Osama bin Laden American ally

ramjam

As is known, Osama bin Laden, a Saudi millionaire, was an American ally when his band of fundamentalists fought the Soviets in Afghanistan. It is the cynical use of these countries by Washington that built up a reservoir of resentment among large sections of their people against the US.

So what's new in the world, ramjam? Throught history countries of all ilks have allied themselves with other countries or groups which later become their enemies (or who were previously their enemies, or who were their enemies and who later become their enemies - all permutations in fact).

As for resentment, well it's always been easy for manipulative leaders to whip up hatred of the rich and powerful amongst those who feel deprived. Don't see many of those leaders strapping bombs to themselves though. Not likely!! Leave that to their brain-washed followers.

Like most countries, US foreign policy has a heavy dose of self-interest, but one might also reflect on their altruism which leads them to pump out a massive amount of aid and to interfere (maybe sometimes unwisely) against tyrannical regimes at some cost to their own people.

jon

aid

barjon please can you tell me the aid USA gives to rest of the world?

Please do not include the amount that it give to Israeli this year and last.

more latter.

barjon said:
So what's new in the world, ramjam? Throught history countries of all ilks have allied themselves with other countries or groups which later become their enemies (or who were previously their enemies, or who were their enemies and who later become their enemies - all permutations in fact).

As for resentment, well it's always been easy for manipulative leaders to whip up hatred of the rich and powerful amongst those who feel deprived. Don't see many of those leaders strapping bombs to themselves though. Not likely!! Leave that to their brain-washed followers.

Like most countries, US foreign policy has a heavy dose of self-interest, but one might also reflect on their altruism which leads them to pump out a massive amount of aid and to interfere (maybe sometimes unwisely) against tyrannical regimes at some cost to their own people.

jon

we could start with the Marshall Plan....which practically rebuilt Europe after the second world war...

the Arab world does not like the USA for one very simple reason: envy
envy of the US capacity for wealth creation

ramjam said:

more latter.
LOL. You've got it bad. No point arguing with this one Jon --- rational debate does not exist here :rolleyes:

ramjam said:

more latter.

ramjam

2004 $18,999 million

ramjam

Figures from OECD:

2001 - $10.884 billion
2002 - $12.9 billion
2003 - $15.791 billion
2004 - $18.999 billion

jon

Have the Arabs been trying to push out the Israelis for the past 50 years? Who started the 6 day war?

Millsy

2004 it was $4 billion and $3 billion went to Israeli.

Ramjam

What is wrong with that mate ?

The Americans obviously like the Israelis and what's a mere US$ 3 billion between friends ?

Money obviously well spent.

palistans

millsy500 said:
Have the Arabs been trying to push out the Israelis for the past 50 years? Who started the 6 day war?

Millsy

who gave them the land in the first place ?

was is not the palistans who gave them the land at the end of the second world war.

No it wasn't. The palistans (who are these people?) didn't give them anything. And the 6 day war wasn't started by palistans (of any spelling).

And the poor old Jordanians wouldn't have lost the West Bank if they hadn't believe their friends assurances of support :)

And just in case you are going to do that one next - the jews didn't hire "arabs" to run planes into the world trade center.

The strange thing is the question of whether the jews pushed the palistinians to leave or (Leon Uris version) whether they left because their village leaders told them to (after promises from the hierachy and some arab states perhaps).

I personally know a number of moslem and christian Israelis whose families chose to stay but whose cousins families chose to leave. One group go to Israeli universities and even represent them internationally in sporting and other situtations. The other group are better known.

The world is not a simple place :)

Kiwi

ramjam said:
As is known, Osama bin Laden, a Saudi millionaire, was an American ally when his band of fundamentalists fought the Soviets in Afghanistan. It is the cynical use of these countries by Washington that built up a reservoir of resentment among large sections of their people against the US.

Where did you copy and paste this from? These are not your words obviously, because as we have seen you are unable to write one single correct English sentence (of any length) on your own.

Oh and pretty much all of what you say is pure, total and unadulterated cr*p of the highest quality, but then I don't like communists and fundamentalists, so I am probably biased.

ramjam said:

So what do you think ramjam ? Maybe we should give more aid to extremists so they can make more bombs to blow us up on trains and buses? Lovely people !

Last edited by a moderator:
Or does he mean Plant Stands ?

You can get some nice ones in my local garden centre.

Ramjam, please clarify this point because the whole argument is in danger of grinding to a halt or taking an incorrect direction.