Best Thread Phil Newton's Range Break Out strategy

Hi Folks,

A couple of trades setting up today that we have been waiting for a while to develop have triggered this morning, most of the other analysis hasnt changed too significantly, NFP later in teh day which will most likely influence the USD cross rates

So, If I'm not in a trade 2-2.5 hours prior to NFP today I will not be looking for a new trade until after the news release.

Hi Folks

This short video shows the few trades that were taken prior to and post NFP today. Nothing Major setting up through my trigger levels and back to waiting again for the patterns to present entries for me.

NFP Was a funny 'ole day today. GBPJPY GBPCHF were the only things setting up for me prior to NFP, post NFP I might have expected some of the USD cross rates to start moving out of some of the larger patterns we have been looking at the past few days.

All eyes were then on ISM which didn't so much as bat an eyelid at the markets.

I guess that the big guns just wanted a lazy days trading with nothing fundamental to push these markets in any direction in a serious way.

Something that you might see if the actual news items doesn't move the market immediately is a late day movement between 4-6pm UK hours and nothing along those lines either.

Gone are the BIG NFP moves that we used to see 2-3 years ago which on pairs like GBPUSD it would be normal to see 300+ movements and has been like this for about 2 years now.

I think back to when I traded Index Futures more regularly up to about 2002 when I noted the same sort reduction in volatility of some of the key figures which then saw those markets go into a slump. This is just what we are seeing on FX and if you look at the monthly charts you will see some serious side ways movements which as a day trader is not great to see.

Other clues that we have has recently looking at the majors is the reduction in the average high low ranges as well what I consider sloppy looking charts (lots of spikey bars) all this leads to what we already see on some of the charts is that we are seeing consolidation patterns develop and we are waiting for break out moves to begin. We also need to see some fundamental shift to trigger those moves from a long term view.

GM Folks hope you all had a great weekend, not much change to the picture from friday...

Looking for entries on GBPCHF to add in to short trade GBPJPY and GBPUSD for trades... GBPUSD already triggered a short BO for me

Other pairs look slightly long term range bound... video to follow shortly

There is a full Calendar of events this week - Lots of Interest Rate Announcements amongst Employment and Consumer Sentiment numbers coming out across the globe.

So far the day has not seem any major movements with just a trading opportunities from those pairs that are looking good for today.

Some nice early break out moves on GBPUSD GBPCHF CADCHF and USDJPY. Scale outs have been hit on the first two trades and still pending on the last two trades mentioned. As I'm Typing though USDJPY is just breaking new highs for the day which could see that scale out hit at 108.15 soon... I hope.

The Pairs are going now into that quiet lull during the UK lunch time and with no major market moving news out today we could see that slow grind continue to develop into theUK afternoon session.

The three major banks (FED, ECB and BOE) are announcing their economic policy: although is not expected a move in any of them, the statements could suggest that while the US may begin to hike interest rates in the coming months, while the ECB and the BOE may have to keep them unchanged or even consider lowering their rates, turning dollar bullish more firmer. The Fed will start tomorrow, so we could see some choppy trading till that moment. - Valeria Bednarik

Enjoy

Phil

Hi Folks,

Today's trade reviews showing that patience is very much often needed when trading,I saw a couple of early BO movements which then started to slow down through the better part of the day. The afternoon session saw continued slow price action movement and it was only near the end of the UK session that we started to see some serious follow through on the trades taken.

A few false break outs still got me in the trades with Euro and Swiss seeing some small losses, but those small losses have got to be better than the larger potential losses that you would take if you take all the text books advice and bracket a range, Euro saw a 15 pip loss for example compare that to a 40 pips loss on a long BO and a 40 pip loss on a short break out... so much for what the text books say, eh!

Good morning folks,

Some very nice early morning movements have already been seen today which is a joy to see given the current climate of slow grinding movements.

Standard set ups again on the movers which is break out of the overnight ranges... still some larger ranges waiting to break out... Euro and Swissy spring to mind as they continue to chop around.

Hope you all got a piece of the action today folks

Enjoy

Phil

In this short Forex video I look at how to treat non standard ranges that occur from time to time

Hi Folks,

Last nights FOMC decision was that rates would remain unchanged for now and most likely until after the elections. As a result of this I saw little action post news and a lot of movement had already been factored in for the day which left reduced potential movement based on the ATR's for the USD cross rates.

Today I'm looking at some good set ups and time will tell as always as to if they will deliver for me.

Happy trading folks.

YouTube - Forex Video | Set ups 06 Aug '08 | Analysis

Hi Folks,

Today's trades took a lot of patience to set up and deliver the goods by the days end. Patience can be one of the bigger obstacles for newer traders as most have that need to be doing something all the time.

Keep your plan and your objective firmly in mind and do not deviate from the plan, let the trade come to you and dont rush after a trade just because you want to be in a trade.

Follow the plan, the plan is good.

Enjoy

Phil

Awesome videos. Just wanted to say thanks.

I like this because it's so simple! Although I haven't been day trading, I've been trying to apply this method on higher TFs at the moment. I'll probably look into day trading but I've had numerous sources suggest higher TFs when beginning.

Hello and thank yo for your kind words...

This pattern can be traded on the larger time frames and obviously takes time and patience to wait for those trading set ups to develop and to deliver for you.

however you can mix the two quite easily which is what we do in my daily live room.

EURUSD is a good example of a large daily range going back through most of this year. whenprice is down at support lows or up at resistance high... drill down to the lower time frames to see whats going on there... you might just be surprised to see an overnight range or a 60 min range develop which you can trade with a really low risk entry compared to the profit potential.

Hi Grey and thanks :)

Its a funny thing really, I trading this pattern for several years which has not changed other than the trade/money management aspect.

I received an email recently asking me why there was so much difference between the pattern 4 years ago and the pattern today.

The answer was nothing. it is still the same method and Ive always used it as an entry method into a larger potential movement.

I think what has changed is that my teaching style and definitions has changed a great deal since back then and trying to find many different ways to explain the same things.

The definitions of the pattern has dramatically changed with this teaching experience and I also went through a phase when I moved over to tradestation to try an automate everything and as its all price action based I needed to describe everything in minute detail to the programmer which mae me scrutinize every possible detail and pattern variation, makes you think about all those things you take for granted

The programmer gave up saying that price action coding was beyond his skills and ive now been through several programmers and given up.... a good exercise indeed non the less

Hi Folks, just a quick update.

So far UK BofE keeps rates unchanged not sparking any serious interest just yet on GBP movements all eyes now on ECB, which at a guess will also remain unchanged... but you never know they may just surprise us with something and create some interesting movements for me to trade.

Happy Trading

Phil

Hi Folks,

I was just doing some late night prep work for tomorrow and was looking at EURUSD which is a currency pair I have been discussing for some time now getting down to 1.5300. The video talks about what I will be looking for in an ideal situation and how I will be looking to trade this cross rate.

Enjoy

Phil

Hi Folks,

Slim pickings looking at the session so far. Most of the pairs have put in average days moves overnight which severely reduce's my trading options for the day.

IF an average days move has been done I have zero expectation that price will put in another average days move for me to profit from... lets be realistic how often do we see 2 x ATR?

So What I'm looking for, what I need to happen before a lot of pairs today become tradable is a retracement to give me back my profit potential and I want to see at least 50% of current days move return back to me to give me something worth trading.

This is relative to my objective for intraday trading which I'm looking to capture the best part of an average days move... that's been done so waiting is most likely what I will be doing.

I used to say to myself quite often that IF an average days move has been done no trades as normally once thats been done the pair or pairs start to consolidate anyway certainly that could well be the case and IF prices do retrace then they could take some time to get to those interesting Fib levels I'm waiting for price to reach.

With respect to the EURUSD long term BO that has now triggered... plenty of time to jump on that ride so don't worry about missing a little bit of the move today

So options,

take a morning off come back see if the retracements develop

Have a long weekend and call it a week... its been a good one, so treat the family

The choice is yours folks

GM Folks,

Pretty standard stuff coming to today's session on most of the cross rates... USD pairs showing some very nice patterns for potential trading opportunities.

Also some of the other pairs like GBPCHF showing signs of being at the extreme boundaries of the slightly larger range patterns I have been watching for a while now.

One thing to keep in mind is that after such a large USD movement this could lead into some extended ranges, opinions aside though I'll be trading the chart and following the plan.

Enjoy

Phil

YouTube - Forex Video | Set ups 11 Aug '08 | Analysis