Metastock 8.0 file format

JamesG_oz

2 0
Hi guys,

I am using Metastock 8.0 EOD and would like to be able to pull prices from the metastock database into an Excel spreadsheet. I have some rudimentary ability with VBA so I am planning on writing some sort of function to query the Metastock files but I am struggling to work out the file format. Does anyone have any experience of accessing Metastock data files directly?

Many thanks for any help!

James.

zambuck

Experienced member
1,608 102
I would suggest reading the chapter on OLE....in the manual....with some adjustments it is very good indeed....

JamesG_oz

2 0
Hi Zambuck,

Thanks for the pointer but I don't think OLE is going to do quite what I need. What I really need is to be able to put the close price of a given stock on a given day in a cell, where the stock and the day are values in other cells.

So, for example, if A1 contains "NCP" and A2 contains #01/08/04#, I want to be able to put a formula in A3 along the lines of:

=MS_close_price(A1,A2)

or, even better:

=MS_price("close",A1,A2)

and have the contents of A3 update automatically as I change the contents of A1 and A2.

I have been through the OLE section in the manual and it just seems to be glorified cut and paste. Short of pasting 10 years worth of data for 4000-odd stocks into Excel and doing some kind of VLOOKUP, I don't see how OLE is going to get me there. I think I need to write some kind of file-access procedure to pull the data direct from the metastock files but the format is a bit inscrutable.

Would appreciate any other thoughts you had!

James

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

But it's thanks to our sponsors that access to Trade2Win remains free for all. By viewing our ads you help us pay our bills, so please support the site and disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock