Basic Strategy

• Welcome to the newest version of Trade2Win! We're running on the latest version of, what we consider to be, the best forum software available today. Our aim was to keep things as familiar as possible but focus on improving speed, security and usability. We hope you like the result! Please post your questions, comments, suggestions and feedback in the What's New and Feedback Thread - Sharky.
Mar 31, 2006
Hi,

I realise this is an old thread, but the points raised are similar to a trading strategy I have been trying and incidentally failing with :( Incidentally I have been using many of the stocks listed here including AAL, RIO, and XTA. The problem I am having is that I am setting up stops a few point above/below previous resistance and support levels. In terms of profit of course as soon as the level is hit then that is the profit I am given. However, during times when the price has broken through previous S/R levels I am sometimes not getting closed out by IG index until several points beyond my stop (30 pts in one case) meaning it is near impossible to work out a risk reward ratio in advance, and subsequently meaning losses when they occur have exceeded gains.

In addition, does your method (inc. risk/reward calculation) account for the spread? For example these stocks have a spread of 9 pts.

Any help greatly appreciated from an increasingly despondant trader!

Karl

Oct 19, 2007
Thanks for the explanation, but I would also like to raise the issue of:

1. the buy & sell spread.
2. spread betting firms not executing trade & stop orders very efficiently.

are there ways of egtting around these?

Sep 28, 2009
Hi FTSE beater, was wondering if you were still around???