Must-have trading book...

Charlton said:
Baruch

This Darvas guy must be really really good. Looking at only the last page of your last posts you have recommended him at least 14 times !

May I ask:
- do you trade his methods ?
- do you have anything to do with any organisation which promotes his material ?
- without giving a link to any site, what are the main benefits of following his advice
- what, briefly, are the main aspects of his style/methodology etc

Charlton

1. Yes.
2. No.
3. Huge profits - and you only have to work 5 min every day.
4. Read his books.
;)

Charlton said:
Quenkish

Thanks - I hope that Baruch can enlighten us a little with a summary. OK - I could go and buy the book if I really wanted to, but a little persuasion would not go amiss. But as I said I don't just want a link I would like to hear some reasoning and I'm sure other readers would appreciate that also.

I have an open mind and ready to listen to all opinions

Charlton

Well, the Darvas book cost only 10 bucks, so I suppose all here can afford that? If you read my links, you will get a summary. ;)

http://www.meta-formula.com/How-I-Made-2-Million-in-the-stockmarket.html

chump said:
Frugi,
I'm not much for reading fiction so I'll just give you a few books I've read that have made a lasting impact..

BF Skinner Contingencies of reinforcement
BF Skinner The Analysis of Behavior

Ludwig WittgensteinTractatus

Ayn Rand Atlas shrugged

L Peters Peters Principle (and generalisations of the principle)

Vilfredo Pareto Cours d'economic politique (english translation)

Robert Koch The secret of achieving more with less in management

Mark Twain The Adventures of Tom Sawyer & Huckleberry Finn

You actually read and understood the Tractatus? Kudos to you my friend. As to Ayn Rand, I used to like her a lot when I was a teenager. I now think she is simplistic and blissfully ignorant, which isn't always a bad thing.

chump said:
"she is simplistic and blissfully ignorant"...so do I ,but everything I read that made an impact did not make an impact simply because I agreed with it in it's entirety so much as it opened up a new avenue of thinking for me.
"Understood"..how can I ever know that I did..I would have to be the author to really know if I understood what was in his mind when he wrote that text.

Good points Chump, as usual.

chump said:
"she is simplistic and blissfully ignorant"...so do I ,but everything I read that made an impact did not make an impact simply because I agreed with it in it's entirety so much as it opened up a new avenue of thinking for me.
"Understood"..how can I ever know that I did..I would have to be the author to really know if I understood what was in his mind when he wrote that text.

As Wittgenstein himself said of Tractatus: "The important is not what I wrote in the book, but what I didn't wrote in the book". It's very important to understand that.

PS. A very good book about Ludwig Wittgenstein:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/01...f=pd_bbs_1/103-2318999-8391066?_encoding=UTF8

chump said:
LOL...just goes to show I should have read the book that he never wrote ;)
You have no idea how close you are bringing the truth within reach, Chumpy.

This is because when you are able to do that, you are able to read that which serves to baffle almost nearly everybody else, and it is not the written word either.LOL.

Talking of what is not the written word ......

Here is an interesting excercise, the tickle IQ Test.

http//uk.tickle.com/test/iq/start.html

I have just done it out of curiosity, but I am too embarrassed to tell you my results. LOL.

SOCRATES said:
You have no idea how close you are bringing the truth within reach, Chumpy.

This is because when you are able to do that, you are able to read that which serves to baffle almost nearly everybody else, and it is not the written word either.LOL.

What I find interesting about you is the charlatanry and chutzpah. What is truth, and whose truth are you talking about? To assume everybody is baffled while you know the truth is not only silly, it is also what makes intelligent people laugh at such pretentiousness. Life is too short and and a little humility would not hurt because, despite your delusions, you know nothing. Truth is an impossible thing (?) to monopolise. This is, in my opinion, very clear. Perhaps not to those who equate claim of knowledge with knowledge itself.

FXSCALPER2 said:
What I find interesting about you is the charlatanry and chutzpah. What is truth, and whose truth are you talking about? To assume everybody is baffled while you know the truth is not only silly, it is also what makes intelligent people laugh at such pretentiousness. Life is too short and and a little humility would not hurt because, despite your delusions, you know nothing. Truth is an impossible thing (?) to monopolise. This is, in my opinion, very clear. Perhaps not to those who equate claim of knowledge with knowledge itself.
HA ! Ha ! Ha ! You are funny !

There are those who don't know that they don't know.

There are those who know that they don't know and are in a fog.

Then there are those who know absolutely that they know, but, the latter are not going to reveal anything to you.

It is best if you cling to the opinions you currently have. They are safer, blissful, I should imagine.

FXSCALPER2 said:
I forgot to add....

It is not that truth is impossible to monopolise, it is that it is far to valuable to give to anybody just because they happen to ask for it.

LOL

And, furthermore, what I have stated above is an Axiom.

An Axiom, in case you are unaware of its nature, is a fundamental truth.:LOL:

SOCRATES said:
Here is an interesting excercise, the tickle IQ Test.

http//uk.tickle.com/test/iq/start.html

I have just done it out of curiosity, but I am too embarrassed to tell you my results. LOL.
Your namesake, I would guess.

However, look what nugget they dollop up to you if you get every answer wrong. Would visionary philosophers feel quite so flattered having read this?

Attachments

• low_iq_screen.gif
    low_iq_screen.gif
    15.8 KB · Views: 314
frugi said:
Actually that's given me an idea Chicken. How about everyone lists their 10, or indeed any number of favourite non-trading books, the ones that have earned permanent pride of place on the bedside table. No criteria as such, as long as nobody mentions the bleedin' Da Vinci Code . :) It just needs to be well-thumbed and even better have caused a paradigm shift in your thinking, or have given superlative joy to your soul, that sort of thing.

We want the finest tomes available to humanity and we want them here and now.

Call the police Mrs. Blennerhasset, the moderator's clearly confused t2w with a site for pretentious angsty teenage boys with their precocious noses buried earnestly in The Magus. :D No, seriously it could be interesting.

If there's a hefty response I'll split it into the Foyer and eat a weasel for brunch.

mr roger hargreaves wrote some interesting books i remember reading a while back. they are not trading books, although there are some lessons we should all learn that reflect in our trading. karma has a strong vein flowing throughout these books.

titles i recommend are:

mr greedy, mr mean, mr small, mr tickle, mr bump and, mr happy. he did write some others, but these arent so relevant to trading imo.

i think mr bump is particularly useful for struggling traders, and mr noisey should also be read by people who cant stay off chat boards.

mr messy and mr silly may also help those with deep psychological issues.

Last edited:
Best Books

Trading in the Zone - Mark Douglas
Come into my trading room - Elder
Fooled by randomness - Naseem Taleb

This thread is brilliant. I am Smiling at the screen though you cant see it. I want to thank You all that have helped in your own way as a microcosim of society capitalisum in fact. Soccy and all the others members here who know. You all should know that various coins have dropped and im on my way... The journey is far from over but progress is in jumps following consolidations and efort. Thut the underlying trend is still ...In the way beneficial to me.. Thanks.

And the various factions of the great majority. I thank you too for you continue to repoduce the bahavious and reasoning on these threads as those you represent in the market shall sustain me. Thanks.

This may be a false dawn but testing results are on track. My testing sofar is on Yahoo delayed 5 min bars. But when I get the real time stuff I will hope to start a no indicators type thread to learn from your good selves more and demonstrate to other newbies that as socrates said "you owe it to yourself to try" is the way to go.

Thanks for the PM soccy, Brauchs antics on this thread to amplify 1 of his edges is just one of the family of angles you were getting at I do thinck... Wow and it was all under my nose. Pride and predejuice indeed......People people people people people its ALL ABOUT YOU!!!! There are plenty of leads now you get grafting....like Socrates said...grafters evolove methods.

Thank you ALL.

Last edited:
Baruch said:
Mark Douglas is overrated. :eek:

As One who KNOWS IT ALL has said before "door stop...this is one of them"

To clarify I am Quting the said person who does know it all. I am not stating my self to be in that class...no way not by a long shot.

Frugi,

1) It's not about the bike - Lance Armstrong
2) The luxury of time - Jane & Mike Tomlinson
3) Modern Coin Magic - J.B. Bobo
4) Into the Upwave - Bob Beckman
5) The modern fundementals of golf - Ben Hogan
6) Inner game of golf - Timothy Gallway
7) How to stop worrying and start living - Dale Carnegie
8) The bag of slugs - VIZ

Thanks Charlie... I must add Mr Noisy to my wish list.