Party Politics...

I have almost the total opposite view to this. The more attractive politics becomes the more you are likely to get people wanting to be in it for personal gain. Also high salaries didn't make the CEOs of banks and many other organisations make better decisions did it ?

On the other hand if you made it unattractive to be a politician by making pay a maximum of £30K a year then you would increase the chance of getting those who really want to do something of value being interested in it.

Paul

ya , lol the government on the corporate payroll :LOL:

all this changing the party politics is missing the point entirely.
the population are to blame.
the problem is the people. politicians merely exacerbate an existing problem.

irrespective who is in power, society is only made successful by those engaging in it.

the under-educated population will insist on voting for cherry-picked policies that push the burden of having to change onto others, while they are affected the least.

If you are unwell, and go to the doctor, you take every medicine the doctor prescribes until you get better. you do not "decide" which medicine you prefer to take.
If you are hurt, and need surgery, you don't get to choose which surgical procedure is convenient for you; you undergo the full procedure the surgeon dictates.

Similarly, once the diagnosis is made on what society needs, the full gamut of policies need to be enacted, not the "nice" bits.

however, we also need to understand how we got to "here" from "there". what I mean is how the current structure of society evolved to where it is now.

I believe it is possible to blame feminism for all societies monetary, employment and social ills, as well as the loss of the british empire!!

no but you can blame the germans!

But on hung parliaments.... where labour and tory had 90%+ of the vote they now get more like 75-80%. the more this slide continues the more likely hung parliaments are going to happen in the future. With a completely revised system there is more allowance for the other parties. Hence thinking that people shouldnt vote for what their party wants but what is best for their constituents.

I also believe that a cabinet and PM would have to be somehow voted in as well. At the moment it happens as a matter of cause if one party gets more seats their leader becomes PM... that doesnt seems totally right to me...

I strongly agree with the Liberals that this "First Past the Post" voting system needs to be changed to a proportional representation system. If I am correct, certainly this current government had no overall majority (that is more people voted against them than for them), and possibly the last government too.

I also believe this country needs a written and codified constitution not this airy fairy bo*@&$!s that we have at the minute. Was Gordon Brown the elected PM...... NO!? who the f**k said Mandleson could be in the government!!?

:mad::mad::mad:

agreed, we should vote for our PM not the party so **** whits light one eye gordon brown cant swan into the office uninvited

I strongly agree with the Liberals that this "First Past the Post" voting system needs to be changed to a proportional representation system

If that happens there is a very strong chance that the BNP would have a large number of seats because every vote would now count, is this what you want ?

Paul

re. BNP: im sure that thats not what 'most' people want but then isnt politics about having someone in the decision making process that takes your point of view. if we had a proportional representation system and a few BNP did get seats then that would ultimately mean that they had supporters who weren’t getting a look in in the old system. How ever extreme or evil they may be how can we say that our rights to proper representation are more worthy than theirs? (though proportional rep was how the Nazis gained leaverage)

re. Medical Doctors giving prescriptions point from Trendie: I would totally agree with you, but doctors have undergone years of training and even young doctors who have undergone that training arent as well trusted because although they have the training they havent the experience. Would you take the medicine from someone who was untrained.... well this is the same economic medicine we receive from untrained doctor Darling.... I do agree with you on one point though. we need a good strong government that is willing to dole out some harsh medicine and will force people to take it, whether they like it or not, because its good for the country as a whole.

If that happens there is a very strong chance that the BNP would have a large number of seats because every vote would now count, is this what you want ?

Paul

Well I do not agree with the BNP what-so-ever, let me make that crystal clear to start with, under no circumstance do I share any views with that racist facist bunch of b****ds at all.

My next point is that some people do, and in a fair and democratic society that has it's whole basis on freedom of speech then they have a right to represent the people that do agree with them in Parliament. If that's how proportional representation works then so be it. As it stands, Gordon Brown is an un-ellected PM. That's another point, if Scotland has it's own Parliament then he can sod off back to where there want him.

My other point is......:confused: coming but in the morning when I'm sober

I must admit I have no idea as to the maths of proportional representation, I've had a quick look at wiki but I can't get the hang of it.

***note*** I've had a few beers and it's 2.30am on a Friday so a) this probably doesn't make much sense (note to self:check this in the morning) and b)wikipedia, maths, and beer don't mix.