'No indicators' revisited

A little nervous at exposing my complete lack of knowledge on this forum, but I'd appreciate your comments.

I'm not trading at the moment, just learning. Following the advice by everyone here, I selected just one stock at random yesterday to see if I could 'see' for myself what you might be talking about.

I probably should keep quiet a while longer, but feel direct involvement would be more helpful - for me, anyway.

On the 5 minute chart for SPY, I noticed there was increasing volume with each downward move until about 18:35.

Then there was a long white candle with a low at the previous low, but a high above any of the previous 6 bars. More importantly, I think, is that it is the first upward move that has been accompanied by increasing volume since the trading session started.

Nothing dramatic happened immediately, but it does from that point rise upward to finish 40 points up from that large white candle on higher volume.

I did follow this as it happened, honestly, but it's much easier to see it in retrospect.

My questions are; am I being too simplistic with this interpretation, is it a correct interpretation and am I discussing this in the right place?

11:48 - Edited to replace image black background/red volume bars with blue background/white volume bars.

Attachments

• SPY-MAY-27.JPG
    SPY-MAY-27.JPG
    95.5 KB · Views: 374
Last edited:
GirlPower, a small request..... those that are colourblind, myself included, will not be able to see the red volume bars on a black background....

china white said:
Socrates, many thx for such detailed explanation.

What u said "At or around tops, volume, depending on what hat it is wearing, may be causative or subjective. Tops may have lo vol that lead to collapses, They may have hi vol that lead to collapses" was exactly what i was suspecting :). I really think I shud watch the volume patterns on ES (which is 80% of what i am trading now) longer and more closely to be able to master them to perfection. MY PSYCOLOGICAL PROBLEM is that I tend to view any set of volume bars as if they pertained to some illiquid UK tech stock - where I fully agree the game is completely different.

Well I hv to admit mastering the price action was loads easier - since it is the same thing for ES and Beckham Technologies :). Well - as I said many times - my hat off 2 u dark siders and I will not rest until I am fluent in your language :)

In the meantime, many thx for your input and help.... my path in trading has perhaps bn very different from yours, but I am sure the roads to perfection eventually converge.... :)

Bonjorno Signorina, there are further volumetric features for you to consider. Ishall come back to you later, first I am going to help Felicity, Ciao chi vediamo subito.

GirlPower said:
A little nervous at exposing my complete lack of knowledge on this forum, but I'd appreciate your comments.

I'm not trading at the moment, just learning. Following the advice by everyone here, I selected just one stock at random yesterday to see if I could 'see' for myself what you might be talking about.

I probably should keep quiet a while longer, but feel direct involvement would be more helpful - for me, anyway.

On the 5 minute chart for SPY, I noticed there was increasing volume with each downward move until about 18:35.

Then there was a long white candle with a low at the previous low, but a high above any of the previous 6 bars. More importantly, I think, is that it is the first upward move that has been accompanied by increasing volume since the trading session started.

Nothing dramatic happened immediately, but it does from that point rise upward to finish 40 points up from that large white candle on higher volume.

I did follow this as it happened, honestly, but it's much easier to see it in retrospect.

My questions are; am I being too simplistic with this interpretation, is it a correct interpretation and am I discussing this in the right place?

Good morning Felicity,

What you must cultivate, is the ability to sort out what applies and what does not. I will explain how you do this.

The most imporatant part in the whole excercise is the mental posture that you adopt
when looking at a chart.. This, for the reckless and impatient seems an arcane
statement.

Because all of this is abstract and intangible, it is sometimes very difficult to explain in one go.

You must not look at a chart as a flat inert thing.

You must consider what you see in the chart to have more than one dimension, as if what you are looking at is a solid, with depth to it as well.

Therefore you must cultivate the ability to look INTO and not AT, in order to get INTO IT and not be AT IT, like a passer by looking at a poster on the wall, You want to be IN the poster, not out of it. Are you able to get my drift so far ?

When you are able to do this, it is as if you are inside it, as part of what is going on, now not as an observer but as a participant, do you see ?

You now evolve from being a baffled observer to being an intuitively empowered participant, and it does not matter what size you are dealing, alongside all the other participants, some v small, others huge, rather like being on the motorway in a passenger car and sharing the road with motorbikes, vans, buses, heavy lorries, cesspool emptiers, cement mixers, ambulances, fire engines, tankers, jeeps,and other passenger cars.

You are all motorists aren't you ?

You are either going in one direction or another aren't you ? The key thing is that you have to be AWARE ot he traffic, but the traffic itself does not prevent you from reaching your destination, but you must be AWARE of the behaviour of other motorists in order to get home safely as you originally planned.

Therefore what you must concentrate on is developing an awareness of what is happening and what to do about it, within a living organism that has dimensions instead of a map, which is just flat.

Now let us go to your chart. At 1815 after a sharp fall, you will see that the red candle has a long bottom tail and the volume is not insignificant. This has to be buying. Now look carefully to see what happens next. There is a bit of volatility. But look carefully again. Look...There is a reluctance to drop below 12300, is there not ? Why is this ? The price is being prevented from falling below this level, but allowed to "flirt" with it. This is because some buying is underpinnig the support. Now we see that prices begin to lift. But they don't lift conclusively, do they ? It all looks very half hearted, it is a "pretend" sort of rise si it not ?

The clue is the spreads are very narrow, because there is not any urgency to take the price up, also the volume is diminishing rapidly. This shows us that there is a RELUCTANCE to take prices higher. There is no appreciable response.If rhere is no response prices cannot go higher in a meaningful way that would encourage us to participate. They go no higher than 12600. There is a ceiling on this action, no amount of banging against this ceiling can encourage participation. Therefore this is weakness, is it not ?

The volume at the bottom of the first red bar at 1815 is not enough to stop the fall dead in its tracks, even at the bottom of this candle, more weakness is anticipated and so after a minor reversal as described prices are now ready to be marked down again. the down bars are more defined, more "destinctive" than the up bars, do you not agree ? They are more we can say "decisive" is the correct way to explain. Now we can begin tio perceive that the market is beginning to "talk" to us, trying to tell us something............

Ah ! Civilians visiting - back in a few minutes........

Right, I'm back. Now do you understand that at this juncture we are changing our posture ;
our intellectual posture from a flat view to a sort of dimensional understanding. At the same time we are working to invoke intuitive input.

This intuitive input "tells us" "makes us aware of""warns us" that the nature of the volume is changing to and fro, from causative to mixing to subjective and this intuitive input which is part of being in it instead of at at it causes us to "KNOW" rather than to guess.

Thereforethis is the is difference between KNOWING in the way that I describe through the route I have shown against fumbling about with mechanical difficulties which is textbook stuff, often tedious and not very well explained.

In this new mental mode we have engaged, everything suddenly goes BOOF ! ,,,,,and becomes much clearer, and the more we work at this clarity the clearer it becomes.

Look at the chart again. At 1755 after a gradual falling offf in the volume the price hits a new low at 112100 precisely, at the bottom of the bottom shadow ot the red candle. For the price to fall so steeply to such an even number and stop dead and reverse shows it is a marker.

If you are tuned you can now perceive that the volume attributable to this red candle started off being causative and finished by being subjective in that the last bit of volume within the timeframe from the bootom of the tail (absolute bottom)to the closeis the consequence of change in price behaviour and NOT the other way round.This is because at that level the price cannot be allowed to fall any further. Its subsequent recovery from the bottom ot the tail to the close is the result of it being lifted. Do you follow closely what i mean ? Good !

Now observe that the marker at 112100 is no accident, it is a significant, (for the chart and timeframe in use) support level. Its clarity is made more obvious later. But the main clue has already been shown. The unravelling of the riddle is through the route I have described above,
which requires the evolvement of a special kind of thinking and a special way of approaching
the problem, with delicate tools ~ not jumbo sized spanners and club hammers, do you follow ? good.

Now we are able to perceive the INTENT more clearly.

112100 is touched 4 times and not penetrated downwards, this means that lower prices are not interesting, to the contrary, it is higher prices that are in the offing.

We now see that prices take off in a northerly direction happily bouncing on their way up, with very little effort required,
because whereas on the bottom , the volume has alternated between being causative and subjective , now it is subjective all the way up. This is obvious.

The volume that appears is not driving the price. Not at all.

It is appearing as a result of the herd now suddenly realising that prices are drifting up, the falls are over, and they are joinng in, creating a cause for the next move.Therefore the appearance of higher prices and the expectation of further improvement is what is attracting the volume and not the other way round. Do you understand this more clearly now? Good ! Excellent !

All these rises and falls are repeated, the move is beginning to gather a life of its own ~ it is too early to say it is gathering momentum, because this will not happen until a trend can be established ~ it is too soon for that, but it is now going up as a controlled rise, and that's OK.,
for most practical purposes of ordinary trading.

That is all.

Last edited:
How would you read this

You have probably gone over this before so I apologise in advance if I am going over old ground.

I noticed a move today. We had a small doji on tiny volume with the open and close on the previous open. I just had a zero line cross on the tick which I view as bullish. Also, with the market in a range between the days high and days low with a pivot around the previous open I would go long with a view of trying to reach the HOD.

How would the Dark Siders play it. What secret is in the black magic box.

Attachments

• Dow 5min376.png
    Dow 5min376.png
    86.4 KB · Views: 385
Hi stoploss,

That's a doji on the 5 minute, the two bars before that point in time on my ES chart on the 10 minute is a doji and the dow also made a double bottom, as it's the most bearish of the 3 major indexes today.

Nice and simple trade setup, without the tick and macd :p

extremely low volume today, had my butt handed to me in the morning twice.

stoploss please said:
You have probably gone over this before so I apologise in advance if I am going over old ground.

I noticed a move today. We had a small doji on tiny volume with the open and close on the previous open. I just had a zero line cross on the tick which I view as bullish. Also, with the market in a range between the days high and days low with a pivot around the previous open I would go long with a view of trying to reach the HOD.

How would the Dark Siders play it. What secret is in the black magic box.

Dear Stoploss,
If you were looking at the unfolding of events in real time instead of grappling with all these
gadgets, you would have immediately clocked that 3 bars before the one you mention
was a down bar. The one that follows it is an up bar/ The volume on the down bar is
heavier than the volume on the up bar.

The first bar is clearly buying otherwise the bar that follows would not go up and close higher.

BTW, I take it these are 5 min bars,

Now, go back to 1025 bar which touches 1111760(?), and recoils. The volume here is not low.
The next few bars are up, on declining volume. This is quite obvious.
What is happening here is selling on tops and buying on bottoms.

Again at 150 there is a sharp dropdown to the same level and it again recovers, here the volume is less.

It is quite obvious that these are two attempts to buy what is available.

Notice that all subsequent dropdowns are at higher price levels.

This goes on until the last dropdown at 1335, and then prices go up.until 1435. This is an
up bar, on higher volume than the bar that follows.

The conclusion to be derived from all of this is that the price action is rangebound.

This is further qualified by the fact that all of this is gapped down from the previous close,,
in which are trapped lots of people at higher prices. It may be feared that a sudden move north would cause all these to become sellers at higher prices, which would be an undesireable scenario.

The only way to circumvent this supply/demand problem would be to gap up and jump the barrier. The market action does not appear to be strong enough to do so immediately.
So, it is bound to remain rangebound for the time present until conditions change.

And that is what is in the magic box,
nothing more, nothing less,
and unless something develops unexpectedly to the contrary,
it will go up, but not yet.

Be mindful that the above in no way constitutes investment advice and should not be construed as such. It is purely an excercise in technical analysis and futurology.

And for now, that is all.

Last edited:
stoploss please said:
Socrates

You know your stuff m8.

Cheers

I am pleased you like it, to your benefit and my satisfaction.

I thank you.

Last edited:
Nice post Socrates - very impressive. Welcome to the elite club of Skim, China, CM, A320, sandpiper & Stoploss:)

Last edited:
I have to agree with you Mombasa. There are numerous contributors to this thread who impress greatly.

The more open and obvious are appreciated by most. Even those who sometimes cloud their knowledge and wisdom with distractions of style are worth a second look.

truly honoured to be mentioned alongside those ppl, all of whom I hold in great respect not just for excellence in trading, but also for willingness to share their styles and ideas.

mombasa said:
Nice post Socrates - very impressive. Welcome to the elite club of Skim, China, CM, A320, sandpiper & Stoploss:)

Thank you Mombasa, I am honoured.
Now I am looking to see whether this can be taken higher.

interesting socrates. do u have a rule of thumb that helps spot engineered moves? will u share it?

TheBramble said:
I have to agree with you Mombasa. There are numerous contributors to this thread who impress greatly.

The more open and obvious are appreciated by most. Even those who sometimes cloud their knowledge and wisdom with distractions of style are worth a second look.

I am pleased you like it Bramble.
There is no clouding.
I explain things very clearly indeed.
The difficulty is that we are dealing with abstract concepts.
The public is accustomed to dealing with tangible realities, which are real to them.
To fully benefit from intangibles, different thought processes are required, which are beyond the remit of most ordinary people. Please understand that this is not demeaning or otherwise
but a fact of nature, and as a result of conditioning as well.
Thus very few master these processes, as the effort is too great and the need not understood.
Tthe route is difficult, unfamiliar, uncomforatble, unnatural, very long and requires enormous sustained effort of the highest order.
Very few dare to dare. Very few can be chosen, because very few qualify in the first instance.
Even fewer can succeed.
Of course it cannot be popular mainstream, and then, only when it is fully
mastered from A ~ Z, that intangibles and abstracts can be reverse
engineered and become tangible realities.
Now this everybody is able to understand, but not the former, because anyone can understand and accept what a tangible reality is, anyone, because it is mainstream, but not what is not.
I will show you what is meant by all this in the weeks and months that follow as I propose to take it truly stratospheric, because I can.
Thanks again for your kind appreciation.

Last edited:
SOCRATES said:
I will show you what is meant by all this in the weeks and months that follow as I propose to take it truly stratospheric, because I can.
Thanks again for your kind appreciation.

Hi SOCRATES,

I am eagerly waiting for it. :cheesy:

Thirteen said:
interesting socrates. do u have a rule of thumb that helps spot engineered moves? will u share it?

This is the wrong thread to post this kind of question in.
This thread is devoted to the the dark side of trading not the type of trading assisted by indicators.
On the dark side, we do not use indicators at all.
We use faculties that indicators cannot touch.
These faculties enable us to react to unfolding scenarios, that develop and may change in a flash, from one second to the next.. Therefore no rule of thumb exists. There can be thousands of scenarios to which there can be one of four responses, which are long participation, short participation exit or abstention altogether. Each case is different and it is a judgement call.
This requires split second response, so fast, that often there is no time to explain it while it is happening and frequently it is so elusive it cannot be reconstructed after the event sufficiently accurately in order to fully explain and illustrate the several components of thought conscious and subconscious that are fused together to "know" or not "know" . The key is "knowing", more than consciously thinking about it. Therefore a list cannot be made of potentially thousands of different scenarios because that is impossible. That is why darksiding is not easy.In fact most find it an impossible mission. You are better off with indicatorial trading, than trying to venture in here, since indicatorial trading allows you the luxury of relying on conscious thought without having intangibly to multitask very fast at astronomically high levels of cognition and awareness. In addition to the above see post 701. Thanx.

Last edited:
13 -

Do you mean a manipulated move or a contrived move when you say engineered?

Thats a very broad subject and can occur on intraday charts as well as daily charts. It also varies from market to market - currency markets are always being manipulated or engineered by governments for example.

The reasons why people engineer moves are obvious. How to spot it? Thats also hard (for me) and you can never be sure what you see is genuine or not, but things that may help are as follows -

After a market has been trending for some time, then goes in to a long period of consolidation, there is often another move in the prevailing direction before the previous trend moves. This is an engineered move by those who want the stock that has been accumulated (or distributed) during the consolidation.

Look at Thursdays intraday chart of FLML. Before that massive move, notice a definite downtrend in what was a quiet market. This occurred after the breakout had occurred. That marking down of price could well have been engineered - although not too successful as a premium was paid for the stock after that massive institutional order had been filled.

For me, its generally easier to spot an engineered move after than before the event, as in my experience - you never really know what someone elses true intension's are - especially in a transparent market. They can happen on light volume or large volume. They are usually followed by a move with a lot of velocity that can take people by surprise.

Maybe others here know better??...

SOCRATES said:
This requires split second response, so fast, that often there is no time to explain it while it is happening and frequently it is so elusive it cannot be reconstructed after the event sufficiently accurately in order to fully explain and illustrate the several components of thought conscious and subconscious that are fused together to "know" or not "know".

This is interesting because I've never known anyone else be able to describe this phenomenon that comes with trading on the dark side. I can't describe it in a way that anyone else would understand - you just 'know' if it's OK because it 'feels' right. When it's not OK I just sense it, but could never explain more than "it just doesn't feel right." I suppose it's just a case of being 'in tune' with the market, and this only comes after sitting and watching it in realtime for months on end; an arduous task in itself.

I shall look forward to seeing how you unravel the mysteries. :D

13- as another thought, do you think the new proud owner of those FLML shares is going to be willing to see the price fall? If price does drift down, they may well support the market - this could be thought of as manipulation as they are engineering a support level. There is no news that suggests the move is fundamental. These guys are in it for profit (maybe? It could have just been a massive hedge against their 'real' position elsewhere) They want to see the price go higher - they may well throw in a few more to initiate this move. Either way, prices MAY move higher on FLML next week.

Of course, another way to look at this move is that the move up could just have been to sucker everyone in to thinking price is heading for the moon. It is a bit obvious isnt it. Maybe the price is destined to go 20000 leagues under the sea?

Maybe we shouldnt concern ourselves overly as to whether a move is 'engineered' or not as we will NEVER know the true intension's.

Trade What You See! No opinions, no theories, just do it!