Must-have trading book...

Chicken Curry said:
I agree with Soc.

I only have 2 books in my library, neither of which has been instrumental in making me a successful trader.

I also ignore the news. Just follow the price action for stocks that are known to be liquid and fairly volatile.

Well, you should read this book - it's very funny to read:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0000CLV3T/203-0731360-8642339

PS. And you also learn a lot about dancing.

chump said:
I will say this again although I doubt it be will be anymore acceptable this time ....perspective passing itself off as a general law of applicability is not the mast to nail your colours to.

One persons personal ordeal for want of a better expression is just that ..one perspective.

Long and torturous are simply ill defined terms....a search for "perfection" that may say take a decade may simply be nothing more than an exciting apprenticeship period to some other people...whilst for others it is 'felt' to be "long"

torturous experience of having to learn about oneself may for another person be an highly satisfying process if that process is in harmony with that persons view of life....

this is much to do with the old viewpoint, is the semi filled glass of water half full or half empty...you see there is no right or wrong perspective as it all highly subjective .

However what is wrong is to take a single perspective and try to make it fit as being soley 'right' thereby imbuing it with some sense of being a Law fit for general applicability...it is not so .

Moreover it is highly possible to 'manufacture' a perspective to pursue a goal,. At the bottom line we are despite our complexity quite simple aniimals in other ways. We have the ability to create perpsectives that perform for us as a best 'fit' to apply to goals. Hence , my reference above to "harmony". I won't go on as there is more than enough clinical research on this topic that I do not have to defend it.

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to chump again.

Originally Posted by sp1 Yes. Like the meaning of "the GAME"
SOCRATES said:
No, not quite. It is a tongue in cheek explanation of what was possible then, in those days, and under those conditions, before markets became regulated.

has it been demonstrated to your satisfaction that the same objectives are not achieved by different channels. Post what ever regulation may come to pass. Ways are evolved to achieve the same objectives?

Regarding the lesson form the chapter with the book seller. The methods of the book seller is it related to one aspect of that book recounting the events of Dairy (spelling) concerning internal dissent.?

Thanks

sp1 said:
has it been demonstrated to your satisfaction that the same objectives are not achieved by different channels. Post what ever regulation may come to pass. Ways are evolved to achieve the same objectives?

Regarding the lesson form the chapter with the book seller. The methods of the book seller is it related to one aspect of that book recounting the events of Dairy (spelling) concerning internal dissent.?

Thanks
Absolutely, all of it is a game, with points to be scored, tokens to be exchanged and values to change hands.

Chicken Curry said:
It doesn't exactly say 2,000,000 of what.

Could be 2,000,000 failed trades.

2,000,000 dollars.

PS. Read more about Nicolas Darvas here:

http://www.stressfreetrading.com/Article-on-Stock-Market/Nicolas-Darvas.html

jezza888 said:
Why, apart from being funny and learning to dance, and any other extra pointer you've made in your last 15 posts re. Darvas, is this book so important and good to read Baruch?

Yes, it is the best book about stock trading ever written.

PS. Read more about the book here:

http://www.meta-formula.com/How-I-Made-2-Million-in-the-stockmarket.html

Last edited:
jezza888 said:
Are you on commision?! :eek: :LOL:

No, I just want to send a message: Don't buy all that modern crap, buy some good classics, like Darvas' books. But the Livermore books are also good. And Baruch's... :D

Actually that's given me an idea Chicken. How about everyone lists their 10, or indeed any number of favourite non-trading books, the ones that have earned permanent pride of place on the bedside table. No criteria as such, as long as nobody mentions the bleedin' Da Vinci Code . :) It just needs to be well-thumbed and even better have caused a paradigm shift in your thinking, or have given superlative joy to your soul, that sort of thing.

We want the finest tomes available to humanity and we want them here and now.

Call the police Mrs. Blennerhasset, the moderator's clearly confused t2w with a site for pretentious angsty teenage boys with their precocious noses buried earnestly in The Magus. :D No, seriously it could be interesting.

If there's a hefty response I'll split it into the Foyer and eat a weasel for brunch.

There is a book that is a must have, absolutely essential reading for any trader who is successful.

It is not about trading. It is about people.

The title of the book is :~

RESENTMENT AGAINST ACHIEVEMENT

Author: Robert Sheaffer.

Publishers: Prometheus Books

ISBN Number: 0879754478.

Price about US$ 20=

I strongly recommed it. It is book that clearly explains the mechanism of envy and its implications, the forces that drive it and their consequences for the drivers of these forces. It is brilliant. It does not tell the envious and corrosive how not to be the way they are however.

Last edited:
Oops sorry sulong my intention was not to offend with that hastily chosen choice.

Since you ask, I found that the execrable quality of the writing completely ruined any thrill there may have been in the (somewhat plagiarised) story for me, but I do not wish to criticise anyone for their choice of literature. Style is only one of the mighty trio, after all, and anyway I've got a 'book' about Pikachu on my bedside table, so I'm on very unsteady ground here. :)
If it's in your top 10 or you liked it I'd love to know why, that would be much better. Let's keep it positive.

Thanks for kicking things off Soc. Your rec is 20 quid on UK Amazon, so it's on my Wish List for the moment. Here's hoping this innocent brain-picking exercise yields further hidden gems to keep it company. :D

Not offended at all. I was just checking on the ground rules, and was curious as to why that title was chosen instead of say "Debbie does Dallas; the sequel".
:cool:

Thanks

I believe that you can improve your trading immeasurably by reading this fabulous classic.

You just need to be rather abstract and get outside of that box.

Chicken Curry said:
I believe that you can improve your trading immeasurably by reading this fabulous classic.

You just need to be rather abstract and get outside of that box.

:cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy: