New Technical Trader Forum

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is unneccessarily, and I fully intend to spellcheck that, devisive. Making any such area read only SURELY ensures that nutter postings are minimised, without offending the majority of users - with all due respect, if I'm not even fit to read the posts then let me know - I'll react appropriately!
I would guess that newbies are turning up regularly, attracted by the promise of a sensible board where much can be learned from old hands... you've just told the lot of them to **** ***. PLEASE reconsider this, the ability to read yet not post without membership will ensure nobody taints the forum, surely?
Another point I'd like to make is this - this is a BBS for all comers, if you want a private area only the invited few can even read, then go pay one of the countless hosting services for a site where a BBS of your very own is a mere mouse click away - you can have your own domain, website, and BBS for free - so why exactly are you sticking it on T2W?
Dave

Bigbusiness said:

This facility has been around as long as I have been a member of TTW. I think that Grey1 should not take the rap for using it. It is also a good point that Mr. Charts doesn't share much with us without asking for a large fee, why should Grey1 share all his knowledge with people who are not willing to do the same?

This post started me thinking that maybe Grey was quite entitled to host his own private thread without any outsiders viewing the posts. But why tell all the members that you're having a party and that they're not invited ?

Next time, perhaps you'll only announce the new forum to those you've invited.

I vote he gets 10 pts for inciting the proletariat !

I thought a quant is a long pole for pushing sailing boats along on days when there is no wind- mostly used in Norfolk Broads. I'm never too old to learn tho.

Hey, were talking about Mary here ! Show some respect lads? She's a local girl too. :D

Cheers

Mayfly

Sharkey,

It would be well worth making all private forums read only for everybody so all can read and learn from them.

Otherwise, why should I post messages that everyone can read, when others are not doing the same for me?

Looking forward to some clarification on this,

cheers,
Pete

This post started me thinking that maybe Grey was quite entitled to host his own private thread without any outsiders viewing the posts. But why tell all the members that you're having a party and that they're not invited ?

I have to agree with you. In very poor taste. I was in the same situation a long time ago.... everyone knew about the party, except me. I did get an invite, eventually, but when I went in , the party was all but over. :(

Thanks everyone for your views on this topic, I've read each and every one plus pms and emails, and I can quite honestly say I had no idea it would cause such a passionate debate. But it's encouraging in a way, that members of the forum feel so strongly about the decisions the site is seen to make.

As I said before this facility has been around for anyone to use for ages, and it was intended as an invitation for members to have a go at running their own forums. There have been no requirements and no restrictions except that the forum should either be about trading or appeal to a wide audience, for example Mark's football forum.

Those who have been with the site for a few years now will know that the site is continually adapting and evolving. New features being added, not so successful features removed - but with always the focus being on trying to improve the site. I concede it's not been an easy ride, and I doubt it will get any easier - but I strongly believe as long as good intentions are there, the site will continue to prevail and flourish.

So all I am saying really is, I can see both sides of the argument of having private forums - members have quite eloquently pointed these out. Let me reassure you the main focus of the forums, has and always will be the many public forums that we host - which is in keeping with the very nature of the site, as an open community where we constantly invite members to contribute whether its via the forums, reviews, journals, interviews, awards etc.

I'm prepared to 'wait and see' what impact if any having a private forum has on the site. If I consider it detrimental then I will have no hesitation in changing the requirements on member forums. Since the forum in question has only been open a day or two it's impossible for me to tell, although the feedback from members is very helpful. I consider a two week period sufficient to determine this impact, as I have no intention of making any rash decision. I would only ask that members have faith in me to continue to make decisions which are in the best interests of the site.

ok ,so i havnt started my career here as a seasoned poster,ive been lurking for a month to get a flavour.nobody knows who i am,have i ten years trading experience and made my millions,maybe ,maybe not.....does it matter...maybe ....should it matter... definetly not.what i see reminds me of every forum on the internet,those who like to feel important and those with humility to teach all without prejudice.it also reminds me of every tennis club ive ever played at....full of the ole school cliques.what is expected of a new member here with years of experience and knowledge to share?....i say knowledge is for everyone...do they have to serve there time before an invite to this club.grey and others ...im sure i could teach you a thing or two about trading as you could me.what about newbies to trading...you never know you might just learn something from them...you can go stale you know....especially if you become arrogant.so why am i venting....cause this is nothing short of an ego trip...a country club as one put it....would i ever want to be a part of it...no chance....knowledge is for everyone.

to sharky.....there is zero excuse not to share this forum information with everyone.the question as to the exclusivity has never been answered here.this will lead to a premiership and div 1 mentality.them and us.not cool.private debates ...fine...but not sharing knowledge...sorry no excuse.smacks of pure EGO im afraid.so you have a private football board...put that within a football forum setting and youd have the same feelings.a private trading board within a board doesnt cut.

finally ...there are some really cool people on these boards...humilty and knowledge...step forward CHARTMAN i salute you for youre willingness to help all with ZERO ego.

there is no place for elitism in any walks of life....share the wealth.there is also not one valid reason not to allow all to read the board.grey,sharky i challenge you to give one way reading a forum could be detrimental to its contents.....if you can i stand corrected. cheers mark j

Nice to see everyone expressing their feelings openly and constructively.

I for one am not bothered about whether someone as a private forum or not. I am not particularly interested if people want to separate themselves in this fashion it is happening all around me all the time. Within the work place, at home and even at my church.

I have remained on this BB because there are a few good and genuine people that are willing to go out of their way to help you.

Until those people leave I will remain to contribute and help out whenever I can.

Apart from the few posts that turns up from time to time from ignorant posters I can't see this BB being spoiled in anyway by Grey1 having is own private board.

The people that have always been around helping people are not about to disappear to the private forum and leave newbies to wonder around aimlessly.

These few people have always been helping others because they know their methods work - they don't need to sell it- as they are already making money. And they get great satisfaction out of seeing others become profitable traders through their help.

Strange as it may seem - there are people who get great satisfaction out of this.

All the very best to newbies and professionals alike.

For those who feel compelled to view the Technical forum, perhaps the following extract from the Site mentioned by Mayfly will prepare you for the cultural shock:-

"Sobol sequences are based on a set of direction numbers , V_j = m_j/2^j where the m_j's are integers generated by a recurrence relationship using some primitive polynomials in a galois field.
"Bromleys paper"

As far as discrepancy in a unit hypercube is concerned if you draw numbers for n dimensional cube , in the n+1 th dimension the numbers may fail many of the spectral tests.

The Sobolsequence library i guess is consistent upto 370 dimensions and hence the name."

Ho Hum.....

mr.marcus,

I find some of your comments interesting and so will comment specifically on them:

ive been lurking for a month to get a flavour.

You joined in August that is 5 months ago and not one, your contribution to date is 2 posts.

im sure i could teach you a thing or two about trading as you could me

Same as above, why wait 5 months to give us your contribution then ?

..you never know you might just learn something from them...you can go stale you know

There is no intention of "only posting" in the new forum. Your posts implys that members of the new forum would not bother reading or contributing to the rest of the board which is patently not the case so there is no case to say that we will somehow go stale.

would i ever want to be a part of it...no chance....knowledge is for everyone.

Well at 2 posts every 5 months I am not sure that your contribution will be missed too much.

there is zero excuse not to share this forum information with everyone

If the alternative is that Grey1 decided to leave and not to contribute again then in my view this is a much better option.

there is no place for elitism in any walks of life

Interesting point that one, are you saying that you do not want to be in the same position as the 5% of traders who consistently take money off the other 95% ? Is that not elitism ?

The board itself is not elitist, it just allows a much more in depth discussion of certain issues.

Paul

ok enough people - we are getting in to ripping each other apart again and this is unfortunately what is wrong with this board.

What is done is done.There are probably more Private forums out there but have just chose not to annonce it.

Lets move on please before we all self destruct.

Please lets focus efforts on trading now cos this is going nowhere

Thanks

Splurge

...nice one trader333..unfortunately due to a illness ive been in and out of hospital ....had 3 operations in the last 4-5 months...so theres youre answer my friend.i had every intention of contributing when i first joined by poo happens as they say. cheers anyway mark j

mr.marcus,

I stand corrected and look forward to your ongoing contributions.

Paul

I've stated the T2W postition on this, and the views of members have been put forward. Splurge is right, any continued debate on the subject is only likely to cause conflict. Therefore I'm closing this thread for the time being, and will re-open it again in a couple of weeks for an update. If you have something yet to say, please private message or email me your comments. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.