S&P 500 cash weekly competition for 2013

Well done last week Peter!

1,595 for me this week please Atilla.
Tim.

Hi Guys,

Here is the belated forecasts for the S&P500-QTR2 competition.

As usual list shows top down from most bullish to bearish. As it stands mid-week the S&P500 @ 1614 showing 16 point drop from last Friday's close.

If it stays this way wackypete2 stands to get third gold podium medal. That is indeed very rare and will hurl him to top position. :clap:

Wishing you all good luck and prosperous trading (y)

Attachments

• SPX500-130607a.JPG
    SPX500-130607a.JPG
    251.7 KB · Views: 171
Congratulations to this weeks podium winners - especially to tar who becomes third person this QTR-2 to take two gold medals. ... :clap::clap::clap:

Three weeks to go and quite a few in with a chance at hitting top position.

Topsy turvy week with few pieces of news and big swings in markets. I'm not sure anyone knows what's going on but that is simply my pov. Like these astronauts - what goes up must come down. :whistling

......................................... Pat494 ..................tar....................................mike.
International-Space-Station.jpg

Attachments

• SP-20130607-b.JPG
    SP-20130607-b.JPG
    295.7 KB · Views: 167
Last edited:
Wasn't Friday a bitch. I lost 2 weeks' of profit in 2 hours !!

:mad:

Reactions: tar
Congratulations to this weeks podium winners - especially to tar who becomes third person this QTR-2 to take two gold medals. ... :clap::clap::clap:

Three weeks to go and quite a few in with a chance at hitting top position.

Topsy turvy week with few pieces of news and big swings in markets. I'm not sure anyone knows what's going on but that is simply my pov. Like these astronauts - what goes up must come down. :whistling

......................................... Pat494 ..................tar....................................Gaffs
International-Space-Station.jpg

Fixed it for you Atilla :LOL:

Fixed it for you Atilla :LOL:

Thanks mike. didn't notice at all. Was in the early hours of the morning ;)

Well done to Gaffs too for getting 2nd bronze. Better than a poke in the eye with a blunt stick I guess. :cheesy:

1610.5 for me again this week...

Getting mixed signals. If in doubt sell. :whistling

Another week, another higher low, last weeks price action leaves 16000 dow still on for this quarter, or we will come pretty damn close imo, there was a lot of support at 15k that should see a run back up to the highs

1662.5 for me.

(y)

NEW YORK, June 7 (Reuters) - The dollar rose and global equity markets rallied on Friday after U.S. jobs data for May quashed investors' concerns that the Federal Reserve would soon start easing back on its stimulus program.

Still, investors are coming around to the notion that the Fed would begin to reduce its bond buying in support of the economy, perhaps as soon as September. The program has been instrumental in pushing stocks to successive highs since March.

Employment outside the farming sector in the world's leading economy rose by 175,000 last month, just above the median forecast in a Reuters poll, Labor Department data showed.

The unemployment rate ticked one-tenth of a percentage point higher to 7.6 percent, a relatively hopeful sign as it was driven by more workers entering the American labor force.

Stocks on Wall Street jumped more than 1 percent, following gains in Europe on the news, while the dollar rose against the euro and crude oil rebounded from early losses.

Gold fell around 2 percent, its biggest one-day drop in over three weeks.

"This kind of Goldilocks recovery is what people are looking for," said Rick Meckler, president of hedge fund LibertyView Capital Management LLC in Jersey City, New Jersey.

MSCI (NYSE: MSCI - news) 's all-country world index of 45 country indexes rose 0.89 percent, while the FTSEurofirst 300 of leading European shares gained 1.33 percent to close at 1,194.26.

Market gauges of investor apprehension eased on the news. The Chicago Board Option Exchange's Volatility Index fell 9.62 percent, while in Europe the Euro STOXX 50 Volatility index slid 10.1 percent.

On Wall Street, the Dow Jones (DJI: ^DJI - news) industrial average closed up 207.50 points, or 1.38 percent, at 15,248.12. The Standard & Poor's 500 Index rose 20.82 points, or 1.28 percent, at 1,643.38. The Nasdaq Composite Index aded 45.16 points, or 1.32 percent, at 3,469.22.

For the week, the Dow rose 0.9 percent, while the S&P gained 0.8 percent and the Nasdaq 0.4 percent.

The dollar recovered its sharp losses from the previous session, beaten down by expectations of a downbeat figure before the release of payrolls report.

The euro fell to the day's lows against the dollar after the jobs report, touching a session low of $1.3193 and was last at $1.3219, down 0.2 percent.

Against the yen, the dollar gained about 0.55 percent to 97.47.

"This will calm some of the volatility in the markets, as people were very concerned about an aberrational number in particular being too strong and how that would aggressively move the Fed's disposition in terms of tapering," said Rick Rieder, co-head of Americas fixed income at BlackRock (NYSE: BLK - news) in New York.

But volatility is likely to pick up because of news in coming weeks about European growth, U.S. economic data and Japan's direction, he said. The Fed may begin to scale back its asset purchases moderately some time around September, in line with market expectations, Rieder said.

German Bund futures pared gains and U.S. government debt fell in choppy trade on the view the U.S. payrolls data was not enough to hasten a scaling back in Fed stimulus.

Benchmark 10-year U.S. Treasury notes were down 28/32 in price to yield 2.179 percent.

Bund futures initially fell as low as 143.25 before recouping those losses in rocky trade, to settle down 6 ticks at 143.39.

U.S. Comex gold futures for August delivery settled down $32.80 an ounce at $1,383.00.

Brent futures rose above $104 a barrel, supported by expectations of ongoing U.S. economic stimulus, putting the contract on course for its biggest weekly gain since late April.

Brent crude settled 95 cents higher at $104.56 a barrel, while U.S. oil rose $1.27 to settle at $96.03 a barrel.

"Oil is taking a cue from the equity market, which obviously liked the employment data," said John Kilduff, a partner at Again Capital LLC in New York.

"The upside surprise versus expectation is signaling further economic improvement and energy demand."