Smart Live Markets - Spread Bet on MT4

I think this thread is a live and healthy thread. A lot of traders post their experience, good and bad. This is perfect for SLM, they know what to improve in order to be competitive. Take CMC next-gen thread, it is the opposite, not many live traders posting their live experience trading with them. I think SLM should use this thread in a positive way to improve their service, not by being defensive, and blaming their competitors for giving them bad reviews.

i have been using SLM now trading tiny lots and have traded for 2 days, my feedback is that i havent had a single requote and since i use another system with DMA, the price correlates well.

thats just 2 days worth of feedback but hey....my 2 pence lol(or 2 pips)

The only way you can get the price you want with SLM is with pending orders, going in or out 'at market' always gets requoted or slipped.
The one thing that i wish MT4 would do, is just take buy or sell orders, regardless of whether its a buy stop or buy limit, it really slows things down having to change order type, especially when price is around where you want to enter and cant get the order on because price moves to a point where the order type needs to be changed.
If price IS where i want to get in, then just enter 'at market' i hear you say...... dont be bloody silly, its MT4! lol

who do you suggest for MT4 EA's Black Swan?

IBFX seems to be one flavour on FF

I guess Oanda/Alpari is best of the rest?

I received a press release recently regarding how to measure whether or not a firm is true ECN, I might post it up and gather thoughts, it was quite provoking tbh...Simply gives a test which if the firm stacks up to they're true ECN, if not they're not..

Jason, would you ever leave fifty grand with them or bet twenty quid a pip? No..So why bother at all?

Please tell us what you are trading and what kind of orders? Otherwise it is hard to form an opinion of your post. Some seems to get good execution, while others don't, my question is why?

No disrespect intended to anyone on this thread but IMHO they want pocket money traders who won't 'kick off' much when it goes tits up..

I use IG for my more serious trading and I am using SLM for trying out new strategy ideas and basically giving me something to do while waiting for my set ups. It stops me from over trading through boredom. I sometimes use this account to quench my thirst to gamble (so I just could not use a demo account for these purposes). The funny thing is that I have only ever had one loosing day on SLM. I find it very easy to profit with them. This could well be because I have no pressure on this account.

Would I load up £50k in the account? I don’t know. Maybe gradually over a long period of time, as confidence grew with them.

I am trading currencies and commodities with them.
I nearly always enter pending orders, so I always get the price I want. This also slows me down to make more thoughtful decisions. On the occasions I enter at market on 5/15m t/f if the market is moving fast I could sometimes get a re quote but not often. If this happens and I still want in, I just click for a 2pip max deviation on entry price, job done. If I ever do this it is because the market is moving fast in my direction so it is no skin of my nose, in fact I look at it as an indicator!

Good points- Quick loading of charts, quick loading of different chart templates, multiple accounts, can use record keeping stuff like myfxbook, lots of indicators freely available, Good place to practice with small size, Excellent range of FX, Very good spreads on exotics.

Bad points – Not enough commodities, money markets, ETF and indices are covered.

In summery – I really like them, slightly untested with size though. At the moment I think the largest size I have had with them is £2 a pip. If my confidence grows with them I may start using them for bigger and bigger sizes.

Last edited:
I use IG for my more serious trading and I am using SLM for trying out new strategy ideas and basically giving me something to do while waiting for my set ups. It stops me from over trading through boredom. I sometimes use this account to quench my thirst to gamble (so I just could not use a demo account for these purposes). The funny thing is that I have only ever had one loosing day on SLM. I find it very easy to profit with them. This could well be because I have no pressure on this account.

Would I load up £50k in the account? I don’t know. Maybe gradually over a long period of time, as confidence grew with them.

I am trading currencies and commodities with them.
I nearly always enter pending orders, so I always get the price I want. This also slows me down to make more thoughtful decisions. On the occasions I enter at market on 5/15m t/f if the market is moving fast I could sometimes get a re quote but not often. If this happens and I still want in, I just click for a 2pip max deviation on entry price, job done. If I ever do this it is because the market is moving fast in my direction so it is no skin of my nose, in fact I look at it as an indicator!

Good points- Quick loading of charts, quick loading of different chart templates, multiple accounts, can use record keeping stuff like myfxbook, lots of indicators freely available, Good place to practice with small size, Excellent range of FX, Very good spreads on exotics.

Bad points – Not enough commodities, money markets, ETF and indices are covered.

In summery – I really like them, slightly untested with size though. At the moment I think the largest size I have had with them is £2 a pip. If my confidence grows with them I may start using them for bigger and bigger sizes.
Thank you Jason, pending orders, yes that explain why you don't get any re-quotes.

Isn't selecting a max deviation almost an invitation to get a worse price?
Not necessary, if the market isn't volatile you probably get a better price. However if the market is volatile you have to take the price in line of the setup of the internal deviation (which is not enough in my opinion).

I received a press release recently regarding how to measure whether or not a firm is true ECN, I might post it up and gather thoughts, it was quite provoking tbh...Simply gives a test which if the firm stacks up to they're true ECN, if not they're not..

I would certainly be interested in reading that press release if you do decide post it up.

The only way you can get the price you want with SLM is with pending orders, going in or out 'at market' always gets requoted or slipped.
The one thing that i wish MT4 would do, is just take buy or sell orders, regardless of whether its a buy stop or buy limit, it really slows things down having to change order type, especially when price is around where you want to enter and cant get the order on because price moves to a point where the order type needs to be changed.
If price IS where i want to get in, then just enter 'at market' i hear you say...... dont be bloody silly, its MT4! lol

The MT4 order ticket really sucks. It just takes too long and values can reset themselves. For example if you right click on the chart then select New Order it takes ages to get it correct. If you dont click EXACTLY in the right place then modify the price field before changing the lots the price field resets to what you clicked at. If price is anywhere near the entry you want you can just forget it. You may as well just enter at market and suffer the slipage.

Hi Mata,

I might have a go at an EA for something similar this week. All my orders entries are done by a script that will loop until the order is placed. It obviously writes to the journal if it gets invalid price or requote and then writes the price and time the order is placed at. If i put an EA on the chart that logs tick (time and price) it should be a simple case of comparing the journal to the EA output to see what direction price was moving in when the order gets filled or when it doesnt.

Thing is i already run an EA on all the charts for stop management so doing this might be a bit of a ball ache (unless i put the logging code in the stop management EA).

I just happened by after a few month's absence, and it seems as though the same old people are still here complaining about the same old things. Doesn't anyone have anything better to do?

As far as I can see the EA you mention hasn't emerged as yet. As luck would have it I already have an EA available that logs MT4 ticks into a CSV file. Please let me know if anyone's interested in gathering a few facts instead of nattering on ad infinitum about nothing in particular.

Cheers,

Jim

Looks like we'll have to rename this thread.

Yes, I received this earlier today.
"Dear Client,
I am writing to inform you that Smart Live Financial Services Ltd will be changing its name in the coming weeks to GKFX Financial Services Ltd.
Our FSA and companies house registration numbers will remain the same.

The reason for this change is cosmetic.
As we have grown globally as a company it has been apparent that some people have been confused by our name, so we have chosen a more generic name which as a brand going forward will be far more easily recognised throughout the world.

We will also be rebranding our logo and website along with this change. But apart from that you will not notice any changes.

Your account with us will automatically change to an account with GKFX Financial Services Ltd with the same terms of business.

We anticipate this change will happen on September 5th 2011.

If you have any questions then please do get in touch with our customer services desk at [email protected].

Regards
SLM" :eek:

"Dear Client,
I am writing to inform you that Smart Live Financial Services Ltd will be changing its name in the coming weeks to GKFX Financial Services Ltd.

The name immediately gave me a negative vibe, and then I realised why. Sounds like:

http://ftalphaville.ft.com/blog/2009/02/12/52403/dear-clients-of-gfx-please-accept-this-apology-for-the-way-this-message-is-being-conveyed-locked/

City of London Police’s Economic Crime Department has begun an investigation into GFX Capital Markets Ltd. On Monday 9th Feb 2009 a 60-year-old male was arrested in connection with this enquiry, which is still ongoing.

Been using these for 2 months plus, no problems. Had a 2 week break from trading and came back Tuesday this week. I only use instant executions and have had re quotes every day, some days i couldn't even enter trades at all it was that bad.

Time to move on.

Feed/connection is coming and going quite a lot for me this morning. Anyone else?

Will our password for withdrawing money through the smartlive website and stuff stay the same??

Hi Kyoto,

The name immediately gave me a negative vibe, and then I realised why.

Apparently a new name was necessary because "Smart Live" has negative connotations with the gaming industry if you're in the Middle East. Perhaps they've never heard of GFX Capital in Dubai?

Cheers,

Jim