Permanent email addresses

RogerM

Established member
I've just kicked ntl into touch and have paid up until today. Unfortunately, ntl, in an effort to really **** me off (successful!) cut me off on 30th March and deleted all email in my account. I have other accounts, but I think it's now time to have a permanent email address that is independent of my ISP and where a change of ISP doesn't require a block mailing to everyone in my address book.

There are a number of outfits that offer these for a modest sum - typically $2 - $3 per month. Does anyone have any practical experience of them? Who do you use? How have you overcome this problem? Would having a dialup connection on a pay as you go basis which I only use (say) once every 3 months offer the same facility for less?

Any advice gratefully received.

Last edited:
I use two: softhome.net and gmx.net are both good .... and free at the basic level. Both support pop3 and browser access.

Roger,

30th April ? it is only the 2nd April today so are you in fact a timelord ? maybe you are the new Dr Who ?

Anyway Husmail is pretty good especially if you want high levels of encryption. www.hushmail.com

Paul

Paul - yeh! I've had to re-morph my body already 'cos Billy Piper has terminally exhausted me! :) s/b 30th March.

I'll have a look at hushmail. Fastmail.fm has also been recommended.

Gmail is very popular now, from Google. 1Gig storage, 10MB max file size. I think these are just about to be increased.

Gmail is by invite only, though you can get an invite here:

http://isnoop.net/gmail

You could alos register a domain and then that address is yours forever, assuming you pay the yearly fee !

I had a similar problem with Wanadoo.

I migrated to Freedom2Surf and there was supposed to be a smooth changeover.

However, in their bloodymindedness, Wanadoo cut me off 4 days before the planned migration date and truly f***ed me off.

The upside was that when they came to refund the unused portion of that month's fee, they somehow managed to credit my credit card twice. I have not bothered to point this out to them. I wonder how long it will take those incompetents to realise their error.

hagadol - I'd considered gmail, but they have ads included which I don't want.

pobox.com looks good?

Hi,

I've used www.ftml.net for about a year now after recomendation from a colleague (IFreelance IT guy like myself) and I think they're great , you get

. Staged pricing starting at $0, (I took the $19.95 per year for the extra features)
. Spam detection
. Virus checking
. Folders/rules for
. Configurable look and feel
. Password protected file storage and web page serving
. Aliases
. Domain hosting
etc.

They're based in Australia and offer many basic domains if you dont have your own.

Cant praise them highly enough!

Chris

www.fastmail.fm has won many awards from computer magazines etc. for being "best email provider". They have a whole range of free and paid-for services and are about a million times better than hotmail. You can get quite a good service from them for $20 per year. Definitely worth a look.

Edit: now I think about it, it sounds absolutely identical to what Chris is talking about in the post above! Maybe they are 2 different addresses for the same service?

Last edited:
Hi Roberto,

Yes they are the same, you can have fastmail.fm, speedymail.org, imap.cc ... the list is long.

Chris

Thanks for your help guys. I tried the free trial of pobox.com but it was very slow. typically 5 - 10 mins to deliiver an email, and up to 20 mins if there was a 1MB attachement. So risked my $20 for a 12 month sub and opened a fastmail account. Seems virtually instantaneous and easy to configure. Webmail easy to use when travelling as well.