Best Thread Phil Newton's Range Break Out strategy

Some nice early break out moves on euro swissy and gbpchf which should have seen a few nice pips gained for you.

Hi Folks,

Although the morning started off well with some nice early breakout moves the day as a whole as been a really slow grind, which I expect will continue into tomorrows session as well

Hope you all got a piece of the early action

Enjoy

Phil

Not too many overnight ranges today to play with today... ATR's done on most pairs again today reduced trading opportunites... peronsally looking at Fib set ups if they present themselves now.

Hi Folks,

Just a quick morning video today looking at the USD cross rates which are setting up quite nicely this morning. JPY cross rates have mostly done ATR's (again!!) overnight which means for break outs a step aside situation.

Enjoy

Phil

Hi Folks,

Todays morning video showing which pairs I'm looking at with a quick look at one of the pairs that I'm not lookig at at why.

Enjoy

Phil

No Video today, some of the usual suspects setting up

euro swissy jappy and gbpchf are pairs I'm looking at.

Have a good days trading folks

Phil

A quick look at some of the more interesting patterns for the coming weeks trading ahed of me

Enjoy

Phil

thanks a lot! have a good luck!

i will buy gu!
20080816_e5b1df767b54fd109719Jgxol1VFQhit.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Folks,

Today's morning analysis showing a quick look at what we have been looking at in the Live Room so far. Showing what pairs are potentially setting up for me for trading opportunities.

Happy Trading

Phil

Hi Folks,

This forex video take a look back at the days trades using the break out set up and also a quick mention on using Fibonacci entries for the currency trade set ups that I reviewed this morning.

Enjoy

Phil

Even I saw the GBPUSD breakout this morning.
GBPUSD closed at upper level of yesterdays move.
Tight overnight range, leaving more of the daily range to play.

I really like this method. Primarily, because it reads the natural market geometry; looks for daily range targets, so one or two trades and you're done; and the analysis is consistent on nearly all relevant time-frames. (indicators would give different values on different time-frames).

I also like the potential to trade in the morning, and you're done for the day (most times).

Just curious as to how many actual trades are taken per day. Since you analyse many markets, unless you automate entries, you must filter out which ones to take, no?

I would like to find out about the Fib entries when overnight is a trend. I suspect its s 50/61% retrace of overnight range.

Yes the breakout on gb/usd and the euro/usd was just great.
averaging 50 odd points
I use the pivots to time out my exits
I have stated reusing this method for the past 2 weeks and average 50 to 60 points a day
Even trading £2 or £3 a point would give you enough of a income to only trade mornings
I am done by 9 am and then do other things test strategies on a demo account or what not.
People who spend £4000 odd pounds on signal systems should try this.

I start looking for trades on teh 89 tick chart hopefully for an early entry... if that doesnt work out initally there is then the 15 min entry as long as there is still profit potential left in the moves

so your looking at 1-2 trades per pair per day IF the break out develops

..also dont forget teh big picture some larger range patterns developing and confirming yesterday and today

Just curious as to how many actual trades are taken per day. Since you analyse many markets, unless you automate entries, you must filter out which ones to take, no?

Superb thread mon :clap:.

Just to echo some of the comments above goto say the method is very simple to define and clear to execute, so important to avoid that woulda coulda shoulda grey indecisioness (my nemsis anyway)... Imo can be used to trade intraday or if your longer term as a possible way of entering trend.

(y)

Spot on DT,

I know a few people who trade long term and this is a good entry method into a swing or position trade...

This pattern offers up a good low risk entry opportunity that is reliable and consistant and simple... even better is that its free, no funny coloured lines on your charts to confuse you

Superb thread mon :clap:.

Just to echo some of the comments above goto say the method is very simple to define and clear to execute, so important to avoid that woulda coulda shoulda grey indecisioness (my nemsis anyway)... Imo can be used to trade intraday or if your longer term as a possible way of entering trend.

(y)

Phil,

do you make any allowances for news events in your breakouts?
sometimes an economic news event takes place in the morning, and if the volatility is such that the market is waiting for the outcome, it may affect your triggers?
do you have rules for this?

Interesting question

As a rule of thumb I'm not too concerned with news, I know whats out and when its out but Ive watched far too many news items now over the years to be scared off by them... personally I trade through most of them as they usually go in line with teh prevailing trend for the day anyway.

there are only a few news Items that I have a rule for like NFP or interest rates announcements that If I'm not in a trade by a ceratin time before the news I will wait until after the news to look for a new trade

Phil,

do you make any allowances for news events in your breakouts?
sometimes an economic news event takes place in the morning, and if the volatility is such that the market is waiting for the outcome, it may affect your triggers?
do you have rules for this?