Skim, what do you think of this?

Skim - I think you have illustrated that "tape reading" is an art form and not a science. Maybe female intuition gives you that extra edge. I understand the dilemma as I have experimented with a stop at the breach of various bars/candles.

You're quite right - it is an art not a science, and us girls are supposedly more intuitive about things like that. Trading like that just cannot be mechanised into a system; if it could, it would have been done so many years ago, but it can't. That's why, IMO, you will always be better trading an intuitive system rather than a mechanical, but I do appreciate that it is very hard to do.

I had the luxury of being taught in real time, and it's only in real time that you see the little nuances play out. You cannot see them on a historical chart. Therefore you have to sit for hour after hour, week after week, looking at real time charts. Very few people have the patience and discipline to do that.

Skim,
May I be nosy and ask who taught you, when and which markets etc.? Bye the bye, I can't get this bizarre image out of my mind of you sitting before a bank of monitors doing your knitting; very surreal!
Cheers,
Tim.

I was taught on ES, but the skills are applicable to any highly liquid market with a little effort in familiarisation of that particular market, its trends/swings and characteristics. It can be applied to individual stocks, although that's not something I've done yet because I find ES still satisfies me. When I get bored with it, I may have a dabble elsewhere.

I've had two mentors - and spent about six months with each. One was not really my style, and although I thought that at the outset I kept with it day after day until I was 100% sure that it was never going to be my 'thing'. The other I knew was going to fit me like a glove after about 10 minutes. I just clicked with what I was being shown; it was just like love at first sight.

However, I've looked at virtually everything in trading and always tried to keep an open mind. I knew it was out there, I just needed to carry on until I found it. If I'd found it at the outset, I would probably not have realised the value of it.

I've always known that I felt drawn to bars and patterns rather than indicators, and I have a very good visual memory - as a child I used to be able to beat anyone at visual recognition card games. So when I see a few bars on a chart I can 'read' them, probably from memory having seen similar groups of bars hundreds of times before.

Actually, if I'm honest, Chris Manning taught the majority of what I now use - the most useful (to me) of which he gave away at the freebie seminars he ran. But, again, I didn't realise the value of what I was being shown, along with probably 99% of everyone else in the audience. Only experience taught me that.

When I'm trading I'm often listening to Radio 4 (it's actually very interesting) and knitting at the same time, or if R4 is boring then I read a book. But I prefer to keep a book for a boring sideways market as otherwise I get too engrossed in the book, and forget to look up at the bars.

And I've just had to put my knitting down to type this! :cheesy:

I have removed the candlesticks, the macd, the bolinger bands and the stochs but I still cling to the 100ema. Perhaps one day I will go all the way!

Skim,

Interesting your comments on most of your learning coming from Chris Manning because, from what I am told, Mr Winters effectively copied his approach but not very effectively from all accounts.

Paul

I had the pleasure of going to one Winters freebee seminars and they have not left me alone since.

Do Mr Winters or Mr VS ever view this web site. They would be horrified if they did. LOL.

Not quite right ... most of my learning didn't come from Manning, but most of what I now use he covered on his courses (along with 90% of which I don't use, and have never used).

About a year ago I looked back and in my hand-written notes are all these wonderful statements about bars, waves, swings, etc. But it took someone else to point to these statements, and tell me to ignore and forget absolutely everything else I had learned. That, I found, was immensely difficult - and when I do make mistakes now it is always because I allow my previous knowledge to creep back and interfere. And it is soooo annoying!

Interesting point about Manning. I found 95% useless. The three things I have found most memorable- TA works in all time frames, history repaeats itself and NEVER believe what I tell you, prove it for yourself.

Skim,
Thanks for such a swift reply. I have a formal art training and, like you, I enjoy looking at patterns and have a good visual memory. I have ditched all the indicators and now just use a 5 min candle chart with 10 and 100 ema's respectively. Also, you'll be pleased to know, I have a volume chart although, in spite of your best efforts, I really struggle to relate the price action to the volume. However, I shall stick with it in the hope that one day the penny will suddenly drop! Is Chris Manning still running courses do you know? If so, any details would be appreciated. Thanks for your help.
Tim.

right, so it's just theory at the moment , that answers my question . no need for the rest , it's irrelevant .

whether you want to post or not is YOUR decision , nothing to do with me . please do not hint that it is .

intuition is called gut feel on the street , everyone has it man or woman , one of those sexist issues that never seemed to have been addressed - that women suppossedly have more of it than men.

mma

I just tried to send you a private message but it did not get through I think.

Anyway, here it is.

Hi mma

I think I have already typed this out once but when I checked, I could not see that it was sent so you may end up receiving it twice.

First of all, can I apologize for my response to you last night. It was late and I was tired but there is no excuse. We seem to have got off on the wrong foot. This is due to a bit of miscommunication.

I am a newbee. Very green but willing to learn.
All my posts to this forum are used as a learning tool. Some of my entries and exits are academic and some are actual trades. I do not cherry pick. For instance, Fridays posting was a real trade and unfortunately a real loss. My entry was good but my management had a lot to be desired. I as said. I have a lot to learn.

It is obvious from your postings that you are a skilled technician and know your subject inside out. This is some thing I strive for. I welcome any insights you may have on any postings I make.

I hope there are no hard feelings and once again I apologize if there are.

Kind regards
Andy

Hi Stoploss,

I note from your last post that you are a newbie, so am I , new to trading that is, for the last 35 years I have been running my business, paying taxes, bringing up my children, doing all the things that people do in life, but here I am a newbie same as you. I have no idea who mma is, nor from his/her aggressive know-all posts have I any wish to know more, all I would say to you is regardless wether we are beginners or experts all are entitled to be treated in a courteous, polite manner, so perhaps certain people should not poke their nose in where it is not required. You had a perfectly valid thread running here with a lot of valuable feedback from some experienced members, disregard mma' ridiculous interventions and lets get back to a sensible debate.

Kind regards

David

David

As far as I am concerned, the case is close. I really wanted to keep this private but I was not able to send a message. No damage has been done. These things happen. It's part of life.

Kind regards
Andy

stoploss,

yes I got your email - fair enough , I hear you .

I don't believe there has been anything aggressive or personal in my posts , this is trading and in my view , it should be as non personal as it gets . a trade either makes money or loses - it has zero reflection on a trader's persona .

In fact I would say that if one has stuck firmly to one's tradingplan but gets stopped out , then that is a GOOD trade .

Davelong :

* I have no idea who mma is, nor from his/her aggressive know-all posts have I any wish to know more *

My my , isn't it funny how this BB seems plagued with wannabe
* good samaritans * . everytime there is even a hint of differing views , these types seems to crawl out of the woodwork and prop themselves up as so called * good guys* .

yeah right . good my a#$ , these people are just jacking their own egos - not a jot of altruism there .

btw - can you point out exactly where I have been aggressive and all knowing ?? or is having an opinion a crime in your book .

silly .

My first day using price and volume

These are all academic entries as it was my first day looking at the ES and ES volume. I have now ditched all my derived indicators and only looking at price action and volume. I have gone over to bars as price patterns are more spottable but I have to confess that I take a quick sneaky glance at candles on
individual bar and bar formations. This is because I have not
looked at bars since the beginning of the year.

Sorry guys and gals. This is an attachment. I am getting one of my
IT buddies to sort this problem out.

I have given each entry a number. I know yesterday was a low volume day due to the holiday. I did not realize this until I was told but I was not going to trade anyway as this was my first day
with my new toys. Also, I had just returned from the dentist so I
was not a very happy bunny.

I am now concentrating on finding good entries for the moment.
The management of the trade is of course important and I will
speak about later in the thread as hopefully my technical and
intuitive skills develop.

Please have a look at the individual entries and post your comments.

Kind regards
Andy

Attachments

• es1.xls
    61.5 KB · Views: 292
Hmmm...

I cannot open it. My site keeps referring me to the net to look for a compatible programme to open the xls with.

:-(