Moderation

Yes, this is a good idea if the board is too large for a couple "global" mods to overlook. Each one could be assigned a defined area to moderate. Mods have less tendency to trip over each other in that case.

Whether T2W is at point or not is up to debate, though. I think 5 mods is a good number, but it's only my 2nd day on the job so I can't offer a more concrete opinion than that. :)

it would have to be a huge board imo. with 5 mods on i will guarantee you'll be tripping over each other big time.

but have fun with it, don't feel too peeved when you spend several minutes editing a thread to keep it live. only to find your masterpiece has been deleted while you edit (y)

I honestly think that at the moment, your moderation policy is only as strong as your weakest link... That's not meant to be a criticism, just an observation

By having clearly defined boundaries, it immediately becomes apparent whose moderation style encourages member participation, and whose style stifles debate.

That's not a criticism of any particular moderator, but its a fact that the relationship between moderators and members comes down to the type of personality that individuals possess. By having separate areas these potential clashes of personality could potentially be avoided.

I don't post anything remotely of value these days as I know a certain moderator will most likely stick their oar in, but if I knew that the chances of having my post vandalized where unlikely, then I'd be more inclined to post.

i don't believe that can happen now under the new "rules"

Maybe you didn't notice mate but we are from different time zones :)

it only takes 2 on at the same time to be an issue, you'll find out soon enough ;)

so who's the unfortunate one who's got the early morning uk time slot?

Last edited:
it would have to be a huge board imo. with 5 mods on i will guarantee you'll be tripping over each other big time.

but have fun with it, don't feel too peeved when you spend several minutes editing a thread to keep it live. only to find your masterpiece has been deleted while you edit (y)

Good examples of why separating responsibility is a good idea !

However, Tar actually makes some very valid points. I often forget that the moderators role is voluntary, and I understand why someone doing this free of charge would want to minimize the amount of hassle and commitment. Being pragmatic, I guess you have to do it to suit what the moderators are prepared to put up with.

It's been suggested before but a lot of the problems with spam etc could be handled semi automatically at least. All it needs is some sort of reported post feature, if 5 or so regular members flag something as iffy, its gets stuck in the moderation queue. I'd quite happily flag those kinds of posts and I suspect most other regular members would too.

I honestly think that at the moment, your moderation policy is only as strong as your weakest link... That's not meant to be a criticism, just an observation

By having clearly defined boundaries, it immediately becomes apparent whose moderation style encourages member participation, and whose style stifles debate.

That's not a criticism of any particular moderator, but its a fact that the relationship between moderators and members comes down to the type of personality that individuals possess. By having separate areas these potential clashes of personality could potentially be avoided.

I don't post anything remotely of value these days as I know a certain moderator will most likely stick their oar in, but if I knew that the chances of having my post vandalized where unlikely, then I'd be more inclined to post.

All very cryptic i'm sure.

I'll tell you what...I don't Need to moderate....how about that!

The changes to the icons were made yesterday and as Steve has said we are just waiting for them to be uploaded to the correct location. After that all moderators will have the same badge that just says moderator.

Good examples of why separating responsibility is a good idea !

However, Tar actually makes some very valid points. I often forget that the moderators role is voluntary, and I understand why someone doing this free of charge would want to minimize the amount of hassle and commitment. Being pragmatic, I guess you have to do it to suit what the moderators are prepared to put up with.

It's been suggested before but a lot of the problems with spam etc could be handled semi automatically at least. All it needs is some sort of reported post feature, if 5 or so regular members flag something as iffy, its gets stuck in the moderation queue. I'd quite happily flag those kinds of posts and I suspect most other regular members would too.

there are rules in place to stop this tripping over each other, it shouldn't be an issue if it was managed properly, like perhaps having a lock button or something so other mods are locked out from deleting posts in a thread or from a particular member. or simply they actually look at who's was doing what before acting.

they've tried in the past to auto the anti spam to relieve mods of the task. remember the constant phone ads littering the place? it dealt with those very well. it's a very clever system but often gets it completely wrong and members posts have to be released from it's clutches. saves work in one place only to move an expanded workload elsewhere. i'm guessing they still run it?

I actually moderate on another, smaller board that has 6 mods, so I agree with you. For better or worse. :cry:

I don't think it's that bad, though. Most of the time the most you'll get is a "this thread has already been moved" message or something. Only hurts your pride if you wanted to get there first. :p

So without further delay, let me welcome tar, vielgeld and ffsear to the moderation team. They will have full moderation powers from day one.

Please help them to do their jobs properly and remember they are your moderators. They are here to make sure that the community is a good place to be and that everyone involved works within the guidelines, dealing appropriately with those that don’t and doing this free from staff influence and attacks from their fellow members.

How do you pronounce that name?

Doesn't bode well as a moderator name to me. Of all the names one can pick - that's pretty lame one to favour...

Call me old fashioned if you must :eek:

There is the possibility I have misinterpreted the abbreviations and happy to be corrected. :)

fire over the list of "moderator names" and i'll pick one ;)

There you go old boy - most appropriate would you not agree? Feel free to let your imagination run riot. I'm not fussy or anything :whistling

HearNoEvil
SeeNoEvil
SpeakNoEvil

Hear-No-Evil-See-No-Evil-Speak-No-Evil.jpg

That would be fun
I was thinking about few other members, but that could be extreme

Anyway I think Shakone as a moderator with full powers to delete/ban on the spot would improve the quality considerably

Last edited: