What do you think??

trendie

Legendary member
I have been toying with simplifying some ideas.
(I currently use Cornflower as a primary, but still toy with alternative ideas)

set-up: (preferrably 60-mins, or better still 4-hrs)
Hull-MA set to 15 (TSR Signal Line from FXigors post (go look for it))
Channel: 5-EMA of Highs; 5-EMA of Lows.
Lower windows: MACD of 5,20,1. (this is simply a histogrammic representation of a 5/20 MA cross-over; the "1" means no smoothing.) I use it improve clarity of price bars in main screen.
RSI: 21 and 5. (as per Bagovino.)

Use: I love pullback trading!! rather than take a cross-over, wait for a pullback.
The price hitting the 5-EMA-Low when the MACD is above zero means a trigger to enter a Long.
The price hitting the 5-EMA-High when the MACD is below zero means a trigger a Short.

Observations:
a: sometimes, during a cross-over, there is too much noise and you may get stopped out by noise. But, if you enter on the "other" side of the noise, you are less likely to get stopped out, and the fluctuations are more likely to slingshot you back towards the mean (average).

b: I have found that the bigger the MAs, the less likely they reflect the reality. Some would argue that 200-day EMAs are great, others that 89-EMA works. Yes, in a random sort of way, rather mystical.
However, the flip side of short-MAs is you get many more false signals.

c: stop-losses. following on a; about trading the channel-edge, the stop-loss can be smaller. for example, if the channel is 60 pips wide, and the cross took place in the middle, and you wanted a 10 pip margin for error, you may have a stop-loss of (30 + 10) pips. but, if you enter on the channel-edge, you can trade with a 20 pip stop-loss or so, as the price needs less room to prove itself.
therefore low-risk entries.

Note: I trade this on 4-hrs with minimal money, as its a concept I want to trial.
I havent ironed out profit-targets.
I have left the chart as clean as possible, as I want to observe candle patterns as well.
The idea is mostly discretionary.

I thought I would start this thread since there seems to be very few actual "systems" or methods being described.
apologies if its a variation on something already out there. please let me know, so I can credit them.

Attachments

• channel-max.gif
    channel-max.gif
    59 KB · Views: 396
hi trendie,

im not the one to tell you if its a good system or not, and you know why. the part i think is key is that you keep a clean chart that allows you to see how price forms and how the bars are printed.

by the way, thought you used candlesticks and not bars. i prefer bars, but sometimes swap to candles.

j

Sound a bit too complex for me, difficult to interpret, difficult to automate, attention demanding, lots of screen-watching etc. waiting for all the indicators to line up...
If it achieves good results then fine. But i bet its possible to achieve equal results with just one of the indicators instead of 5.

Remember - KISS! - Keep It Simple Stupid!
or
KIASAPS - Keep It As Simple As Possible Stupid! :D .

Last edited:
Also seems slightly overcomplicated to me as well, but hey what do I know, not overly portable between charting platforms due to the HMa, I like the use of RSI, hadn't thought of that, tracked down Bagovino to FF will read some more. Don't be surprised to see a variation on that RSI theme popping up in my moving average thread in this forum.

Good luck with it, looks a good one.

Kudos to you for sharing.

Hi Trendie,

Have you thought about a volatility based indicator in place of one or more of the indicators?

Thank you for sharing.

Good luck,

Fibonelli

thanks for replies.
this is as simple as I can,. so far, make it!

J: yep, the stripped down version is so that I can concentrate on price action, and see if I can anticipate. losing indicators is a slow process!

LM: The HMA could be dispensed with - since its the channel you are trading.
(I acknowledge the portability issue.)

JT: you could place a buy/sell order at the channel and then go away for upto 4 hrs at a time, so screen-watching is reduced. also, because you are buying/selling at the edges, the risk is reduced.
HEY: who are you calling Stupid? :LOL:

Fib: have tried bolls, but the reason for MAs, I want to understand how the lines are drawn, rather than just react to complex maths-derived lines that I cant visualise the maths to. actually, Kelltners arent too bad!

Had to trudge through to post 1617 on page 108 on ff before I came by the rsi settings and wot its all about, http://forexfactory.com/showthread.php?t=7603&page=108 I hadn't tried looking at rsi like that, not sure if its the same setting or style as you have trendie but certainly looks useful.

Im not looking any further into this now...eyes are bleeding...time for bed...goodnight.