Member Changed Name Suggestion

OK, so does anyone actually see any value in name changes? Nika and I discussed it, but were under the impression everyone was quite attached to them.

The only purpose I can see for them are 1) lulz, 2) because the lulz weren't so luly and you are trying to distance yourself from them or 3) there's a genuine security and safety issue.

Are people genuinely not attached to name changes? they are kinda a pain in the rump for everyone involved.

Jodh.

p.s. the ignore list automatically updates when names do change.

I can see why people want to change their T2W name and as there has been a reasonable number over the years then there does appear to be a need to allow it. The only issue for me is knowing when it has happened and what the previous name was.

Paul

Jodh, I can't see any valid purpose in allowing a nick change.

Your points 1 & 2 sum it up. Point 3 is HIGHLY unlikely. They’re just nicks, not detailed DNA profiles…

If someone is unhappy with their karma on t2w, tough, live with it or move on or change your manners – not your nick.

What about if previous names are listed in the members profile page?
Then if anyone is bothered enough, they could look it up.

Last edited:
OFFS- The point is some people may want a name change for reasons other than
covering up their previous posts.

. . . . or, compromise between Paul and Tony's suggestions. As a rule of thumb, nick changes should be discouraged and there should be a presumption against doing it. If members really feel the need to do it (for whatever reason) - let them do so, but have a history attached to their profile so that anyone at anytime can see the changes. That way, everyone will know who they're dealing with and interacting with. Either that, or ban it altogether. If the latter route is adopted, when new members register, there would need to be comprehensive warning signs that usernames are for life and that no subsequent changes will be allowed.
Tim.
PS. Jason posted ahead of me, but before I saw his post.
I don't know why members want to change their names - best ask someone who's done it. I can only speculate; reasons may include:
1. Bored with their current name.
2. Joined T2W on a whim and then the site grew in importance and, as time goes by, they become more aware of their nick and wished they'd spent more time choosing a better one in the first place.
3. They want to cover their tracks because they're embarrassed about existing posts.

Last edited:
OK, so does anyone actually see any value in name changes? Nika and I discussed it, but were under the impression everyone was quite attached to them.

The only purpose I can see for them are 1) lulz, 2) because the lulz weren't so luly and you are trying to distance yourself from them or 3) there's a genuine security and safety issue.

Are people genuinely not attached to name changes? they are kinda a pain in the rump for everyone involved.

Jodh.

p.s. the ignore list automatically updates when names do change.

Sharky had an unwritten policy for many years that you could change your nick if you misspelt at signup etc. I once wanted to change my nick and he said it would only confuse people as i had made a couple of hundred posts at that point.

Then a year or two ago he started a thread that anyone could change nicks, dont know what caused him to change his mind on the subject.

I think it was wasp who successfully got this nick changed from wasp to sweepy_long_bananna_fiend or something silly like that.

And that would be....?

Jason101, was the first number that came into my head, when Jason was already taken. I don’t care what my name is.
Some people, though feel it represents them in someway, ie Dante, maybe Bramble has a meaning for you?
People change, their trading style may change, they may want to reflect this. Why did the Royal Mail spend millions on coming with a great name like Consigni? It must be important to some people. Why does T2W let us have names, why don’t they all give us a designated number?

It does not matter to me, it seems to matter to you. Why not live and let live by way of a compromise?

People have history. It’s what makes them – them. Good and/or bad. It’s important.

If you’re stellar – you don’t want to change your name. If you’ve FU’d, you do. The measure of any character is their ability (or not) to pull back from the Abyss and deal with what they’ve done/said.

With the exception of some notables who have gone from individual to corporate (good for them) there are few who have gone through nick change for any other reason than raw embarrassment.

The thing is, changing nicks will not cure it. A dick is a dick.

Last edited:
It does not matter to me, it seems to matter to you. Why not live and let live by way of a compromise?
Compromise is what people do when they have no clear idea what they really want or if they do, no real passion to achieve it, and the result is a muddy-brown mixture that satisfies nobody.

Last edited:
I have just been reading through some of GladiatorX’ s threads and I am lost for words. No wonder there is such strong emotion around, with the suggestion he is HaloTrader. Gob smacked!! If this is so then I am ******* mad too.

DD's suggestion seems like the least brown of the muddy-brown that will inevitably come from changing rules about changing nicks.

So, from this point on, lets just say that while nick changes are not out of the realm of possibility, you'll need a pretty good reason for it (simple spelling change, you've gone corporate and need to re-brand, you stupidly signed up with your real name and realized that was a bad call, etc.)

Or, if you REALLY REALLY REAAAALLY want to change your name, a big box of Ben's Cookies to T2W HQ (one cookie per letter should suffice), and in that case we'll find a way to log it to your profile for history to judge you...

Reasonable?

That handles t2w admin position on the basis for a name change (sort of...).

What about addressing the apparently wider need of the non-psychotic t2w community to know who was who and who is who?

Regardless of the why, there still seems to be a need in many to know the 'who was' regardless of the why..

Alternatively, if folk feel that strongly about a name change - let them completely drop the past, leave that nick and all its posts etc dead in the water and take a new nick and start from scratch?

That handles t2w admin position on the basis for a name change (sort of...).

What about addressing the apparently wider need of the non-psychotic t2w community to know who was who and who is who?

Regardless of the why, there still seems to be a need in many to know the 'who was' regardless of the why..
Agreed.
Alternatively, if folk feel that strongly about a name change - let them completely drop the past, leave that nick and all its posts etc dead in the water and take a new nick and start from scratch?
The problem with this Tony, I suspect, is that it's essentially the same as multi-nicking - is it not? Even if membership 'history' attached to the profile of the new name, it will artificially inflate the size of the forum.