Sharescope

lockstock

Anyone using it, just taking a look at it and quite impressed?

It's a toss up between Updata and this one, the latter just has the edge imho.

Anyone that does use it want to acquire 2 months extra on their membership gratis as a recommend a friend let me know.

All comments welcome on the software.

Anyone using it, just taking a look at it and quite impressed?

It's a toss up between Updata and this one, the latter just has the edge imho.

Anyone that does use it want to acquire 2 months extra on their membership gratis as a recommend a friend let me know.

All comments welcome on the software.

I've used both. Sharescope was very flexible, in that if you wanted anything, chances are they would code it for you. Updata don't go that extra mile. However the biggest stumbling block for me was how sharescope "package" their data.
If you want historical intraday data, rather than giving you bar by bar, they condense this data. Even if its a 5min chart and you want weeks and weeks of history, they start condensing a large portion. so one bar might even be a four hour package of 5 minute bars..its extremely frustrating.
I use non-time based charts, so every chart I was loading, was inaccurate. You can get around this by refreshing the chart every time you use it. so don't think you can just pick up a chart you had saved and think its accurate.
This accuracy then leaves you questioning what else isn't right with it. even when you have refreshed it, its extremely tempramental as to whether it really has done anything at all..just in case you're thinking that you can live with refreshing each time.

Now, that said, updata's data supplier is awful. You will get each 5 minute bar in history, but it may not be accurate with incorrect highs and lows etc. I remember not so long ago on almost all uk ftse data, even the index. I phoned, complained etc and still they did nothing to correct the data. when they did get round to doing it they only did the index. That put me off them. I now use updata but with a third party data provider which is proving far better. I would have left, but like I say I use non-time based and their P&F is the best out there.
So if you do go with updata, be prepared to have to spend about £500/annum on top of the data.
Sharescope is cheap, flexible but also really really annoying. Not just in the data aspect, but also in how you save settings. Its very unintuitive and will leave you having undone all your hard work in saving layouts by clicking on the wrong thing.

esignal is far better than sharescope in my opinion, I guess it all depends what your requirements are as they are all different. I've tried most of them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cheers for the above Malaguti, that has thrown a spanner in the works, I will have a look at e-signal.

Had a look at Sharescope, currently in a 30 day money back trial so I took the opportunity of seeing what their real time data was like.

Firstly, with any platform ease of use has to be the main criteria of the software, if it isn't easy to use and well thought out then many won't get past the first base. This software is the worst I have ever witnessed from the charting perspective and is counter intuitive in about every return. I have never had to ring up a help desk to find out how to use their goods. I have spent hours on the phone over the last week trying to fathom out how to get everything up and running, just when you think you have - WALLOP you end up losing your data. A time a motion operative would have a field day in tearing apart the notion that it's easy to use and is built on a -joined up thinking- mode.

Their argument is, that once you have got used to all the different nuances and quirks of their software there is no other to rival it- well I would counter that by saying that Updata software is identical and their charting package is a dream to use, well thought out and how you would want it to operate.

It's quite simple if you have a help desk so busy aiding users to use your software then something is clearly wrong, it's not mutually exclusive to have a good data mining software/ portfolio that doesn't incorporate a good charting package.

Certain members of their help desk/ customer services leave a lot to be desired. I would contend that any member arguing with you, talking over you, being condescending, being down right dismissive of your feed back and ultimately stating - " Well perhaps our software isn't right for you" You may well think that but in no way as a customer service team would you ever mouth it out loud.

Other members readily concede that the charting side and initial ease of use could be much improved.

What I do like about it is the swing candle stick charts, showing inside and outside candles in any time frame.

Never managed to get to trial E-signal. Their costs look prohibitive for me. They were wanting $40 for their 30 day trail and then the costs for trading the DJ , Eurex and UK came to about $185 and then you have your brokerage fees on top.

May have a look at in the future but for now quite happy to pay the spread bet costs with IG /CI ok, you aren't trading against the other competitors of the market and are trading against the firm but their prices for the UKX mirror the market most of the time and with so much competition in the SB market that there is very little room for any jigger y pokery to take place.

Had a look at Sharescope, currently in a 30 day money back trial so I took the opportunity of seeing what their real time data was like.

Firstly, with any platform ease of use has to be the main criteria of the software, if it isn't easy to use and well thought out then many won't get past the first base. This software is the worst I have ever witnessed from the charting perspective and is counter intuitive in about every return. I have never had to ring up a help desk to find out how to use their goods. I have spent hours on the phone over the last week trying to fathom out how to get everything up and running, just when you think you have - WALLOP you end up losing your data. A time a motion operative would have a field day in tearing apart the notion that it's easy to use and is built on a -joined up thinking- mode.

Their argument is, that once you have got used to all the different nuances and quirks of their software there is no other to rival it- well I would counter that by saying that Updata software is identical and their charting package is a dream to use, well thought out and how you would want it to operate.

It's quite simple if you have a help desk so busy aiding users to use your software then something is clearly wrong, it's not mutually exclusive to have a good data mining software/ portfolio that doesn't incorporate a good charting package.

Certain members of their help desk/ customer services leave a lot to be desired. I would contend that any member arguing with you, talking over you, being condescending, being down right dismissive of your feed back and ultimately stating - " Well perhaps our software isn't right for you" You may well think that but in no way as a customer service team would you ever mouth it out loud.

Other members readily concede that the charting side and initial ease of use could be much improved.

What I do like about it is the swing candle stick charts, showing inside and outside candles in any time frame.

I know, they could do a lot, lot better. if you found esignal pricey, then updata will definately not be in your price range. I guess it depends what you would want from this charting package. Good luck in your search though.

I know, they could do a lot, lot better. if you found esignal pricey, then updata will definately not be in your price range. I guess it depends what you would want from this charting package. Good luck in your search though.

The annoying thing about Sharescope or the customer service rep that I spoke to who told me he was second in command it appeared he didn't want to listen.

With respect to Updata it's £999 for real time data plus the VAT.

Sharescopes similar package is cheaper at £90 a month or £900 all in for a year and they have thrown in 2 extra months as it was recommended to me by a 'friend'

How much is E-signal costing you and what exchanges do you trade on as I got a quote of £ 108 a month plus additional brokerage fees ? Which comes out way more than the above.

Last edited:
The more I try and navigate round this Sharescope software the more exasperated I become.

You cannot open a chart of say the Ftse 100 in a 5 min time frame and then open another chart of the Ftse 100 and have it in 15 min chart followed by opening another chart of the Ftse 100 in 1 hour time frame. When you open three different charts - no matter what happens with locking all settings the time frame changes in all of them at the same time- why would you want a facility like that?????? Crazy imho.

Now I know there is a way of doing it as it was explained to me last week, a simple process like opening 3 different time frames of the same instrument and you have to phone the help desk to explain how to do it.

Since losing my locked settings of this sliced view of the Ftse 100 I cannot for the life in me replicate what I had, you change a time frame in one window and they all change- fxxxing maddening!!!!

The annoying thing about Sharescope or the customer service rep that I spoke to who told me he was second in command it appeared he didn't want to listen.

With respect to Updata it's £999 for real time data plus the VAT.

Sharescopes similar package is cheaper at £90 a month or £900 all in for a year and they have thrown in 2 extra months as it was recommended to me by a 'friend'

How much is E-signal costing you and what exchanges do you trade on as I got a quote of £ 108 a month plus additional brokerage fees ? Which comes out way more than the above.

I had esignal at $1500/annum, whereas updata was costing me approx £1500 (using their own data). difference was all in the exchange rate, and better accuracy of course..in hindsight, its worth it.
then when i found out updata's data service was abysmal i was using updata at £500/annum plus esignal's data. There's some things i just cant do without in updata..but im changing my ways to accomodate this lack of functionality apparent in all charting packages

and believe me I share all your frustrations with sharescope
In order to do what you want, you have to save a template for a 5 minute, 15 minute etc etc. its awful, as you are finding out