two books would you buy first.?

Exactly!! Very well said

Books on TA should be treated as nothing more than a foundation course... What happens in practice and what they show in the books rarely matches. Spot the difference and you have the edge, That, unfortunately takes a long time.Which eminds me, time I wrote a book on the Dow...

There is one book that I consider a absolute must read: the bible (J Murphy A Technical Analysis of the Financial Markets).

It isnt specific to the strategy you describe, but it does include everything a beginner should know.

FWIW,

Gary Smith's book - How I trade for a living is excellent and details his strategies. At least with this one, you know that he's doing what we all want to do - trade for a living. That much alone should make this book stand head and shoulders above the rest.

I've looked at many books and course's, but can't seem to find anything that contains something as simple as buying dips and selling rallies.

What is there to know? you can learn more than you need about that on here and probably in other forums.

Keep it simple and disciplined, that is about the best advice.

Encyclopedia of Chart Patterns

Try Encyclopedia of Chart Patterns by Thomas Bulkowski.

The thumbnails are useful as a quick reference to the chart pattern

He also tabulates identification characteristics of each chart and probabilities of success. It's all about minimising the risk.

Apparently, he also trades full time, having given up his day job.

Make sure you have a solid bookcase, though. The book is 672 pages long!

BOL