Member Changed Name Suggestion

Trader333

When a member changed their user name T2W used to list the old one with the new for a length of time. This does not happen any more that I know of and yet it was quite useful in my view.

Can this be done again ?

Paul

hi T333, sorry you waited for a reply, thought admin would have picked up this ball. yes they do still list the old name with the new one, the "formally known as" details appear under the persons user name these days, and not part of the user name as was.

not many have name changes, so you prob haven't seen it.

Don,

Think that's 'cos it doesn't appear.

Clearly Mr. Mullins is under another additional 'nick' so you wouldn't expect him to have a warning label ;), but Mr. Rothschild doesn't show up as "formally known as" genics, and as he suggests himself, tenbobtrader doesn't show up as "formally known as" far too many ******* names to mention.

Maybe it's just you guys that can see 'em. A kind of staff perk eh? ;)

hi T333, sorry you waited for a reply, thought admin would have picked up this ball. yes they do still list the old name with the new one, the "formally known as" details appear under the persons user name these days, and not part of the user name as was.

not many have name changes, so you prob haven't seen it.
:LOL:

Androosh in the Forum Support role deals with all the username changes, I'll drop him a msg now to clarify exactly what the procedure is for a username change.

Androosh in the Forum Support role deals with all the username changes, I'll drop him a msg now to clarify exactly what the procedure is for a username change.

See. There's another one that got under the radar. When did Sue change her name then?

Hey all,

We have changed the process slightly, but it still shows the user's old username for a while. What we now do is add "Formerly Known As <xyz>" in the user's signature. They are required to leave it in their signature for a week, but after that time they are able to remove it. We've changed it this way because it only creates one name change, and doesn't force the user to type "Formerly Known As <xyz>" as part of their username every time they log in.

Hopefully that helps answer it a bit. :)

--Androosh

A week is not long enough in my view. I visit the boards a lot and have not noticed many of the recent changes in names. I think two weeks would be better.

Paul

A week is not long enough in my view. I visit the boards a lot and have not noticed many of the recent changes in names. I think two weeks would be better.
I agree with Paul that one week isn't anything like long enough - but nor is two - IMO. I had no idea that 'genics' is now 'N Rothschild' until I read Sandpiper's post. I can quite see that a member who changes their name wouldn't want reference to their old name in their signature for very long - so why not move it somewhere less conspicuous? E.g., could it not be one of the options on the drop down menu when one clicks on the username - and then it could remain there permanently?

On the broader issue raised by d_d, I think there ought to be greater clarity on this from on high. By that I mean, in practical terms, what's the actual difference between a (legal) name change and (illegal) multi-nicking? I realise that multi-nicking artificially increases the size of the membership which has implications for advertisers etc. but, apart from that, for regular everyday users of the site, they are effectively one of the same. Or am I overlooking something basic (again!)
;)
Tim.

Hey all,

We have changed the process slightly, but it still shows the user's old username for a while. What we now do is add "Formerly Known As <xyz>" in the user's signature. They are required to leave it in their signature for a week, but after that time they are able to remove it. We've changed it this way because it only creates one name change, and doesn't force the user to type "Formerly Known As <xyz>" as part of their username every time they log in.

Hopefully that helps answer it a bit. :)

--Androosh
While I don't personally understand why anyone would want to change their nick or why admin would allow it, if it's going to be a 'facility' of the site, perhaps it would be more appropriate to have a separate list which is available for anyone to view at any time and remains so in perpetuity.

I've come back off leave and found a whole bunch of new idiots that sound very similar to a whole bunch of idiots that used to be here - but aren't any more. It just makes more work for my ignore button.

While we're at it, if you’re going to not only allow but continue to endorse this strange capability, can you organise it so that those who change their nicks automatically update themselves onto everyone’s ignore list as well as it's invariably those that most of us want to ignore that want to change their name to avoid being ignored anyway.

edit: re: timsk's comments on Genics/NR - none of the above applies, but even so, I have to ask...why?

Last edited:
Because they have decided that what they were saying before was BS, for instance?

But they still spout BS and when they are so anally retentive they can't defecate they just expel copious volumes of malodourous methane.