S&P 500 weekly competition for 2012

I don't know about you folks but sometimes the S&P500 really just flummoxes me. Like the majority who posted a 'down' move for last week, the last thing I was expecting was the building of a base on Thursday and then a significant move up on Friday that left it to close, just a tad above the previous week at 1356.78.

As a consequence of this serial contrarian behaviour last last week's 1,2 & 3 are:

1) Weighted Average - 1356.6 (-0.18)
2) Average - 1355.3 (-1.48)
3) Isatrader - 1364 (7.22)

So congratulations to Pat's complex and simple algorithms for nailing the top 2 spots and to Isatrader for being the only human on the podium this week. :LOL::LOL::cool::cool::clap::clap::clap:

Sneakily, ibetyou notched up another directional point this week making him the leader after 2 weeks of the Q3 round - well done - you are putting the regulars to shame right now :cool:(y)

Link to results

Attachments

• SPWeekly20120713.png
    SPWeekly20120713.png
    110 KB · Views: 191
Last edited:
Well done Hwsteele,thought i had it at one point then it just slipped away ha ha ha,
Thats trading,
I see i'm just clinging on to my position by a nats wisker,so must try harder next week to put some distance between us all,and i don't mean down the board lol.

1380tttttyyyyyyy!

I been banging my head against 1380 for some time now. It hasn't hit it, so might be time to change my tune.

I call 1350 for next week. Going to go down a bit, but it'll still be mostly flat.

Well i keep looking at it and changing my mind so here it is for next week 1344 now i can get on and get some work done.

I see pat's gone higher.will it be raspberries and cream on the beach next weekend i wonder.

Oh my gosh, I won!
Drinks for everyone!:drunk:
Now lets see if I can do it again.

1335 for next Friday.

Congratulations to the other two winners, oh wait, one other winner and to the square in the spread sheet that calculates:eek:nline2lo the average that came in second.

In that case you're welcome to win anytime!

Peter

I'm a little bit concerned that the S&P might be close to topping out as the main breadth chart I follow (NYSE percentage of stock above their 150 day moving average) is showing some divergence with the price action. It's clearer to see on the daily chart on the right of the attached, where you can see it made a lower high, while the price made a higher high. The weekly breadth line has also failed to get back above it's 30 week MA while the weekly price has. So there are cracks appearing in this recent months short term rally.

However, the S&P 500 isn't an equal weighted index, so it can be held up by a smaller amount of larger cap stocks. For example the top 10 stocks made up 20.94% of the index on June 29th, and of that Apple made up 4.44%, and so they can help keep it afloat even when the smaller cap stocks are not playing along. But Apples weekly chart looked to be struggling last week and is possibly making a lower high, and some of the other top 10 companies aren't looking too good either.

So I think I'll join the bears for a change and say 1351 please Rob

Attachments

• SPX_and_Breadth_20-7-12.png
    SPX_and_Breadth_20-7-12.png
    141.6 KB · Views: 133
  • fs-sp-500-ltr.pdf
    79.2 KB · Views: 336
Last edited:
Well i keep looking at it and changing my mind so here it is for next week 1344 now i can get on and get some work done.

I see pat's gone higher.will it be raspberries and cream on the beach next weekend i wonder.

Hope so

:D

1330 Please Rob...

Getting moves right but total hotch potch on Friday's.

I wonder if I should go and consult my GP??? :(

Folks, I am conscious that I am getting practically no time at the weekends now to do anything other than figure out who has won and lost and then post the link up for the results.

Hence for the foreseeable I will commit to doing the calculations and getting a screen-grab up. If I manage to write anything up then it's a bonus (not sure for whom).