Lazy Thread

TheBramble

Legendary member
In that this has probably been covered elsewhere a million times, but it's for my daughter and she's in a real hurry...

Her brand spanking new 2Ghz Laptop has started running REALLY slowly. Ages to fire up any app. AntiVir can't update itself and Sygate keeps asking to confirm access for it even though she's clicking the 'remember response' button. I have no idea if that's ANYTING to do with it but there you go.

Looking at the running processes is a nightmare - millions of the b*uggers.

WebRebate (whatever that is) keeps spawning itself after been deleted.

CPU doesn't seem particularly busy - between 1-6% with no apps running. But it is just fantastically slow. Just the last few days and she's had it a few weeks now.

Is there a prog or suite of progs I can run to (a) find out what the problem is and (b) fix it?

TIA

I suppose I could try that as a last resort, but as she's off to Uni in Canada on Sunday, I don't think I'd have time to set a new one up for her before she goes.

Does it sound like a h/w issue then?

Bramble, The last time I had a problem with the Anti-Virus not updating was infact a virus, obviously the little b*ugger already was in the machine and didnt want the updates to download and kill it.

I had to wipe everything and reinstall the lot, but your new machine shouldnt have been that vulnerable I would have thought.

I would try the manufacturers help line.

Re-installed latest AntiVir and it's found 7 trojans already!!! I'm sure I did that as soon as I got it home...???

I'll wind up the adawares and spybots after it's finished.

Thanks all.

Hi Tony:
Suggest u also d/l STINGER from http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger/

Stinger is a stand-alone utility used to detect and remove specific viruses. It is not a substitute for full anti-virus protection, but rather a tool to assist administrators and users when dealing with an infected system
(It is particularly good for finding the viruses that slow down boot ups etc).

assuming all windows updates done.........