my journal 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, establishing a new rule.

All like before but now this rule: if it's unprofitable after 2 week, I close it. If it's profitable, I keep it open for 4 weeks.

Starting from this game below:

Snap1.jpg

Now like this: 2 weeks if unprofitable, otherwise 6 weeks.

Snap10.jpg

I think I am getting there. I need hammers on support. That's all I'll be looking for. Or (novice) gaps down on support.

It didn't go well at all. I don't even feel like finishing it. Maybe I was lucky earlier.

This will be the last one I will post for a while. From now on I will just post the best ones, and mention how they happened and how frequently they're happening. I am tired of posting all the bad results, which I don't know yet why they're happening.

I've been posting to make a commitment and make myself try harder. But since i'd try anyway, I'll only post the good ones from now on, because otherwise this would be just interfering with my practice (having to post pictures all the time).

So here is my last crappy 10 trades.

Snap11.jpg

In case I change the rules, I'll come and write it.

Right now the rule is: LONG only and 2 weeks if unprofitable, otherwise 6 weeks.

It's interesting how it keeps bouncing on round numbers, in particular 10 and 100, regardless of the stock.

Ok, I am satisfied. The two weeks limit to unprofitable trades is working...!

The "6 weeks if profitable after two weeks" is also working!

The LONG only is allowing me to focus on the most probable direction and at the same time not going crazy with all the ups and downs.

I am mostly looking for hammers on important support levels, but occasionally and increasingly I've been learning to play (resistance) breakouts.

Snap1.jpg

Last edited:
Ok, I am satisfied. The two weeks limit to unprofitable trades is working...!

The "6 weeks if profitable after two weeks" is also working!

The LONG only is allowing me to focus on the most probable direction and at the same time not going crazy with all the ups and downs.

I am mostly looking for hammers on important support levels, but occasionally and increasingly I've been learning to play (resistance) breakouts.

View attachment 74278

Have you checked to see if there is any relationship with your profits and the time period e.g. 2003-2005 or 1998-2000?

Well, this guy, Matt, the creator of the chart game, is a genius, so I don't think he put the same period in every chart (e.g.: 2004). Besides, I've been looking at these charts and they're all totally different. in that they don't all go up and down at once. I am always playing the fourth year and by now I would have noticed. Unless you know/read something I didn't, please don't spoil my satisfaction by insinuating the doubt that I have memorized all charts or that they all go up. On top of this, don't forget that I am only going long for 6 weeks. It's not like I just open up a chart and go long from the beginning to the end.

To answer directly your question: no, I haven't checked. But I don't think I am being helped in any way by rising stocks or by stocks moving in similar ways. However, I've downloaded the genesis software so once I am done with this (if I ever will have figured it out, which would be an excellent achievement for me), I will use the genesis software to test my skills on all sorts of futures and timeframes (even intraday).

After all this, a great great step ahead, if I will be done, will have been made. However, real trading doesn't go as fast as I want, but usually slower. On the other hand, the confidence developed here can only benefit me. What IB's paper trading account was always missing was the possibility of playing and trading historical data, and possibly speeding it up. I never realized the markets were so boring because they were slow. They're difficult because they're slow. If you can speed them up, they become much more interesting and learnable. It's as if I was doing exercises and handing them in, and my professor gave me the answer only 3 months later. I mean: you make your bet... betting your balls most of the time... and you have to wait relatively a long time to find out if it was the right bet. Yes, you can play the intraday chart, even the one minute candles... but those are not as easy to analyze or rather... commissions and spread eliminate your edge, and discourage you from learning: plus... losing money is something else that hampers your learning. But if you don't lose real money and if you can speed them up, I am starting to think that trading can be learned just like a video game.

Last edited:
However, real trading doesn't go as fast as I want, but usually slower. On the other hand, the confidence developed here can only benefit me. What IB's paper trading account was always missing was the possibility of playing and trading historical data, and possibly speeding it up. I never realized the markets were so boring because they were slow. They're difficult because they're slow. If you can speed them up, they become much more interesting and learnable

That's an interesting comment. I agree that sometimes it can be hard to sit on your hands. I find that in quiet markets I sometimes increase leverage and then the markets go crazy... and for some reason always against you.

A friend of mine had a crazy mother. She claimed that if the speed limit were 200kph it would be a safer place as you would be completely on the ball, and any mistake would kill you! Some truth in the focus aspect of her argument... the trick is to maintain emotions under control when nothing is happening. After all, with the 4-year timeframe and some leverage, you could be making an easy 200% / year!

Yeah, I'll see how it goes. I've not been getting good results in the last few tests. I'll keep trying with the mentioned method (only long, and 2/6 weeks if unprofitable/profitable after 2 weeks).

Yes, I am convinced they're slow. I am glad you agree. For example the only time trading seems easy to me is at 7.30 CST, when the news is released, and the markets move 10 times as fast. Isn't that what everyone means when they say that volatility is great for a trader? I think so. For example, the CL is very volatile, and it's the least boring. Actually, the CL is an exception: it's not boring at all. It's almost never boring, and instead it is scary by how fast it moves.

back to only 5 trades in a row

Back to just 5 trades in a row. I am realizing more and more that by the time I get to my tenth trade, I am sick and tired of stressing about which trades to make. Optimal would be just one trade at a time, and one day apart, but that wouldn't be a good measure of my method. So I'll go ahead and make 5 trades in a row, and start writing it here when I don't miss any more 5-trade series and I am always profitable at them.

If I'll manage to stay focused and thus profitable for a series of 5 trades, it will be a good achievement, because usually, within 5 trades (in paper trading and real trading), this is what happens to me:

1) totally focused and balanced, and neutral on the market: almost always succeed
2) "hey, this is easy" attitude: more likely to miss
3) if I didn't miss trade #2, then "hey, I got it all figured out" attitude
4) by the fourth trade, I've missed one trade for sure, so it's the "you mother ****ers" attitude
5) by the fifth trade, I've missed two trades, and it's the desperate "I can't afford to lose on this one" attitude: stoplosses are now out of the picture

I don't mean that it has to be one trade per day, but usually that's how long it takes me to reboot my mind. The most I could dare is 2 trades, many hours apart from one another.

This of course only applies to discretionary trading, because if and when I have a univocal method ("trading system"), then of course I can make as many trades as that method allows me. However I only have methods that trade once a day, and they're all automated already (yet have a bigger drawdown than my one-trade-a-day discretionary trading).

I don't know why I've never implemented the one-daily-trade policy before. I am confident it works, but pretty soon, after seeing how well it works, one way or another, I abolish that rule, and I start making two trades, then three, then pretty soon I am out of control and give back all my gains. It's really hard to see all these opportunities go by. However the only good ones are the ones I pick on my first or second trade per day. The others make me return everything I've made on the first one/two trades.

Last edited:
Usually by my 5th trade I get addicted to the market (especially when trading with real money, but also with paper trading) and my eyes are those of someone on drugs. I stop thinking and start clicking "BUY" or "SELL" on impulse.

Here's what I am going to do: force myself to only make 1 trade per stock, so that will be a way to reboot my mind and to force myself to miss some opportunities and to not get into a trading frenzy.

So the new method will be (similar to an earlier one):

1) on the weekly chart of "chart game", one trade per stock on 5 stocks for a total of 5 trades (only LONG trades allowed)
2) if unprofitable after two weeks close trade
3) if profitable after two weeks, close after 6 weeks

Also, similar to an earlier method, I will force myself to post every single 5-trade series I played, whether good or bad, so this will somewhat force me to get serious about every single game.

Way to go!

Not only did I not exceed one trade per stock. I even waited so long as to skip a few stocks that didn't look good. Result: 3 good trades out of 5, with a huge profit, since on one of the losses, I lost nothing, and on the other 3 wins I made more than on the only one real loss.

Very satisfied and very tired. If this is what it takes to be profitable, it worth it though. However it would be very very hard to do this in real time, since real money is at stake, and a week does not go by with one click. However, if I have found a way to be profitable here, with all these rules and filters, this deserves more attention, in order to see what I do (in picking bottoms) and systemise it.

Right now I can say that i look for these things:
1) extremely oversold conditions
2) one candle of confirmation or at least uncertainty with regards to the previous downtrend (i never enter on a red candle, but also the confirmation doesn't allow a candle to be so big and green that the market becomes overbought)
3) All this happens on a previous level of support (which often was previous resistance)

Snap2.jpg

It will take me hours before I can reboot my mind and do this again. Maybe even tomorrow. But I absolutely want to do it and want to get good and profitable at least at one type of discretionary trading.

In terms of risk/reward and probability of wins, I've done more or less what all my systems do, and I even do with discretionary trading (when I only trade once a day): a slight majority of wins, and a bigger average win.

the market is moved by a consenus of edges

Hey, kind of interesting what I did with the system above.

I summed up 4 different types of edges or more:
1) RSI ("extremely oversold")
2) Support/resistance
3) Moving averages ("some kind of confirmation or uncertainty with regards to previous trend")
4) "LONG only trades": knowledge that stocks go more up than down (that's why people say "Buy and hold" but not "sell and hold")
5) Stoploss and takeprofit: a specific approach to trading, which is not a given

The sum of these different "edges" seems to be profitable.

As I approached the markets in the past, I went through moving averages, pivots... all these things, and always said "hey, this thing doesn't work" or "this thing is unprofitable", and then I quit using them. I now realize how much the market is moved by a bunch of people like me, unprofitable and each trying to make money with their single edge: fibonacci, elliot, news, cycles, "my neighbour told me...", you name it. When all these people come together, or rather, when enough of these theories and trading methods, that alone might not be profitable, come together and agree, the market turns. I suppose one could build a system that weighs each edge with a value attributed to the edge which is simply a function of how many people use it, or rather how much that edge moves the market.

I often said "forget the news", "the news is useless"... wrong, of course. The news moves a lot of people. But probably the news alone will not make you profitable. The point is to be able to incorporate in your trading as many edges as you can compute mentally (in a correct way), because all these edges move people. A very elaborate automated system could definitely do this, but I am not capable of building it, so I am going to stick for now to my discretionary/automated systems based on just 3 or 4 edges, or better said, "ingredients".

Another way to achieve it and use all these edges together would be to gather 10 people using ten different edges (even better if 20), regardless of whether they're profitable or not, and ask them how they would trade and why. When there's a majority in favor, you can make the trade. Of course they could each be given different weight and so on, but you get my point. All edges are good, as long as you can weigh them correctly. And of course you can't say: I'll only make the trade if all edges agree, because then you might trade once a year or never.

I guess one simple way to do this is to spot, even on different forums, ten different users employing ten different edges, prolific users, who write posts all the time about their views on the market and their trades. Then you put all their links to their latest posts on one web page, and check it out as you're about to make a trade. These are the kind of users I would try to spot:
1) newbie trading just on news (doesn't matter if profitable or not) and mentioning them all the time (today this and that...)
2) elliot wave guy
3) support/resistance guy
4) pivot guy
5) fundamental analysis guy (long term fundamental trend) who comments about the economy
6) top and bottom picking guy (like me), who's always trying to pick a bottom and is always unprofitable
7) others I am forgetting...
8) and so on...

Actually this is exactly what I will do next, looking mainly on the trading journals across a variety of trading forums, such as elitetrader, this one and some others.

Last edited:
Not too good, but I am automating more and more my method, with more and more univocal requirements, and therefore less and less stressed attached to each trade. Every trade is a sum of edges, that's how I see it now. It's not gut instinct, subconscious requirements... it's clearly defined edges, as ingredients of a recipe: highly ovesold, important support level, confirmation/gap/uncertainty in previous trend.

Snap1.jpg

Little better. Now playing breakouts as well, according to slightly different requirements, which are almost the opposite:

1) Not overbought
2) slightly above resistance
3) preceded by uptrend

Snap1.jpg

Total mess. I guess this is when I start screwing around, or maybe not. I'll try more to see if the method works regardless of whether i am tired or not. It would be perfect if it did.

Snap1.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.