People make me laugh

lol,i agree with you here. people take these way to seriously. yes, if the actual discussion was a serious one then yes. . . but these sort of threads. no one should take it serious. :p

He's not going to ignore those he is trying to wind up, is he?
(But seems to be ignoring the whole thread now).

Hi Mike, spent the day bombing around v. sunny and dry N.Wales on a mountain bike with my eldest Son, absolute bliss but I'm seizing up now. Not on the Ferrari of the biking world but it has to do...a weeks wages (if I'm lucky/disciplined) only half a day for BSDs like Rothy though eh? Ah well, I might get there..one day Rodders..;)

Five_AM-000504.jpg

http://www.orangebikes.com/bikes/2011/five_am/

Hi Mike, spent the day bombing around v. sunny and dry N.Wales on a mountain bike with my eldest Son, absolute bliss but I'm seizing up now. Not on the Ferrari of the biking world but it has to do...a weeks wages (if I'm lucky/disciplined) only half a day for BSDs like Rothy though eh? Ah well, I might get there..one day Rodders..;)

Five_AM-000504.jpg

http://www.orangebikes.com/bikes/2011/five_am/

That's a much healthier way of spending the day (physically and psychologically) than staring at this blessed screen trying to take pips out of Euro and cable.

I love bikes myself, but I am of an older generation (CTC flappy shorts etc) who went in for (and still go in for) road bikes. Road touring bikes in my case, rather than racing - they look similar, but the tourer frames are less stiff, and of course are loaded up to the gills when actually touring (or shopping more often in my case!), not like these TdF johnnies with their support vehicles.

I don't know about Ferrari of bikes, but I have always thought that you could buy the Rolls Royce of bikes for prices that the ordinary man in the street could achieve if that's how he wanted to spend his money and didn't mind sacrificing a few other things (like flash cars :) ). My two tourers were about £500 (each) when I bought them more than 10 years ago now (I think), and the equivalent today is about £1200-1500 I think, although you could probably spend £2k by the time you've added a few things or up-specced some of the components. That's not a "Rolls-Royce" or a "Ferrari" of bikes, but I reckon you could get something pretty special for less than £5k.

I guess mountain bikes are fun in the right place (and I know you can pay a packet for the top of the range).

p.s. you must be in league with the Devil if you managed a rain-free day in North Wales :)

It does make me laugh though,....how easily folk are manipulated (unconsciously), to eagerly flaunt their prestige in riding a bicycle (with merit),..to enhance the policy of low CO 2 emissions!
Slowly slowly catchy monkey!
Of course I know, folk will have varying perspectives,..the point being,..the road always leads where it is directed,.....Disclaimer: I've no prejudice. I love cycling and all types of exercise. ; )

It does make me laugh though,....how easily folk are manipulated (unconsciously), to eagerly flaunt their prestige in riding a bicycle (with merit),..to enhance the policy of low CO 2 emissions!
Of course I know, folk will have varying perspectives,..the point being,..the road always leads where it is directed,.....Disclaimer: I've no prejudice. I love cycling and all types of exercise. ; )

:) Well, just for the record, people of my generation rode bikes before CO2 had been invented :LOL:

That's a much healthier way of spending the day (physically and psychologically) than staring at this blessed screen trying to take pips out of Euro and cable.

I guess mountain bikes are fun in the right place (and I know you can pay a packet for the top of the range).

p.s. you must be in league with the Devil if you managed a rain-free day in North Wales :)

You still get out on a bike then Mike? Any biking is great IMO. My eyes have been *bleeding* lately, which is why, given it was the first day off school for all my kids, we decided to get off to Wales, we're only an hour away from here http://www.coedllandegla.com/ it is 'kin brilliant, even the red run is very tough..

Even managed to have a family game of cricket on Prestatyn beach on the way back, 20 degrees, light winds brilliant sunshine, ice cream and fish and chips...does it get better? :) Be gutted when my two eldest go off to UNI or whatever, still, then it'll just be a new phase to adapt to..

TBH I chuckled when I read this as you see guys turning up in huge Mitsubishi warrior 4x4s to off load their bikes. I reckon the low CO2 stuff is alright for tw@ts like Boris and Call me Dave to turn off on when it suits but no way do I consider the environment when bombing around am only intersted in the sport...Also I see folk turning up at tough MTB tracks with their brand new gear, all *up* for it thinking riding along their local prom for an hour will equip them for proper off road...they come back with ther tail between their legs and well over half never come back IMO.. :D

You still get out on a bike then Mike?
Oh blimey yes, although not as often as I'd like. Partly because usually at least one of them is in bits, and I'm not the world's best mechanic and I'm too tight (and proud) to take it to a shop most of the time :) ).

I've got a third bike (cheap Raleigh racer) that's a project for rebuilding (replace everything but the frame) and has been for several years, much to the chagrin of Mrs Monty. :) And one day, I want to build (or set up really) a fixed-wheel bike. I got a cheap 2nd-hand one off a mate once, and had painful fun with it, but eventually wrecked it.

Another idea that's been bubbling away for a few years is to go on a frame-building course. I saw one advertised a few years ago. A complete week, and you should end up with a complete frame to take away, ready to build up to a finished bike. Hope it's still running.

Any biking is great IMO. My eyes have been *bleeding* lately, which is why, given it was the first day off school for all my kids, we decided to get off to Wales, we're only an hour away from here http://www.coedllandegla.com/ it is 'kin brilliant, even the red run is very tough..
Looks fabulous. I do actually keep meaning to get a mountain bike (just a cheap one). Whenever I take my road bike off-road, even in fairly gentle places, more often than not I get a puncture. :( My son's cast offs are too big for me :)

Even managed to have a family game of cricket on Prestatyn beach on the way back, 20 degrees, light winds brilliant sunshine, ice cream and fish and chips...does it get better? :) Be gutted when my two eldest go off to UNI or whatever, still, then it'll just be a new phase to adapt to..
Yes make it last as long as you can. We still manage to see quite a lot of ours, fortunately, although they are well past uni.

p.s. the attached picture is not my actual bike, but it's the same type, although an updated model (Thorn Club Tour), that I found on the web. The original colour was a darker blue which I prefer.

The basic design of this kind of bike hasn't really changed for over half a century, although the technology has moved on of course. That's what I like about bikes: elegant simplicity, although of course there is more to them than meets the eye (things like frame angles and steering geometry).

Attachments

• 3859019336_a07e635a4f.jpg
    3859019336_a07e635a4f.jpg
    200.5 KB · Views: 181
Like you I really appreciate the simple geometry of bikes and the straightfoward engineering brilliance, despite my love of cars and seeing them restored, I've never got my hands that dirty, love it with bikes though..
Funny that you mention Raleigh, my Daughter has no interest in MTB, but she loves old classic vintage bikes, just restored/put back together a ruby red Raleigh Cameo for her, approx. 30 years old, looks stunning..:)
Talk to you laters, gonna catch the last bit of fight club on telly, watched it a few times, but as you know I'm a big fan of Tyler Durden..;)

DT, I havn't watched/read this thread in full, I've no idea as to how and why it degenerated so badly..Can I politely suggest you use the ignore facility? I avoided using it until quite recently, but as a delightful consequence I have observed that pages of this thread were unavailable for me to view as several on my ignore list are clustered together feeding off each other, the same *pattern* is also visible on other threads...strange that..;) I couldn't put Arabian on ignore as he's still down as a mod, but other than that the facility has purred like a 348's DOHC, V8 3405cc, 300bhp (well maintained) engine ...:)

And miss the lulz ?

You do realize I'm having fun, right?

They are all far too busy flaming each other to notice your point.
I did buy Chick's book many years ago when it first came out. I remember being impressed initially but gradual disillusion set in and I sold it on.

Oh on the Toastie V. Roth contest - I think Roth might have just edged ahead in the car section but is a bit behind on wit and well crafted insults.

I think his "Thai Whore" joke is way ahead in terms of class though.

Low class, of course.