patience? no kidding

ok, not two months, i was wrong on that :/
i went long EURUSD on the 10th of august and have had a live account since 25th july.

i should also add that i HAVE been demoing this, and made 30% from june 21-now.

the reason i entered was on demo i was already in the trend so i wanted to try and get in it as well, unfortunately i was too late and the trend appears to have changed.

Thanks for this information Chartsy.
I don't see any signal to go long on 10/08 other than the fact that price has fallen back from where it was 2 days earlier - i.e. it was cheaper. But a cheaper price is no rason to buy.

I scan a number of different systems to generate swing positions but none uses intra-day time frames, just EOD. It was clear on 10/08 that the uptrend to 06/08 had potentially ended or was in a dip. Assuming you would have been out of any long from June or July by this time, confirmation was required before going in long again or going in short.

For me the second close below the 14EMA on 12/08 was confirmation of selling pressure. This was reinforced on 20/08 when price penetrated the low of the previous swing low, 21/07. I don't see any buy signals later than 22/07. 17/08 was a potential day for buying on resumption of the uptrend but was based on a swing low that was not higher than the previous, 22/07, they had equal lows, and if you had gone long on this signal, then the position would have been stopped out on 20/08 as mentioned above and a short signal given.

Accordingly, you should now either be short or in cash, so, as you're in cash, you're not in as bad a position as you could be. The glass is still half-full mate.

Chartsy,

What if you just took the chart and removed all axises from it. This way you will be totally unaware as to what time frame it is, or what value the instrument was. Would you be able to see what you need to take a trade?

So it would be irrelevant if it was 5 minute or a 4 hourly timeframe. If you saw what you needed to you take the trade, simple? The only difference would be the points your are dealing with, but again no problem as your size would be higher.

Then again, there could be a reason why you want to trade large timeframes? Is it to do with your job, lifestyle other commitments?

You entered in a very dangerous place, at a price extreme (albeit a pullback in one), not good if you dont like the hard pullbacks. It takes the ultimate confidence in your system/strategy to trade like this. Have you really got enough experience over these timeframes to know that over time, this application works?

You said that you were already long on a demo account as well, it is likely that you had already got you optimum entry in this market by the time you went in for real.

Without more information it is very difficult for others to help, and to offer any feedback as to the validity of your approach.

Last edited:
:D

We aren't all scalpers! Good threads for trendfollowers are in plenty. Two well-known ones are Mr Charts, who follows US stocks- principle is the same, though and BSD, who has a very light-hearted approach, including girls and football photos.

True. I think i was trying to make a point.....and you took me out of the game mate.

Fair play.

I guess we all trade our certain ways.

True. I think i was trying to make a point.....and you took me out of the game mate.

Fair play.

I guess we all trade our certain ways.

I'm not sure if there were any scalpers on this thread giving out advice....I'm not one anyway...so not sure of the point being made ..

Don't forget its a probability game, which means non winning trades is part of the winning process.

Don't forget its a probability game, which means non winning trades is part of the winning process.

Good choice of words here - we are conditioned from childhood against mistakes, bad decisions, getting sums wrong, etc. etc. This causes immense psychological stress when we move into a field so free of constraints as trading, and have to deal with losing money. This leads to stops being run, revenge trading, doubling down etc. etc. If you're doing these things, you're not ready mentally to trade yet.

i heard it alllll the time when starting out 'be patient and do the simple things'
''haha, as long as ive got a good method patience duzzin matter'

ive made 1 trade in 2 months, and it was a loser, i am a swing trader but holy **** i'm finding it very boring indeed sitting on the sidelines for weeks, for limits not to be filled etc.

it's actually much more of a drag than it looks,imo

Do you actually trade or just imagine you are trading.The downtrend on e /usd has not been reversed on the 4 hr charts.:cheesy:

Actually that is crap advice. His method may be perfectly sound and profitable, its just that the market conditions at the moment are not suitable for his system and therefore he is taking the correct approach and standing aside.

Taking trades off lower timescales to give more activity may be an option worth investigating but it doesn't mean that his basic system is wrong.

Maybe market conditions have changed permanently and his system does not work any more, find another system or become a discretionary trader.

Do you actually trade or just imagine you are trading.The downtrend on e /usd has not been reversed on the 4 hr charts.:cheesy:

Interesting. I don't trade forex much but my E/USD chart is on post 58. Why do you say that the down trend has not changed? I don't think that I would have entered on Friday, but next week it has to be watched as quite likely, I would have thought..

i still dont think it's bounced enough to sell in to, 1.305 is my limit order

i smell gay

Queer system yoo have, it is queer to have no trades in two months.Very crazy to sit with hand in pocket for two months.

Your system is of a questionable nature or character; suspicious

Last edited:
i still dont think it's bounced enough to sell in to, 1.305 is my limit order

What about the distance between now and 1.305, doesn't that interest you? I'm not sure
until Tuesday, myself, but I would be looking at the upward move that took place on Friday before your plan to short at 1.305, which may not happen.

Looking too far into the future does not attract me. Perhaps, that is the difference between us.

Chartsy,
I read page1, then skipped to page10 and see that many comments surround your method and that it is rubbish because you have only taken 1 trade recently. Well their view is such pure tosh it is quite amazing how narrow minds can become. Good trading is boring. Good trading is dull. Good trading is about waiting. Have non of the fire spitters read anything about the greatest traders in the world? Chartsy, I take my hat off to you for sitting on the sidelines. It has been August after all and I bet you have made more than all the guys who scorn you because you havent lost anything...... i bet my money that the detractors are down on the month, trying to play the august chop. They are the idiots. Not you.

Chartsy,
I read page1, then skipped to page10 and see that many comments surround your method and that it is rubbish because you have only taken 1 trade recently. Well their view is such pure tosh it is quite amazing how narrow minds can become. Good trading is boring. Good trading is dull. Good trading is about waiting. Have non of the fire spitters read anything about the greatest traders in the world? Chartsy, I take my hat off to you for sitting on the sidelines. It has been August after all and I bet you have made more than all the guys who scorn you because you havent lost anything...... i bet my money that the detractors are down on the month, trying to play the august chop. They are the idiots. Not you.

As you wish, but I thought that Chartsy posted because things were not going so well for him. My mistake.

Reactions: D70
Chartsy,

I generally agree with that and I have said that earlier in the thread. It was good that Chartsy followed his system. However as things have gone on I'm a little unclear as to whether he actually has a defined system. It seems that he has some work to do....

Chartsy,

I think you're getting a bit too excited...strong words particularly if you have only read pages 1 and 10 of the thread, yet you feel entitled to brand all as idiots...nobody here is detracting from or scorning Chartsy.....in fact some posters are trying to give detailed assistance to the OP....and its up to Chartsy to consider this information, take it on board or not...

We all know that good trading is boring , waiting etc etc, but all the patience in the world is no use if the basic method is not working...

I think its even more damaging to be advising someone to blindly preserve with a method that does not appear to be working and is losing money, all in the name of patience and waiting ...particularly if you know nothing about his method...

....isnt constant re-evaluation a huge part of trading, - given a sufficient sample of trades over a given time period, is the method working or not ? if not then why not - is the problem with the rules or the implementation of the rules ? does the method suit current market conditions etc etc....

Its not about long term patient traders versus shorter term traders or scalpers....its about making money....if it isnt making money then its time to re-evaluate

Chartsy,

Strange sort of system that keeps Chartsy from profiting from some really good moves over July and August, and gets him into a single trade that he has to exit for a loss. Chartsy hasn't made money on this pair, in fact he has run a single, losing trade. He wasn't trying to sit on the sidelines waiting for increased volumes after the holidays, he has been trying to trade through the summer.

Chartsy might be a good trader, but this isn't good trading. You yourself might be a good trader, but you just haven't read and absorbed his position.