Laptop Memory

yacarob1

Experienced member
Could one of you technical experts out there please tell me if it is easily possible to upgrade laptop memory ?

My local computer shop does not seem keen to help me on this one and refers me back to the manufacturer - which is always the most expensive option I find.

Yes it is but the ease depends on the model, which model do you have ?

Paul

yacarob1 said:
Could one of you technical experts out there please tell me if it is easily possible to upgrade laptop memory ?

My local computer shop does not seem keen to help me on this one and refers me back to the manufacturer - which is always the most expensive option I find.

Go to www.crucial.com/uk enter the details of your laptop and they will tell you the type of memory you require and the maximum amount your laptop can handle. They also have a tool you can download which when run on your laptop will determine how much memory you have installed. Typically a laptop will have two memory slots with one or both filled with memory.

I recently upgraded my laptop which had one slot full with 256M of memory, I took this out and replaced it with two 512M sticks from Crucial.

Stew

theknifemac said:
Go to www.crucial.com/uk enter the details of your laptop and they will tell you the type of memory you require and the maximum amount your laptop can handle. They also have a tool you can download which when run on your laptop will determine how much memory you have installed. Typically a laptop will have two memory slots with one or both filled with memory.

I recently upgraded my laptop which had one slot full with 256M of memory, I took this out and replaced it with two 512M sticks from Crucial.

Stew

Yep, crucial.com, download their little prog, it interrogates your pc and asks you if you want to buy some + installing mem on a lappy is a piece of p**s (usually something like it slots in under the battery).

out of interest, did your local PC shop say why they wouldn't do it? seems awfully strange to me.