memory upgrade

bansir

494 42
Just a note to see if anyone has had a similar experience.
I posted on CTS regarding problems with 'Marketmaker' running slowly. The main reason for this was a lack of RAM so I decided to add another 128 Mbytes to the existing set.

I got a good price quote from a catalogue company, opened an account and orderd 128Mb SDRAM PC100 spec.

The component arrived in due course. On the delivery note it read
128 Mbyte and also on the anti-static pack it confirmed 128Mbyte.

I installed it, checked my system memory and hey presto....

I now have 128+128=192Mbytes??? :eek: of memory available!!!!

I'll lift the lid on the PC tomorrow and check out the chip part nos.

Anyway MM runs pretty well now even with 192Mb.

Have I done anything wrong folks?

Cheers,
Neil

DaveJB

Experienced member
1,159 42
Depends on the RAM your PC wants - the RAM is very likely to be just what it's meant to be, but your PC can't 'see' it all... not just a problem with single/double bank stuff etc. Basically just because it fits doesn't mean it'll work as planned (seeing half the actual RAM fitted to a card is not unusual). Best bet is probably to buy from Crucial using the ram selector (see www.dabs.co.uk) if your PC is other than a generic clone. Checking your motherboard manual is a good move too.
Try calling the supplier, tell them your PC only identifies half the RAM fitted, and see if they can replace it, although at around £15 for 128Mb /£25 or so for 256Mb it's probably cheaper just to buy a replacement!
Dave

ChartMan

Legendary member
5,580 46
So how much was being reported before you fitted the new one? I guess 128M....If so then it looks faulty. Try it on its own. Does it read 64M?

bansir

494 42
Thanks for the help davejb and chartman.

The memory board uses 'hynix' HY57V561620BT-H devices.

These are 256Mbit chips organised as 16Mx16. There are four devices present on the card giving a total capacity of 16Mx16x4=1024 bits.

If nowadays a byte is still regarded as 8 bits then I do indeed have 128Mbytes on the card.

The PC reports only 64Mbytes when I use only the new card.

davejb-blimey, 15 quid :!:, thats a good price, I'll certainly check the link you provided.

Thanks again for your comments.
Best Regards,
Neil

bansir

494 42
oops, I mean 16Mx16x4=1024M bits

DaveJB

Experienced member
1,159 42
Ok,
Crucial on Dabs have a sort of 'pick the right RAM' link, www.eclipsecomputers.co.uk was where I pulled the prices from (had a mag open next to me when I read your post <g>)
The RAM is probably good, just your motherboard can't access it properly... a problem that seems to be dying out these days, thank goodness - I had a 64Mb PC-66 RAM upgrade years back that my then PC only recognised 16Mb of, this isn't that uncommon with older kit.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

But it's thanks to our sponsors that access to Trade2Win remains free for all. By viewing our ads you help us pay our bills, so please support the site and disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock