OLD Metastock Format

DepthTangent

I dont have/use Metastock, however I wish to convert some ASCII into OLD Metastock format. Can anyone advise of any utilities that are able to perform this conversion ASCII > OLD Metastock ? (Any utility except MakeMS) This is quite an important task for me....

In addition to that, are there any data resources available online either subscription or free that provides OLD Metastock format ? Currencies, commodities, Indices, stocks, bonds etc.

Regards.

Is the format of old - O H L C V..???...or something else.....??

Why do you want to spend your efforts to convert to old format??

You can have yahoo data downloaded into MS if you so wish....but it is highly unreliable....What would one expect for a free data??

HTH

you can try eoddata - there are seven or eight options for data formats. (eoddata.com)

I then convert using The Downloader.

purplekiwi

(I have no financial or commercial interest in eoddata, but am a fairly happy customer. data is usually ok, just the occasional blip)

There are mutliple version of the Metastock format.

Pre-1996 there was the Computrac/Metastock format that allowed 255 securities-per-folder. This format had Y2K issues.

In 1996/1997, Equis brought out Metastock v6.5 which supported 2000 securities-per-folder. The format was slightly updated to fix Y2K issues.

In 2002 (?), Equis released Metastock v8 which supports 6000 securities-per-folder.

So, it depends what you mean by "old".

For all intents and purposes, you can convert into any of the formats as long as you limit yourself to 255 securities per folder then it can be read by programs that use the "old" format (eg. Supercharts, Tradestation etc.)

Cheers,
RIchard.

Thanks Richard

The issue is with regards to having 255 securities per folder as opposed to 6000. Iam still not quite sure how to set-up the master file with not being a regular metastock user. Iam asuming that if I save 30 years of DOW data in latest Metastock format, this should not be a problem for my software that only reads 255, as the DOW will be considered as one security. Right ?

Yes that's correct. Give it a go and see for yourself - nothing beats trying it.

Consider upgrading your software to read the current Metastock format. The 255 format is almost 10 years out-of-date!

Cheers,
Richard.